[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Boxing again

A Little Bit Special

http://proxy.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/col..._dan&id=2026271

I can't believe anyone would sanction Riddick Bowe to fight again. I saw a piece on him a couple of years ago and he sounded like he had brain damage.

Bowe update: Goossen announced that former heavyweight champ Riddick Bowe, 37, was granted a boxing license in California last week, paving the way for him to fight April 7 at the Pechanga Resort in Temecula on a "Best darn Sports Show Period" boxing special (Fox Sports Net, 8 p.m. ET).

"I appreciate the fairness and honorability the California commission displayed in granting me my license," Bowe said in a statement. "All I have ever asked from anyone is to make a judgment on my health based upon my actual medical tests and by personally speaking with me. I feel great. My swagger is coming back."

Bowe (41-1, 33 KOs), who will face Billy Zumbrun (18-5-1, 10 KOs), is on the comeback trail after eight years out of the ring. Until he returned to the ring this past September, his life outside of the ring had been marked by prison time – and questions about whether he had suffered brain damage during his career. In his comeback fight last year, he scored a second-round knockout of Marcus Rhode in Oklahoma. Bowe has also been licensed in Missouri and in Washington, D.C., where he hopes to fight in June.

The televised undercard will feature 2004 Olympic gold medalist Andre Ward (2-0, 1 KO) vs. Roy Ashworth (3-1) in a six-round middleweight bout.

Two other former world champions will also appear on the card: heavyweight Jirov (33-3, 29 KOs), a former cruiserweight champ and a 1996 Olympic gold medalist, and former junior lightweight champ Steve Forbes (26-3, 7 KOs).

Jirov is fun to watch.  He went the distance with Toney.  Did you see Manny Paquia (sp) vs Morales few weeks back?  That was a great fight.

760147[/snapback]

Jirov vs Joe Mesi was good too.Mesi was dominating until Jirov knocked him silly late in the fight.Mesi held on for dear life and eeked out a decision.

I cant wait for Gatti Mayweather

Jirov vs Joe Mesi was good too.Mesi was dominating until Jirov knocked him silly late in the fight.Mesi held on for dear life and eeked out a decision.

760360[/snapback]

That was a good fight. Had it gone another round Jirov would have won that one. As far as Mayweather-Gatti, I doubt it will be much of a fight. While I love Gatti, I think Mayweather will beat him soundly. Ever since Gatti has started boxing instead of pounding it out, he hasn't been as impressive. The only chance Gatti has is to go old school on Mayweather, there is no way Gatti can box with Floyd.

760360[/snapback]

One of the three Gatti, Mayweather or Judah!

Either 2 out of three will be one hell of a fight!

One of the three Gatti, Mayweather or Judah!

Either 2 out of three will be one hell of a fight!

762354[/snapback]

Judah is very talented but I question his heart and ring smarts..He gave away a victory to cory spinks because he started showboating and got caught with a cheap knockdown..His chin was very questionable Vs Kostya Tszu..

Edited by whomper

Judah is very talented but I question his heart and ring smarts..He gave away a victory to cory spinks because he started showboating and got caught with a cheap knockdown..His chin was very questionable Vs Kostya Tszu..

762859[/snapback]

Yeah but did you see the punch he put on spinks that made him lean! Man I jumped right out of my seat when I saw that!

And with Kostya when he got stole he was like holding up his finger in the motion "I'm alright" and fell straight down!

Well, Bowe did it. He barely won a decision last night against some no-name fighter. He weighed in at a wopping 289lbs :eek: and had to be saved by the bell at one point. He still has his jab but was understandably rusty in most other facets of his game. The crowd booed when the decision was announced. He scored a knock down with a body shot, but was wobbled two or three times in the fight. Zumbrun had him hurt and on the ropes at one point and I'm pretty sure had it not been close to the end of the round the ref would have had to stop it. Instead the bell rang and Bowe was able to recover between rounds.

Well, Bowe did it.  He barely won a decision last night against some no-name fighter.  He weighed in at a wopping 289lbs  :eek: and had to be saved by the bell at one point.  He still has his jab but was understandably rusty in most other facets of his game.  The crowd booed when the decision was announced.  He scored a knock down with a body shot, but was wobbled two or three times in the fight.  Zumbrun had him hurt and on the ropes at one point and I'm pretty sure had it not been close to the end of the round the ref would have had to stop it.  Instead the bell rang and Bowe was able to recover between rounds.

770316[/snapback]

I saw a brief clip on espn.He was a few pounds short of butterbean.

Mayweather is giving gatti no respect in the press conferences.I think he may have too much for Gatti but I love Gatti and would love for him to make some noise in that fight..

Bowe looked like shucks. All he had was the jab. Sometimes he would double up on it, but he didn't show anything in the way of combinations. Had it been a 12 round fight he would have lost. He is done. He needs to stay retired, rather than embarrass himself.

Mayweather is giving gatti no respect in the press conferences.I think he may have too much for Gatti but I love Gatti and would love for him to make some noise in that fight..

770358[/snapback]

Personally I like Gatti a lot more than Mayweather, but Gatti doesn't stand a chance, especially since he has gotten more into boxing in lieu of punching.

• 4 weeks later...

Gatti vs Ward 1,2or 3 were all that is right and good about boxing. Those two went at it tooth and nail and I was glad to see Mickey make some cash at the end of his career. He was always a stand up guy who gave his all and while he never won a championship he was a great role model for boxing.

As for Gatti vs Mayweather I think Floyds speed will be the big factor and if Gattis face can hold up and not cut or swell as bad as he has in the past. I just hope it's not 12 rounds of Arturo trying to land big shots while Floyd moves around the ring. Of course Mayweathers hand problems could alo dictate the style he chooses to fight.