[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

League history

Grits and Shins

I've been digging into our league history ... I posted a some of this stuff a couple weeks ago. Sadly I can only dig up the playoff history for 1992-1996 and not the regular season.

I was surprised by the owner turnover in our league. Of our 12 owners:

2 owners, myself included have been in 13 years

1 owner has been in 12 years

2 owners have been in 11 years

1 owner has been in 8 years

1 owner has been in 5 years

1 owner has been in 3 years

3 owners have been in 2 years

1 owner is a newbie this year

In those 13 years we have had a total of 50 different owners!

1995 was our biggest turnover year as we lost 6 owners that year ... largely due to eliminating the 1 keeper that we had been doing. It was this year the original commissioner of the league (whom it was originally named after) bowed out.

This last year was our best year in regards to turnover as we only had to replace 1 owner.

In 13 years I have 4 division titles, 4 wild cards, 2 superbowl appearances, 1 superbowl victory and 1 toilet bowl victory. I am also most active on the waiver wire having spent more money on transactions than anybody else. I have the best regular season record (by percentage).

The other 13 year vet has killed me in the categories that count though. He's 15-6 in the playoffs and has gone to SIX superbowls :eek: winning THREE of them. This makes him the high dollar winner in our league. Like me he has 4 division titles, 4 wild card and 1 toilet bowl victory. And he has managed to do all this spending almost half what I have on transactions! Between 1997-2004 I have managed a 6-4 record against him in the regular season and have a 4-2 record against him in the playoffs (92-04).

The 12 year vet is my arch nemesis ... (although I'd have to say the 13 year vet it is very close between this guy and the 13 year guy). He has 3 division titles, 4 wild cards, and 3 superbowl appearance with 2 superbowl victories. Between 1997-2004 I have only managed a 5-6 record against this guy in the regular season and have NEVER met him in the playoffs. That changes this week as for the first time in our league history I meet this guy in the playoffs. To make matters worse, he has the team to beat this year and I don't like my chances. :D If I do manage to find some way to win this week it will be doubly sweet. Last week I managed to defeat a team that I was 1-7 against lifetime in the regular season and the only time we had met in the playoffs previously we TIED and he defeated me on tie-breakers.

The 11 year vet has never even been to a superbowl. He is the only veteran in our league with more than 2 years to not appear in a superbowl. He is this year's number 1 seed and may actually make it to the superbowl ... where I hope he will lose to me. He has made it to 2 toilet bowls only to lose them.

2000 - 2003 we have had a newbie owner make it to the superbowl ... winning it all in 2000 and 2002. Of those 4 owners only 1 has managed to even make it back to the playoffs in the subsequent years and he has only done it ONCE.

We have 1 owner who has been in the league 2 years now and has compiled a regular season record of 7-19 ... but has not lost a game in the toilet bowl yet. Last year he went 3-0 in the toilet bowl to win his entry fee back. This year he has won the first game.

So who did you start last week?

609925[/snapback]

Oh, yeah. Thanx for talking some sense into me. Had CuMar and Brown until about 10 minutes before kick-off. Dropped Brown and put Deuce in. Won by 8.:D

Conference finals this week. Based on Brown's one-and-a-half quarter appearance last night, looks like he earned a spot on the pine for the rest of the year.

Owner turnover is a way of life in our league too. The league is 10 years old and only 2 charter members are left. Of course, they have an ATTITUDE, but that's O.K. They've earned it!

Oh, yeah. Thanx for talking some sense into me. Had CuMar and Brown until about 10 minutes before kick-off. Dropped Brown and put Deuce in. Won by 8.:D

Conference finals this week. Based on Brown's one-and-a-half quarter appearance last night, looks like he earned a spot on the pine for the rest of the year.

610576[/snapback]

:D Glad it worked out for you ... even though it didn't work out for my Boys B)

My original league started off with 8 players back in '88. It grew insane fast (within three years) and we were spending up to a grand a year. Lot's of friends turned into enemies. People were colluding and doing just about everything but stabbing you in the chest. The league is now 20 strong and still going on but I left and started my own in 93 and let's see, we've had turnover about the same as yours. The Commish and I are co-founders with three other owners joining the following year. It's a 16 man (sometimes women) league and we usually have at least one vacancy per year. The most we've ever had is 4 openings. I've won it twice - back to back in 98 and 99. Since then the goings have been TOUGH.

Just goes to show that fantasy football is 100% luck...

610675[/snapback]

whoa - for those of us who have had a lot of success, I think we'd concede that it's at least 30% luck. Saying it's 100% is reserved for those who don't win much :D .