[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Horn to retire a Saints

rajncajn

I'll be interested to see the year by year breakdown of the deal.   Hopefully its back loaded so we can cut him if the age starts to catch up with him in a few years. 

All and all glad the Saints got him locked up for the time being.

805360[/snapback]

I don't know what the specifics of years 4-6 are, but he gets a $4 mil bonus now, a $3 mil bonus in 2006, with base salaries of $750k (2005), $1 mil (2006), and $4.2 mil in 2007. Plus, he has already received a $1 mil roster bonus on March 1 of this year.

I just don't understand this.  The Saints are not good enought to make a legitimate run.  Why are they going to tie up all of that money in a receiver that only has a couple of productive years left.  I mean the guy is 33.  Even if he only plays for half the contract, he will be 35.  This just doesn't make since to me.

805084[/snapback]

Joe Horn is a better guy than a WR.  Good for him but one thing we've leraned over here, the path to cap hell is paved by paying players for what they've already done for the team.  Sad but true.

805089[/snapback]

Apparently neither of you, along with alot of other people, really understand how the cap works and why player contracts are structured the way they are. This deal appears reasonable and fair for all involved.

I posted this on another board -- it assumes Horn plays three more years which he has stated he wants and plans to do -- the cap hit is relatively minor for a guy who has been a top 10 WR (arguably top 5) over the past 5 seasons and shown no signs of slowing down:

...assumes that 2007 is Horn's last season, and also assumes that the Sainsts would ask him to wait until 1 June 2008 to retire:

Salary cap numbers*

2005- $ 2,083,333

2006- $ 2,333,333

2007- $ 5,533,333

2008- $ 1,333,333 [dead money]

2009- $ 2,666,667 [dead money]

*these are my calcs, and while I'm confident they are correct, I've not put my hands on the official numbers. These values also do not take into account any performance bonuses.

Edited by Cordo

I don't know what the specifics of years 4-6 are, but he gets a $4 mil bonus now, a $3 mil bonus in 2006, with base salaries of $750k (2005), $1 mil (2006), and $4.2 mil in 2007.  Plus, he has already received a $1 mil roster bonus on March 1 of this year.

806462[/snapback]

I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure the $1 mil he already received was considered part of the $4 mil he gets this year. So essentially it's $3 mil on top of the $1 mil he already got.

I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure the $1 mil he already received was considered part of the $4 mil he gets this year. So essentially it's $3 mil on top of the $1 mil he already got.

806626[/snapback]

You are correct, sir ! So that would make the cap numbers are even smaller...

...The contract is really only a three-year contract, the amount of time Horn expects to play before retiring, but was signed as a six-year deal to help the Saints spread the cap hit out. Base salaries for the first three years are $750,000, $1 million, and finally $4.2 million in 2007.

$1 million of the signing bonus was paid in March, as part of the roster bonus due Horn in his previous contract.

Horn, 33, is expecting to play two or three more seasons. The value of the contract mostly lies in the last three years, which are backloaded. In the first three years, Horn's income will rank among the top receivers in the league, a figure that was key in negotiations.