[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

andy reid's vague game plan

AIO

Starters To Play, For Now

December 23, 2004

Andy Reid laid out his plan for Monday's game in St. Louis. The team is preparing as normal and his regular starters -- with a few exceptions -- will take the field Monday night against the Rams.

"The starters are going to start and play and then we will take it from there," Reid said. Freddie Mitchell will start in place of the injured Terrell Owens, but will move into the slot when the team uses the three-receiver formation. Also, Steve Sciullo replaces the injured Jermane Mayberry.

Reid said he will go into the game with a predetermined plan; the score will not dictate how he will platoon his personnel.

"I will have it in my mind beforehand," Reid said. "It is a great opportunity right now to see some of the young players play."

Receiver Billy McMullen is just one of several reserves that should see extended action over these last two weeks. Rookie fullback Thomas Tapeh and rookie lineman Trey Darilek may also see more action. Same goes for the defense as rookie defensive backs J.R. Reed, Dexter Wynn and Matt Ware could see more reps.

Of course, the main issue is just how much do starters like Brian Westbrook have to play in these final two games to stay sharp while at the same time avoid any injury. Westbrook suffered a season-ending triceps injury in the division-clinching season finale a year ago.

"That is a catch 22," Reid said. "I don't want him (Westbrook) to get hurt. But, I do want him to practice and go through that and do the things he needs to do to play the game. Obviously, I don't want him to get hurt."

As for the receivers minus T.O., Reid said: "I am expecting them to perform at a high level. Todd (Pinkston) has been doing that all season, Freddie has been doing it all season, and (WR) Greg (Lewis) has done it all season. Now they are going to have a few more opportunities and Billy will work in that mix well.

"We are not going to change the offense, we are going to continue to push the ball down the field. Now it is time for somebody else to step up opposite Todd and make the difference."

Mitchell, for one, is up for the challenge.

"If the ball comes in my direction, I'm going to catch it. I'm a wide receiver and that's what I am supposed to do," Mitchell said. "I will definitely take advantage of any opportunity I get in this offense.

"I just want to show everyone I can work the outside. A lot of people have only seen me in the slot. I want to show I can work the outside, too."

link

Starters To Play, For Now

"That is a catch 22," Reid said. "I don't want him (Westbrook) to get hurt. But, I do want him to practice and go through that and do the things he needs to do to play the game. Obviously, I don't want him to get hurt."

As for the receivers minus T.O., Reid said: "I am expecting them to perform at a high level. Todd (Pinkston) has been doing that all season, Freddie has been doing it all season, and (WR) Greg (Lewis) has done it all season. Now they are going to have a few more opportunities and Billy will work in that mix well.

"We are not going to change the offense, we are going to continue to push the ball down the field. Now it is time for somebody else to step up opposite Todd and make the difference."

630032[/snapback]

:D So Westbrook will at least go through the motions to get ready to play, whether he plays or how much is unknown. Wonder who will be pushing the ball down the field...to see the receivers step up. Specifically, I wonder how long McNabb will be doing it.

John Clayton is on local radio here in Seattle several times per week with his own show on saturdays. On wednesday, while giving fantasy advice on the Softie Mahler show, he said almost word for word..."i've talked to two different people from the Eagles and they basically told me if Brian Westbrook is on the field more than 5 plays Andy Reid's job may be in jeopardy". Of course he was probably exaggerating a bit like usual, but I think its safe to say we're going to see a lot of Mr. Levens the next few weeks.

John Clayton is on local radio here in Seattle several times per week with his own show on saturdays.  On wednesday, while giving fantasy advice on the Softie Mahler show, he said almost word for word..."i've talked to two different people from the Eagles and they basically told me if Brian Westbrook is on the field more than 5 plays Andy Reid's job may be in jeopardy".  Of course he was probably exaggerating a bit like usual, but I think its safe to say we're going to see a lot of Mr. Levens the next few weeks.

630554[/snapback]

Can the same be said for McNAbb? Will he also be limited? I have him or Leftwich to choose from.

John Clayton is on local radio here in Seattle several times per week with his own show on saturdays.  On wednesday, while giving fantasy advice on the Softie Mahler show, he said almost word for word..."i've talked to two different people from the Eagles and they basically told me if Brian Westbrook is on the field more than 5 plays Andy Reid's job may be in jeopardy".  Of course he was probably exaggerating a bit like usual, but I think its safe to say we're going to see a lot of Mr. Levens the next few weeks.

630554[/snapback]

:D

I'm starting Westbrook...maybe I should pick up Levens and start him :D