[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

DTS eligibility discussion

Henry Muto

I was wondering how many of you would be interested in a DTS eligibility potential rule change idea.  Being a contract league it is super hard to pick up players and put them on your roster with contracts when they are basically unknown players.  Now with us expanding out to 10 DTS players starting in 2022 this will give more room for our draft picks to be held where as in years past they were being dropped.  So more guys will already be on people's DTS.  

I had an idea that I think would work well for the leagues but wanted to see what others thought.  This would not take effect until the start of the 2022 season of course.

Currently only rookies picked up can be put on DTS.  My thought was if there was a 2nd year player that was picked up before Labor Day Midnight ET (since this is the deadline for everyone to place contracts on guys) that player would be eligible to place placed on the DTS.

So basically the thought is the guy was a rookie last year and has yet to start his 2nd season so he would be eligible to be placed on DTS (for 2 years max)

Once Labor Day passes all 2nd year players would need to be given contracts like normal.

Also if a team drops a 2nd year player that has a contract already then they would not be DTS eligible.

Only players that have never had a contract are eligible.  If they were on say a DTS last season and dropped then they are eligible.  That be ok since they had never had a contract at any point.

Let me know what you guys think and again this would not start until the 2022 season.

• Like 1

Thanks for this discussion, since I'm picking up a few unknowns right now. 

I'm the new kid on the block, so I want to make sure I'm understanding everything with DTS. The rulebook currently states  this exemption: For the first season, any player with less than three years NFL experience may be placed on the DTS.  What does this mean? For example, I just won a bid on Donald Parham who only has one year NFL experience. Based on our current rules, he can't go on DTS? I'm just a little confused on the exemption I listed earlier.

11 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

That "first season" wad the inaugural season of the league. Could be deleted.

However, i would support an immediate emergency vote that any new owners can do this for their first year as a thank you for joining the league.

Well dam, I surely misread that. Thanks for the clarification.

• Thanks 1

Current rules are player must be a rookie when picked up and to have never had a contract to be placed on DTS.

New proposed rule would allow you to pick up a 2nd year player who was a rookie last year that has never had a contract and place him on the DTS if and only if you pick him up before Labor Day Midnight.  After that point any pick up of a 2nd year player like all non rookies you would need a contract.

This makes sense to me as the player technically has not started his 2nd season yet and still somewhat a rookie still as far as never played more than his rookie season.

Just a way to help people pick up these younger unproven guys without contracts.

I would want to limit it to this don't want to do the full 2nd year or 3rd year guys that's too much.

Most DTS are full anyway to start the year but gives you a few more options to add younger players unproven.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1. I prefer the rule as rookie only with the option to leave for three years. 
  2. This has historically been the churn and awarded late savy drafters and kept talent on the wire at times. 

We need to protect the 20/7 (now 10) relatively short roster dynamic which forces owners to make difficult cuts and contract decisions. 

Or just scrap the contracts, open a BB waiver wire, and expand rosters to 35-40

5 hours ago, LordOpie said:

That "first season" wad the inaugural season of the league. Could be deleted.

However, i would support an immediate emergency vote that any new owners can do this for their first year as a thank you for joining the league.

Thank you for the consideration, but I'd rather not muddle with the rules for a newbie like myself. That statement was just confusing, but I get it now. Most of my unknowns are TEs anyway as I try to be a TE hoarder like you. Lol.

• Thanks 1