[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pennington doesn't practice today....

uglytuna

Small clarification - Pennington did arrive at practice, but was ill and Herman Edwards sent him back to the lockerroom while Pennington was attempting to get through a walk-through. He was receiving IVs for the balance of yesterday's practice in an effort to get him better ASAP. Jets are hopeful that Pennington can participate in a short practice today before the team heads to Pittsburgh tomorrow.

This is of some concern because it's a short week, and yesterday's practice was the most critical of the week when the gameplan was installed. However, as Edwards pointed out in his press conference, Pennington is a pretty cerebrtal player, and if anything it gave him an extra day to rest his shoulder. I'm hopeful that Pennington at least gets in some work today, but as long as he's good to go on Saturday then this is a non-story IMO.

Quincy carter also missed practice yesterday to be with his ill mother, and Edwards has already announced that Brooks Bollinger will be his number 2 on Saturday. God help us if it comes to that.

Couple Steelers also missed practice yesterday with flu-like symptoms - LBs Joey Porter and Kendrell Bell.

It's pretty amazing how fast getting IV fluids will push you through a stomach flu. I had a raging flu like that while pregnant and ended up at the hospital. They gave me an IV, which I hate BUT I felt a lot better by the next morning.

I'm no Jets fan, but I'd hate to see them get shot in the foot by the stomach flu. When they lose, there should be no excuses. :D

No worries - Joe Namath is in today's New York Post "guaranteeing" that Chad will be OK. Joe even offerd to bring him some chicken soup...with matzoh balls.

I'm sure ol' Joe has plenty of experience with the flu - at least the Irish flu. Anyway, here it is...

IN SICKNESS OR HEALTH, NAMATH COUNTING ON CHAD

January 13, 2005 -- WHAT had been growing into the feel-good story of the AFC playoffs, the Cardiac Jets threatening to shock the world, suffered a relapse yesterday when an ill wind blew across Weeb Ewbank Hall.

Chad Pennington took sick and missed practice.

Quincy Carter flew home to be with his ailing mother and may not be back in time for Jets-Steelers Saturday.

Brooks Bollinger was the No. 1 quarterback at practice yesterday.

Just when Pennington finally was looking as if he has enough arm to take the Jets higher, his only heaves yesterday were off the field, in the trainer's room, where trainer David Price, yet another Jet working overtime, hooked the QB up to an IV trying to drown the bug with liquids.

Dr. Broadway Joe Namath was summoned yesterday for his assistance. Namath was asked what he would tell Pennington if he walked into the trainer's room and saw the quarterback there sick to his stomach.

"I'd ask him if he wants some chicken soup, whatever I can get for him," Namath told The Post, chuckling. Then he turned serious. "Some matzoh balls in it too," Namath said.

The Jets are listing Pennington as probable after catching the flu/virus from his wife and infant son Tuesday night.

"He'll be ready to play," Herm Edwards said.

Edwards conceded, however, that he is not a doctor.

"I would be shocked if he didn't," Edwards said.

Indeed, if a shoulder that will require postseason surgery can't keep Pennington down, a little food he can't keep down certainly won't. But at the quarterback position, against a defense that will dare Pennington to beat it, there is a huge difference between chucking and upchucking. Price, a Pro Bowl trainer who is suddenly the Most Valuable Jet, now has 48 hours to work his magic. If the game was yesterday, however, Pennington, white as a ghost, could not have played.

"If anything, it rests his arm another day," Glass Half-Full Edwards said.

Sources close enough to Pennington to catch the flu/virus tell The Post that Pennington's nausea was absolutely not a commentary on Paul Hackett's game plan.

Namath had a message for his fellow long-suffering Jet fans. "I would tell Jet fans to relax and stay calm," Namath said, "'cause Chad's gonna get some tender loving care from his wife."

Informed that wife Robin was also sick, Namath said, "Well at least they'll be on the same page."

What Namath meant to the Super Bowl III Jets, Pennington means to these Jets. They have no prayer against the Steelers with Carter or Bollinger. But Namath is so excited about these Jets that he will be in attendance Saturday at Heinz Field to cheer them on.

"I know it could be the year because they have the opportunity right here and we haven't seen them play their best football yet," Namath said.

Namath didn't sound as worried about Pennington's stomach as he does about his arm. "I trust my eyes and I trust what I see," Namath said. "I don't believe he is 100 percent throwing the ball. When the ball's not covering the same distance at the same time, you're not 100 percent."

Namath did love the TD bomb to Santana Moss against the Chargers. "Whenever he has time to set, step up and throw, yeah, that's pretty good."

Namath is encouraged by the Jets defense. "I think this defense compares favorably with any defense I've seen the Jets have," Namath said. His take on Eric Barton? "His physical action overtook his intellect there."

He sees LaMont Jordan as a combination of Matt Snell, a better blocker, and Emerson Boozer, quicker afoot. "I don't think you're missing much whenever Curtis [Martin] needs a blow," Namath said. "I like the change of pace. I would say as good as Matt was, and Boo, too, Jordan I think is stronger."

Pennington might practice today. He might not. Namath's guarantee: chicken soup. With matzoh balls.