[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Portis: With what you know now....

TDFFFreak

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good description of portis' injury from the washington post ...

The technical term for his injury is a subluxation and, according to medical experts, it is considered a less severe injury than a dislocation. With a subluxation, the humerus bone slides back into the joint on its own and with rest and a reduction of swelling, the shoulder can remain intact. However, with a dislocation, the shoulder is out of its socket, and must be physically reset.

A key, experts said, is the health of the rotator cuff and the labrum, two key parts of the shoulder. If there is damage to the rotator cuff, the shoulder is more likely to slide easily out of the joint. A healthy rotator cuff will provide enough support to keep the shoulder from popping out.

"The shoulder is a funny thing," said Jose Yasul, sports medicine supervisor at the Contra Costa Regional Medical Center in Martinez, Calif. "You have to look at it like placing a softball on a plate. The ball represents the top of the humerus. The plate is the shoulder socket. When the ball stays in or around the center of the plate, you have normal motion. When it rolls to the edge of the plate, that's a subluxation. When it rolls completely off the plate, that's a dislocation."

In either case, Portis's shoulder is loose, and susceptible. Gibbs said the Redskins have not opted for surgery because they believe rest can reduce the inflammation and allow a faster return.

"We have a great medical staff with a lot of resources," Gibbs said. "We sent guys wherever they need to go, and the first thing I tell people, and I told Clinton, 'the most important thing for you is what's best for you.' "

Clinton Portis-RB- Redskins Aug. 15 - 9:11 am et

Clinton Portis visited surgeon Dr. James Andrews in Alabama Monday.

It appears Portis' shoulder won't require surgery, which is good news. The Redskins confirmed Portis will miss the rest of the preseason and his status for Week 1 is in doubt. LaDell Betts will take over in the meantime.

Source: Washington Post

I'm picking #5 of a 12 team, 3 year keeper league. Ronnie is looking better right now...

I'm in the same situation. And it's going to be a tough decision for me on who to take between R. Brown, Caddy or SJax.

Edited by Sam

You assume that Edge goes at #5? I grabbed him at the #7 spot.

For some reason I haven't even considered James. I suppose I should but the situation in Arizona scares me. I know they've never had a runner as good as James but with that O-line and that Def. I just can't get too excited about his potential this year. You have him ranked ahead of R. Brown, Caddy and S. Jackson (this is for a 3 yr keeper league)?

Edited by Sam

For some reason I haven't even considered James. I suppose I should be but the situation in Arizona scares me. I know they've never had a runner as good as James but with that O-line and that Def. I just can't get too excited about his potential this year. You have him ranked ahead of R. Brown, Caddy and S. Jackson (this is for a 3 yr keeper league)?

Not a keeper league. Re-draft. Keeper league, the other three are ahead of him. For a redraft, PPR league he is ahead of Williams and on par with Brown and Jackson.

Clinton Portis-RB- Redskins Aug. 15 - 9:11 am et

Clinton Portis visited surgeon Dr. James Andrews in Alabama Monday.

It appears Portis' shoulder won't require surgery, which is good news. The Redskins confirmed Portis will miss the rest of the preseason and his status for Week 1 is in doubt. LaDell Betts will take over in the meantime.

Source: Washington Post

Isn't Betts nursing a sore hammy? I thought I read that somewhere.

The wait is over. Portis went at # 8. I was ready to gamble at 10, damm

First 8 Picks in the Draft:

1. L. Johnson

2. S. Alexander

3. LT

4. R. Brown

5. T. Barber

6. S. Jackson

7. E. James

8. C. Portis

Edited by JoJoTheWebToedBoy

I had posted this in a different forum in response to a huddler who had said it was a "separated" shoulder.

Bear with me as I try to reproduce it by copy and paste.

All the reports I'm reading are saying partially "dislocated" shoulder not separated. I would be less optimistic

if it were actually a separation. A separation represents a disassociation of the acromioclavicular joint and can vary in degree. It usually occurs from a fall on the lateral aspect of the shoulder and can take months to heal (again, depending on severity). Continuing strikes on the shoulder pads would represent direct trauma to the area, even though it is customary to rig a 'doughnut" under the pads over the AC for a little added protection. This, however, does not help a repeat of the injury when the ball carrier is tackled and falls on that shoulder, again.

A dislocation...and a "partial" one at that, means the humeral head slid out from the glenoid fossa and, in all likelihood, relocated it self spontaneously. (By the way, not only have I treated both, but suffered both) The dislocation occurs anteriorly about 95% of the time and occurs when the arm is in a rotated position up and out and drivien backward. It is difficult to tell from the replays whether this was an anterior dislocation caused by the defender driving his (Portis) arm backward as it was extended for the tackle, or whether the head of the humerus was driven backward into the scapula from the force of the ball carrier's impact (not likely, but , I guess, possible)

Going on the assumption that it was, indeed, a partial anterior dislocation, it would be of paramount importance for him to keep the arm tucked against the body in order to avoid a repeat of the same incident.

Usually, if it happens multiple times in a short period, the ligaments become over stretched and can pop out with less and less force each time (i.e, Mel Gibson in Lethal Weapon, but not as easily remedied.)

Without knowing Portis full medical history, it is likely that he can rest it for 3-4 weeks and keep it tucked for another 4-6 weeks and be no worse for the wear. However, all he needs is to be carrying the ball in that arm and have a defender try to strip the ball and it would put the joint at a point of risk.

Sorry, got a little verbose, but consider that a contribution this new huddler can make for the cause.

I hope it helps come draft time for someone. I'm wrestling with it myself.

I've historically been a Stud RB guy, but the pool of featured backs this season is the worst I've ever seen. Take a look at some of the former "safe" picks over the past few years...

SA - Still in very good shape, but has already peaked and will decline slowly. He's also overdue for an injury.

LT - Also still in very good shape, but might be downgraded somewhat because of Rivers.

Priest - Done

LJ - Priest II was a monster last season, but KC's offense is clearly on the decline

Portis - Still in his prime and featured, but already has a partially-separated (or dislocated) shoulder.

Edge - Moving towards the down-slope of his career and his numbers will take a huge hit in ARI.

Rudi - Still featured and consistent, but 1,500 yds and 10-12 scores is the limit.

C-Mart - Done

Dillon - Almost done

Faulk - Done

Steven Jackson - The heir to Faulk's job is one of the better fantasy backs out there, but he doesn't have Faulk's skills or a stud Rams offense to repliate Marshall's glory years.

Duece - Coming off of major knee sugery and will be in a RBBC situation with Bush.

Duce - Done

Taylor - Almost done

Stephen Davis - Done

Ricky - Up in smoke

Westbrook - Injury city

Jordan - Raiders offense sucks

The Jonses (Julius, Kevin, Thomas) - Have had substantial injury problems recently and/or aren't featured.

Unless you have one of the Top 3, you're not guaranteed first-round production. If I had the #4 pick, I'd trade down instead of rolling the dice.

Edited by Bill Swerski

I had posted this in a different forum in response to a huddler who had said it was a "separated" shoulder.

Bear with me as I try to reproduce it by copy and paste.

All the reports I'm reading are saying partially "dislocated" shoulder not separated. I would be less optimistic

if it were actually a separation. A separation represents a disassociation of the acromioclavicular joint and can vary in degree. It usually occurs from a fall on the lateral aspect of the shoulder and can take months to heal (again, depending on severity). Continuing strikes on the shoulder pads would represent direct trauma to the area, even though it is customary to rig a 'doughnut" under the pads over the AC for a little added protection. This, however, does not help a repeat of the injury when the ball carrier is tackled and falls on that shoulder, again.

A dislocation...and a "partial" one at that, means the humeral head slid out from the glenoid fossa and, in all likelihood, relocated it self spontaneously. (By the way, not only have I treated both, but suffered both) The dislocation occurs anteriorly about 95% of the time and occurs when the arm is in a rotated position up and out and drivien backward. It is difficult to tell from the replays whether this was an anterior dislocation caused by the defender driving his (Portis) arm backward as it was extended for the tackle, or whether the head of the humerus was driven backward into the scapula from the force of the ball carrier's impact (not likely, but , I guess, possible)

Going on the assumption that it was, indeed, a partial anterior dislocation, it would be of paramount importance for him to keep the arm tucked against the body in order to avoid a repeat of the same incident.

Usually, if it happens multiple times in a short period, the ligaments become over stretched and can pop out with less and less force each time (i.e, Mel Gibson in Lethal Weapon, but not as easily remedied.)

Without knowing Portis full medical history, it is likely that he can rest it for 3-4 weeks and keep it tucked for another 4-6 weeks and be no worse for the wear. However, all he needs is to be carrying the ball in that arm and have a defender try to strip the ball and it would put the joint at a point of risk.

Sorry, got a little verbose, but consider that a contribution this new huddler can make for the cause.

I hope it helps come draft time for someone. I'm wrestling with it myself.

Very simply put.... :D:D