[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

2023 Rule Change Proposals

Trojanmojo

2023 Proposed Black Sails rule changes from yer’ Cap’n.

Blackbeard’s Treasure

Under this new rule, dues would go from $70 to $75. $5 per team per year would be added to Blackbeard’s Treasure. The map to th’ treasure would be unlocked by winning th’ Black Pearl two years in a row. The treasure would continue to accumulate until the map to it is unlocked so the longer we go without a back-to-back winner, the larger this treasure/payout would be.

The Queen Anne’s Revenge

Under this proposal, we’d add a third ship that would be th’ second tier ship below th’ Pearl and above th’ Dutchman. The top three finishers each year would be promoted to Th’ Pearl and the bottom three would be relegated to Th’ Dutchman.

If passed, all Cap’n’s slated to serve aboard th’ Dutchman in 2023 would move to th’ Queen Anne’s revenge and 8 new Cap’n’s would be added to Th’ Dutchman. This would increase payouts a bit and movement between leagues would go from 37.5% (6 of 16) each year to 50% (12 of 24).

Payouts would change to:

Th’ Black Pearl
24% - 1st
11% - 2nd
7% - 3rd
42% - total payouts for th’ Pearl

Th’ Queen Anne’s Revenge
22% - 1st
9% - 2nd
31% - total payouts for th’ Queen Anne’s Revenge

Th’ Flyin’ Dutchman
20% - 1st
7% - 2nd
27% - total payouts for Th’ Dutchman.

Because the league software fee is spread out between 24 teams and the total revenues would rise by 50%, 
this would increase the amounts paid out in every tier even though the percentages look lower. For example, under the new structure, th’ Dutchman winner would get about $264ish whereas th’ Dutchman winner this year received $249ish. 2nd place in th’ Dutchman got $83ish this year while under the new proposal they would have gotten  $92ish.

If passed, we’d tweet battle of th’ boats matchups in week 8 from 1v1, 2v2 etc to 1v2, 3v4 etc as you can would have 3 1st place teams and more than 1 1v1 matchup would not be doable. 

A bit of trivia:
https://www.history.com/.amp/news/6-famous-missing-treasures

Blackbeard’s Treasure
History’s most famous pirate (real name: Edward Teach) is thought to have served as a British privateer during the War of Spanish Succession in the early 18th century before embarking on his brief but notorious career in piracy. From 1716 to 1718, Blackbeard and his 40-gun flagship, Queen Anne’s Revenge, prowled the West Indies and the Atlantic coast of North America, preying on ships heading back to Spain laden with gold, silver and other treasures from Mexico and South America. In late 1718, a British naval force led by Lieutenant Robert Maynard succeeded in killing Blackbeard after a hard-fought battle; Maynard had the infamous pirate decapitated and hung his head from the bowsprit of his ship. Before his death, Blackbeard claimed to have hidden his massive treasure, but he never told anyone its location. Treasure hunters have been searching for it ever since, seeking clues everywhere from Virginia’s Chesapeake Bay to the Caribbean and Cayman Islands.

Edited by Trojanmojo

17 hours ago, devilwoman said:

Captn' Dave, de ye thinks ther be enuf pirates wanting to join de adventure to fill anotherrrrr boat?  Me likes the treasure hunt of de back to back winnarrrrs!!!!!!

Possibly. I may be able to wrangle up a few unsuspecting pirates from Tortuga, errrr, work. 

• Like 1

Ill start with expansion.  Id be for it should we get 8 and as an addendum if we can only get 4 new players Id be for adding a few decks to each ship so that 10 pirates could fit on each.

The next point is inter-related to both Blackbeard treasure and potential expansion.  As is, Id be disinclined to vote for a treasure should the extra $5 apply to the whole league.  Already the payouts on the Pearl are richer but I understand that incentive.  I personally need no more sweetener to want to win each season be it in The Pearl, Dutchman, or Queen Anne. If only those aboard the Pearl paid into the cup Id be for it. 

If we do expand I might make a motion to increase team movement through the ships.  I would propose that the winner of the Dutchman skip Queen Anne and go to the Pearl while second and third place move to Q.A. for the next season. Similarly last place in The Pearl would hit the captains crapper and move all the way down to the Dutchman while  6th and 7th place head to Q.A..  In the Q.A.  the top 2 move up while the bottom 2 move down.  In my mind this would have several advantages:  even if you had a terrible year and wound up in the Dutchman, you could be right back in the Pearl the year after.  Every single team would have at least a 1/8 chance to win up to the Pearl to start their dynasty and have a chance at Blackbeards treasure (as an aside Id be inclined to vote for BB's treasure if there was more movement year to year in a 3 ship league).   Every game would matter In The Pearl as all 8 would be playing for something that last week and it would add a big bonus to the Championship game in the Dutchman.  The drawback would be in Q.A. as the bottom 2 would go down to the Dutchman, that last weeks game would be meaningless as even if they win they're moving down.  I haven't thought of a way to make that game meaningful outside of naming rights or something similarly fun but low key.

My 2 pieces 8.

• 8 months later...

One more rule change proposal. 

Each team would have the ability to loan one of their own players out to another team in their own league for week 8 only- the battle of the boats - perhaps in exchange for a portion of the booty should that league win the battle. Or could just be a free loaner. This would encourage teamwork during the battle.

Edited by Trojanmojo