[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fantasy Baseball

darin3

Wow, someone dropped Luis Castillo. Sure, Pierre's not getting on base as much, and when he is on base, isn't running too well, but crap, Castillo is a near-elite 2B.

But here's my problem (a good problem, if there ever was one)... I am STACKED... (no, not man-boobs)... my team is outstanding, up and down the line. Can't figure out WHO to dump in order to make a run at Castillo.

Starting Pitchers: Prior, Colon, Escobar, Mussina

Closers: Cordero, Looper, Baez, Batista

Other Pitchers: Urbina, Shields, Tavarez

C: Lopez

1B: Wilkerson, Sweeney, Overbay

2B: Boone

3B: Chavez

SS: Renteria, Guillen

OF: Beltran, Abreu, L. Gonzalez, Hunter, Floyd, Wells

My only thought would be to drop Escobar. FYI, Jason Kendall's also available... not sure if I'd have time to package Lopez and Boone off for a stud pitcher or something like that... and pick up Castillo/Kendall and dump Escobar... could also just drop Escobar outright for Castillo.

Thoughts?

Oh, it's a 10-team H2H league, 2 divisions. I'm 1st in my division at 25-15, winning this week 8-2 with no signs of losing any more categories.

I wouldn't cut bait with Escobar quite yet. He's very underrated, he had an ERA under 4 last season to go with almost 200 Ks and a respectable WHIP.

Why not dump Julian Tavarez? Isringhausen should be back in about a week, plus Tavarez isn't even getting all the saves in St. Louis right now anyway. Does the league count holds?

Could you win Saves with only 3 of those closers? That may be a way to make room.

I also have Escobar and am holding on to him as this is really his Spring Trainng.

804722[/snapback]

Only reason I considered dropping Escobar is because I have Colon, and I usually don't like keeping 2 SPs on the same team (unless of course they are elite hurlers).

It's a H2H league, so it's really a week-by-week thing as to if I win saves (or any other category for that matter). Closers are at a premium, as with any league, so I may be able to dump some closers later in the season for some big bats, which will help me in the playoffs.

I wouldn't cut bait with Escobar quite yet. He's very underrated, he had an ERA under 4 last season to go with almost 200 Ks and a respectable WHIP.

Why not dump Julian Tavarez?  Isringhausen should be back in about a week, plus Tavarez isn't even getting all the saves in St. Louis right now anyway.  Does the league count holds?

804727[/snapback]

Nod re: Escobar; see above.

I considered dropping Tavarez. Couple of points to consider here, though. One being the fact that I heard Izzy might not be back for several weeks. Perhaps I'm reading dated and/or unreliable information. Secondly, though, is the fact that Tavarez's numbers are ridiculously sick right now, and he will continue to vulture wins on a very good team.

All things being considered, I seriously doubted I'd land Castillo, as I was #8 out of 10 in waiver priority. Somehow, though... I got him! :D ... Ended up dropping Urbina, who doesn't look like he's going to close despite Percival's troubles. Plus, it's not guaranteed he'll be traded, and even if he is... what his role would be is a question.

So, great... I added some 2B depth and speed. Castillo and the Marlins will come around. :D

Am I crazy or is Castillo not that good? He went undrafted in one of my leagues and is still sitting there on the wire. I don't know - I just think there are definitely at least 10 superior 2Bs. I'd rather reserve a bench spot for Urbina, whose value may spike if he's traded, than for a backup 2B.

Am I crazy or is Castillo not that good?  He went undrafted in one of my leagues and is still sitting there on the wire.  I don't know - I just think there are definitely at least 10 superior 2Bs.  I'd rather reserve a bench spot for Urbina, whose value may spike if he's traded, than for a backup 2B.

805577[/snapback]

Nah I guess you're not too crazy. He's been nothing short of crappy so far this season. But I know he has a ton of value in terms of avg, steals and runs. I don't know if I could pick 10 other 2Bs I'd rather have. The Marlins are going to continue winning... and Pierre's improvement will directly lead to Castillo's.

I have a bevy of good relievers. In a H2H league, Urbina was most definitely expendable.

Not to toot my own horn, but my team is ridiculously good and I am showing no signs of a decline. :D

Note regarding Castillo: he's owned in 97.2% of all ESPN leagues... not sure that says much, but honestly, a guy at that percentage should be grabbed and stashed on the bench. So I did it.

Nah I guess you're not too crazy.  He's been nothing short of crappy so far this season.  But I know he has a ton of value in terms of avg, steals and runs.  I don't know if I could pick 10 other 2Bs I'd rather have.  The Marlins are going to continue winning... and Pierre's improvement will directly lead to Castillo's.

I have a bevy of good relievers. In a H2H league, Urbina was most definitely expendable. 

Not to toot my own horn, but my team is ridiculously good and I am showing no signs of a decline.  :D

Note regarding Castillo:  he's owned in 97.2% of all ESPN leagues... not sure that says much, but honestly, a guy at that percentage should be grabbed and stashed on the bench.  So I did it.

805676[/snapback]

I'd just rather hang onto a guy with higher upside so I could use him as trade bait down the road. If Urbina gets traded, which is likely, you'll be able to pawn him off on a save-starved owner at a premium.

I see the reasoning behind grabbing higher value guys, but I guess I just don't think Castillo is as valuable as he used to be (especially with all the 2Bs playing so well this year).

Just for argument's sake, here are 10 dudes eligible at 2B that I'd start over Castillo - Soriano, Kent, Loretta, Boone, Roberts, Vidro, Reyes, Figgins, Giles and Barmes. Utley (now that he's getting pt) and Iguchi are also arguably better options.

I know the :D feeling - in my second league, I am absolutely crushing (up by 20+ points over 2nd place guy in roto) everyone else thanks to the play of Roberts, Floyd and Figgins. It's a 16 team league and my offense is so deep that I haven't even been able to find room for Overbay.

In my first league, my second and fourth round picks were Schilling and Nomar - take a wild guess how I'm faring there.

The man I hate most right now is Victor Martinez - he's my C in both leagues and is absolutely sucking. Not cool.