[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Horn to retire a Saints

rajncajn

He said in a radio interview last night to Tom Benson & Governor Blanco "Get the deal done so I won't be playing in California or Texas!" He also said he was thrilled to retire as a New Orleans Saint and when he does, he wants to be in no other city but New Orleans. Good to see this finally get done & to see him get the contract that he's deserved all this time and good to see the FO hold to their word.

:D:D:D

Horn gets six-year extension

Horn gets six-year extension

Pro Bowl wide receiver to sign estimated $42 million deal today

Friday, May 06, 2005

By Mike Triplett

Staff writer

Receiver Joe Horn will sign a long-anticipated six-year contract extension with the Saints today -- an estimated six-year, $42 million deal that will make him one of the NFL's highest-paid receivers.

The Saints will formally announce the deal today and make Horn available to the media at the team's training facility.

Horn, 33, said Thursday night that he would reserve his comments until today.

The Saints also wanted to wait until the contract was signed to announce the details. Horn's agent, Ralph Vitolo, would not release specifics but said Thursday that the deal was similar to what has been reported this month: a six-year extension totaling around $42 million with a $7 million signing bonus.

In five years with the Saints, Horn has caught 437 passes for 6,289 yards and 45 touchdowns, and was selected for four Pro Bowls.

Horn, a nine-year veteran who began his career in Kansas City, had said it was important for him to remain in New Orleans, where he became a full-time starter for the first time after signing as a free agent in 2000.

Horn had one year remaining on his previous three-year, $13 million contract.

He said in a radio interview last night to Tom Benson & Governor Blanco "Get the deal done so I won't be playing in California or Texas!" He also said he was thrilled to retire as a New Orleans Saint and when he does, he wants to be in no other city but New Orleans.

But he'll be playing in LA soon so what's the point? :D

Hollywood gets his money.  Yipppeee for him.  He'll only play half the season from here on out.

805069[/snapback]

Horn has always given 100%, hurt or not. Very few players I've seen in the league play with the amount of heart & team spirit that he does.

I can't stand this guy. Has he ever played two seasons without demanding a redo of his contract?

805073[/snapback]

He hasn't demanded anything, the Saints promised him a new contract a few years ago. They renegotiated a couple of years ago to save cap space & told him at the time that they would renegotiate again the year after if he showed that he could continue to play at a pro-bowl level at his age. The Saints organization is the one who made all the promises, Horn has done NOTHING but produce. He did his part & now, finally, they are being true to their word.

I just don't understand this. The Saints are not good enought to make a legitimate run. Why are they going to tie up all of that money in a receiver that only has a couple of productive years left. I mean the guy is 33. Even if he only plays for half the contract, he will be 35. This just doesn't make since to me.

Joe Horn is a better guy than a WR.  Good for him but one thing we've leraned over here, the path to cap hell is paved by paying players for what they've already done for the team.  Sad but true.

805089[/snapback]

I certainly can agree there, but it is good to see them live up to their word. Now hopefully Horn can keep it together to live out that fat contract. Salary cap hell is about 2 years out, it'll be interesting to see how they handle it with looming contract negotiations for Deuce, McKenzie & Bentley.

On NO's local radio show yesterday he had this to say: Says he's happy that he'll be spending the rest of his career in New Orleans and that he and the other team leaders made it a point to keep the same attitude in the lockerroom this season as they had at the end of last season.

Talked about how Rison took him under his wing and taught him the ropes at WR and said to not worry about immediate money but to do the job and good things will happen down the road. That's one of the reasons that he decided to get into camp, because he wants to pass this along to the younger guys and make them stars as well. He said that Stallworth finally gets "it," i.e. understands the preparation and training that goes into being a top receiver, and should he go down, has absolute confidence that he'll step in and be the same player that Joe is. Says now they have to work on Devery to get him to that level as well.

What's the latest on the Saints stadium front? I've seen speculation that it will only take something like $70 million to break the lease. Also that once McCombs sells the Vikings he could approach Benson to buy the team and move them to LA or elsewhere.

Also that once McCombs sells the Vikings he could approach Benson to buy the team and move them to LA or elsewhere.

805150[/snapback]

Why would McCombs want to sell one crappy just to turn around and buy another?

Why would McCombs want to sell one crappy just to turn around and buy another?

805160[/snapback]

It's all about profits my man. McCombs has bought and sold 3 professional sports teams and walked away a short time later much richer.

What's the latest on the Saints stadium front? I've seen speculation that it will only take something like $70 million to break the lease. Also that once McCombs sells the Vikings he could approach Benson to buy the team and move them to LA or elsewhere.

805150[/snapback]

All talks are off for now. Benson rejected the last offer from the Governor & said that they would go into the season under the current deal. Whether that means they will leave or not is still up in the air. The only encouraging news lately is that the mayor of NO has finally gotten off his ass and is trying to assist in getting a deal worked out.

Personally, I think they'll stay because I don't think Benson wants to sell the team. It's just at this point he has the upper hand with the current contract & as a buisinessman he's going to keep it that way as long as he can & reap whatever rewards from it he's able to.

Joe Horn is a better guy than a WR.  Good for him but one thing we've leraned over here, the path to cap hell is paved by paying players for what they've already done for the team.  Sad but true.

805089[/snapback]

yeah. this contract, instead of being one that will keep him in nawlins for the rest of his career, actually looks like one that will probably get him cut as a cap casualty in a year or two.

He said in a radio interview last night to Tom Benson & Governor Blanco "Get the deal done so I won't be playing in California or Texas!"

804913[/snapback]

So, I take it that Horn isn't interested in winning? :D

Horn's an ass, but not to the extent that TO is... and he does produce on the field. Good signing by the Saints, although I'm sure that Horn will be cut in the second or third year of his deal.

I'll be interested to see the year by year breakdown of the deal. Hopefully its back loaded so we can cut him if the age starts to catch up with him in a few years.

All and all glad the Saints got him locked up for the time being.

Horn has always given 100%, hurt or not. Very few players I've seen in the league play with the amount of heart & team spirit that he does.

He hasn't demanded anything, the Saints promised him a new contract a few years ago. They renegotiated a couple of years ago to save cap space & told him at the time that they would renegotiate again the year after if he showed that he could continue to play at a pro-bowl level at his age. The Saints organization is the one who made all the promises, Horn has done NOTHING but produce. He did his part & now, finally, they are being true to their word.

805082[/snapback]

Oh yea, he's such a great guy, helping his teamates out whenever he can. Like when one of his linemen apparently had a hard time knocking up his wife, Hollywood filled in to help out.

I had him last year and he is a very solid fantasy WR. He got me nice points practically every week.

Oh yea, he's such a great guy, helping his teamates out whenever he can.  Like when one of his linemen apparently had a hard time knocking up his wife, Hollywood filled in to help out.

805520[/snapback]

Any other Saints fans want to take this one? :oldrolleyes:

NM, I'll answer anyway. For one thing that was a complete RUMOR. The truth of the matter is Roaf didn't want to play for Haslett anymore. The rumor came about when Roaf said that "either Joe goes or I go". It was never established as to whether he was talking about Joe Horn or Joe Johnson. Regardless of whether the rumor had any truth to it whatsoever Roaf had some serious mental issues at the time being diagnosed with a bi-polar disorder and his wife was a French Quarter stripping paid friend.

I can back all of my info up. If you can find me something that says Joe Horn "knocked up" Willie Roaf's wife, or even slept with her for that matter, that is not a bunch of internet gossip, please feel free to post it here & make me look the fool. Otherwise shut the hell up.

Its been fun for KC to have Mr. Roaf on our team.

806373[/snapback]

Funny how the Saints lost Roaf to KC & KC lost Horn to the Saints. I'd say it was a fairly even trade-off.