[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A thought on player holdouts from PFW

whole article

“I have heard the argument that teams don’t always honor contracts because they can terminate the deals if a player is injured or if a player’s salary-cap number gets too high or if a player just isn’t productive anymore.

The argument is correct in that NFL player contracts generally are not guaranteed. Then again, “guaranteeing” a contract can be part of contract negotiations before a player signs it. Plus, NFL players know full well how the business works. That’s why signing bonuses pay so much money up front. Players know they likely will not see the end of monster contracts, so they take a large bulk payment right away. And oftentimes for the top players — which Owens is — they land on their feet with another big deal with another big signing bonus.

I applaud Lurie for saying enough is enough. Athletes talk about job security, but I don’t know anyone with job security.”

In T.O.'s situation, Lurie is being smart. In fact, he was being smart last year, as well. He found himself at the negotiating table with a desperate, motivated player and a desperate, reeling agent, so he took advantage of the situation. Now, he realizes that T.O. has totally mismanaged his public image and pissed off Philly fans, so he took advantage of the situation again. T.O.'s leverage is virtually gone, so Lurie can expect T.O. to play for the Eagles again under his current deal.

As for the larger issue, it's not really debatable. The NFL is the most profitable sports league in the world, yet its stars average less money than those of the NBA and MLB. In the current landscape, every NFL superstar is not getting what he's worth.

Plus, it's ludicrous for someone from a respected outlet such as PFW to suggest players NEGOTIATE for a guaranteed contract. Yeah, I'm sure that would go over well. "So you want to be the only guy in the league with a guaranteed contract? Well, since you asked..."

The only fair and negotiable elements of NFL contracts are incentive clauses -- and those don't really apply to star players. You can give incentives to guys making the veteran minimum or to rookie contributors because they would only comprise a tiny fraction of the total cap. However, you couldn't realistically pay T.O. $500,000 per touchdown, because if he scored 20 times, it would be a unexpected, 10-million-dollar dent in the cap.

With the new TV contracts, you better believe the NFLPA will demand a MUCH larger salary cap. If both sides are smart, they'll also introduce much greater flexibility in each team's cap, so that incentives can become a big factor in EVERY player's salary. :D

Edited by Swiss Cheezhead

As for the larger issue, it's not really debatable. The NFL is the most profitable sports league in the world, yet its stars average less money than those of the NBA and MLB. In the current landscape, every NFL superstar is not getting what he's worth.

813472[/snapback]

I think that is the reason why the NFL is the best league out there. NBA & MLB players are overpaid. NFL owners are smart enough so far to not let players salaries get out of hand like other league.

I think that is the reason why the NFL is the best league out there.  NBA & MLB players are overpaid.  NFL owners are smart enough so far to not let players salaries get out of hand like other league.

813480[/snapback]

I agree -- and adding more incentives in contracts would only reinforce that.