[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fantasy Baseball ?

Men In Tights

I am looking for some advice/how you work this situation in your league if you have these requirements.

I am in 3-leagues and all 3 have a minimum innings pitched requirement. I always struggle with trying to decide to start certain pitchers in unfavorable matchups late in the week when I have met my requirement.

The basic league scores k's, w's, sv's, Era, Whip and if you are leading in the ERA/WHIP and with that 1-start may not take the lead in w's or k's. So is it worth it to start a pitcher if they may hurt your era and whip while not helping you take the lead in k's or wins in that given week?

I always start my good pitchers, but just wondering how others manager their starters.

I am looking for some advice/how you work this situation in your league if you have these requirements. 

I am in 3-leagues and all 3 have a minimum innings pitched requirement. I always struggle with trying to decide to start certain pitchers in unfavorable matchups late in the week when I have met my requirement. 

The basic league scores k's, w's, sv's, Era, Whip and if you are leading in the ERA/WHIP and with that 1-start may not take the lead in w's or k's. So is it worth it to start a pitcher if they may hurt your era and whip while not helping you take the lead in k's or wins in that given week?

I always start my good pitchers, but just wondering how others manager their starters.

814873[/snapback]

I think your approach is correct. If they can't help your score and only hurt it, set their butts on the pine! The great thing about daily transaction leagues is that you can use strategies like this. Most people don't even follow it enough to know their scores in each cat.

Thanks for the suggestions and I see both sides of the argument. Posty I am in a 12-team league and a 16-team league and we are talking about pitchers like jake westbrook (who hasn't done anything good lately) and I just picked up Brad Halsey. To add an extreme example I benched Halsey when he pitched at Coors.

Unless you're only going with 3 of 4 SPs on your roster, you have to play your matchups to an extent. That is, if you have 5 or 6 SPs on your roster and start each of them every time, you'll hit your IP ceiling way too early, thereby wasting the final games of your better SPs. I like to go with a solid rotation of 4 SPs and just stick with them (unless they play Coors or have an otherwise poor track record against certain teams). I'll have a 5th or 6th SP on my roster to fill in when one of my other guys are hurt or for when they play the really anemic offenses (e.g. Pittsburgh, Oakland, etc.). What you want to avoid is playing the matchups too frequently - you can get burned pretty easily there.

Unless you're only going with 3 of 4 SPs on your roster, you have to play your matchups to an extent.  That is, if you have 5 or 6 SPs on your roster and start each of them every time, you'll hit your IP ceiling way too early, thereby wasting the final games of your better SPs.  I like to go with a solid rotation of  4 SPs and just stick with them (unless they play Coors or have an otherwise poor track record against certain teams).  I'll have a 5th or 6th SP on my roster to fill in when one of my other guys are hurt or for when they play the really anemic offenses (e.g. Pittsburgh, Oakland, etc.).  What you want to avoid is playing the matchups too frequently - you can get burned pretty easily there.

815124[/snapback]

Thanks, good advice.

Thanks, good advice.

815800[/snapback]

Of course, this advice is coming from a guy whose SP rotation currently consists of Smoltz and Colon. Schilling, Escobar and Thomson all being on the shelf isn't exactly helping me right now.

Of course, this advice is coming from a guy whose SP rotation currently consists of Smoltz and Colon.  Schilling, Escobar and Thomson all being on the shelf isn't exactly helping me right now.

815879[/snapback]

Ouch. :bigshock:

Unless you're only going with 3 of 4 SPs on your roster, you have to play your matchups to an extent.  That is, if you have 5 or 6 SPs on your roster and start each of them every time, you'll hit your IP ceiling way too early, thereby wasting the final games of your better SPs.  I like to go with a solid rotation of  4 SPs and just stick with them (unless they play Coors or have an otherwise poor track record against certain teams).  I'll have a 5th or 6th SP on my roster to fill in when one of my other guys are hurt or for when they play the really anemic offenses (e.g. Pittsburgh, Oakland, etc.).  What you want to avoid is playing the matchups too frequently - you can get burned pretty easily there.

815124[/snapback]

I know I'm a week late, but wanted my buddy M.I.T. to realize this was wrong advice: the league has a minimum innings pitched, not a maximum. So you still get all the stats of all your starters.

I agree with posty (!) if they aren't good enough to start they shouldn't be on your roster - OK maybe I'd sit somebody at Coors if I didn't need a W or a few K's.

I know I'm a week late, but wanted my buddy M.I.T. to realize this was wrong advice: the league has a minimum innings pitched, not a maximum. So you still get all the stats of all your starters.

I agree with posty (!) if they aren't good enough to start they shouldn't be on your roster - OK maybe I'd sit somebody at Coors if I didn't need a W or a few K's.

820523[/snapback]

Thanks, I understood what he was saying even though he inferred maximum IP's. I was really looking for someone to say you are over managing and just look at match-ups but don't manage yourself to a loss.

Thanks, I understood what he was saying even though he inferred maximum IP's.  I was really looking for someone to say you are over managing and just look at match-ups but don't manage yourself to a loss.

820623[/snapback]

Each week is going to be different. This week, I've already gotten to my minimum innings by having two starters go yesterday. A bonus that they both picked up the win, but when you have the horses, I will start them every time they come up. The only time I wouldn't is if I have a strong lead in ERA/WHIP/W's and a starter can only hurt me in those categories. If I can lock up 4/6 Pitching categories, I will set up conservatively.

820523[/snapback]

Shows how carefully I read posts before replying - what a maroon. Sorry.