[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Got my tickets to the 68 Ventures Bowl

rajncajn

This will actually be my first bowl game. I know it's not a big deal watching two 6-6 teams teams battle it out in a meaningless bowl, but for South Alabama it's a pretty big deal being a fledgling program going to only their 2nd bowl game. I'm excited to see them play, regardless and excited to see my daughter get that experience with the band.

Also, a FF note: If you get a chance to watch the game, check out Caulin Lacy for the Jags. He's been ranked as high as 1st for a short while, spent much of the year at 3rd and is currently 6th in the nation for receiving. Unfortunately for the Jags he's entered the portal for his senior season and will likely go to a big-name school. I expect him to do very well wherever he goes and find his way into the draft. Keep an eye out for him in 2025. I think he'll do better than his fellow Jag Jalen Tolbert, who is playing for the Cowboys now.

Edited by rajncajn
  • Like 1

I remember going to the Blue-Gray game in Montgomery, Alabama as a kid.  Usually one could get free tickets from a local grocery store for spending a certain amount of dollars.  I have good memories of going with my dad.  One year he let me down to the field when the game was over, and I got a couple of autographs. I think the last one I went to was as an adult in the early 90's when I visited my family for the holidays  (they played it on Christmas day).

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the pre-game parade and pep rally last night. They had a full-blown Mardi Gras parade with several floats, a lot of high school bands and both Eastern Michigan and South Alabama bands. They ended the parade at Mardi Gras square in Mobile with a band face-off. We had a blast and they had tons of people there. I talked to one of the Eastern Michigan band kids and she said they've loved it. It was the first time most of them had ever experienced a parade like that and they were loving the weather.

Getting prepped now to head to the game. Can't wait! 

Funny side-note, Eastern Michigan's colors are green & South Alabama and the fans are supposed to wear red, so it's going to look like the Christmas bowl.

I didn't get a chance to post earlier, but South Alabama put a beat-down on EMU both figuratively & literally. Apparently at least one EMU player didn't know how to take an L with dignity & decided to run up and sucker-punch one of the USA players while they were singing the alma mater with the band and fans. Chaos then ensued and the EMU player soon found the error in his decision. Needless to say it didn't go very well for him. Video in the link:

Eastern Michigan-South Alabama brawl: Postgame chaos erupts after sucker punch at 68 Ventures Bowl - CBSSports.com

There was another play before the half where USA made an interception and the same EMU player dragged one of the USA players down by his facemask and then held him down on the ground by his facemask on our sideline. A fight broke out in that one too, but it was quickly broken up. IMO the player should have been ejected as well and IMO EMU should see some fines from the NCAA because if you watch the highlights, you can see a LOT of facemask grabs and swipes from the EMU players. To me, it looked to be something they were coached to do.