[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Playoff weather

devilwoman

I looked at the weather report yesterday....said Sunday was going to be mild (high of 33) with only 10% chance of snow in Green Bay

Edited by Sores

switching to Seattle.......... the weather looks to be awful. There was a few inches of the white Athena that fell north & west of Seattle on the peninsula...... and supposedly heading our way.

At any rate it will be cold by our standards..... with some kind of precipitation beit rain or snow.

645617[/snapback]

Awesome! I would love this game to turn into an old-school Ice bowl! Bring on the bourbon & snowblowers!

Tedy,

A man after my own heart: :D

Weather: Pats like it outside

By Karen Guregian

Friday, January 7, 2005

FOXBORO - Football is meant to be played outdoors. Without a roof overhead. In the elements. In places like New England.

That's real football.

Then, there is the brand that is played indoors. Dome football. On a carpet. In a pristine, climate-controlled environment. Where playoff teams such as the Indianapolis Colts, St. Louis Rams, Atlanta Falcons and Minnesota Vikings play their home games.

We'll call that faux football.

Not every football player agrees with that assessment. Some really don't care about the type of venue. Football is football. It's as basic and fundamental as that.

Others, however, aren't as fond of the indoor version, and you can almost guess some of the names of the players in the Patriots [stats, news] locker room who support the original premise.

``I love the fact I play here. I don't want to play in a dome. I love the fact we're grass, you can look at the field right now and it's ugly,'' linebacker Tedy Bruschi [news] said Wednesday, as the snow fell on Gillette Stadium. ``That's the only place I want to play, on an ugly, muddy football field. That's football.

``Growing up in San Francisco, I used to play on the streets, running into cars in the parking lot. So I want it ugly.''

You might say there's something about a carpet that rubs Bruschi the wrong way. He'll debate you all day long about the merits of grass vs. carpet.

``It just feels different. It's not the same,'' Bruschi said. ``I should have spikes coming out of my shoes. I should have grass stains on my uniform. That's the way I feel it should be. I shouldn't come out of a game with turf burns on my elbows.''

Many purists have long agreed. Football isn't supposed to be a clean game. Dirty uniforms are part of the charm. So are games played in inclement weather. And this time of year, that means games in freezing rain, sleet and snow.

Some of the most memorable Patriots games in the recent past involve foul weather. Who can forget the final game played at Foxboro Stadium, otherwise known as the Snow Bowl vs. Oakland? That 2001 playoff victory over the Raiders on a frozen field blanketed with white powder was magical.

Or how about last year's regular-season game with the Miami Dolphins [stats, news], when fans celebrated touchdowns with their version of snow fireworks, tossing up the white stuff in unison all over the stadium with every score.

Given the way it is, without similar facilities, the truly great teams should be able to win in any environment, on any kind of field or surface.

The Colts, a potential foe for the Pats next Sunday, haven't been as dominant playing without a roof overhead. Of their four losses this season, three have come outdoors (New England, Kansas City, Denver). Peyton Manning also hasn't had quite the same success playing in less than ideal conditions.

During last year's AFC Championship in Foxboro - in the snow - Manning had a miserable time, throwing four interceptions.

The good news is the Patriots will play all of their remaining games outdoors, including the Super Bowl in Jacksonville, should they get that far.

They won't have snow in the ultimate game, but they also won't have turf burn.

``I think when you get to a playoff game, you don't care what (the weather) is. You don't let it affect you. It's a game you've been waiting for your whole career,'' Bruschi said, ``but snowy, cold and windy . . . that's perfect conditions for me.''

In other words, yesterday would have been a great day for football.

Then, there is the brand that is played indoors. Dome football. On a carpet. In a pristine, climate-controlled environment. Where playoff teams such as the Indianapolis Colts, St. Louis Rams, Atlanta Falcons and Minnesota Vikings play their home games.

We'll call that faux football.

645894[/snapback]

Interesting point that all the dome teams that played this past weekend... WON!... With STL and MIN winning OUTDOORS! IND still would've beat DEN in DEN.