[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fantasy football before the internet

alwaysrocking

You had newspapers and radio? Must be nice. You kids have no idea what it was REALLY like in the early days of FF. Try carrying a 15lb slate with etched in scores around for awhile.... then you can come in here and talk about the OLD days. (And the snow was 15' deep, not your 6' light dusting.)

Kids... whatcha gonna do? *sigh*

:D

Kids? You had kids back then??? Why when I was young, we used to just grab a monkey, call him Roy, and make him walk upright. Yer spoiled, sky. :D

Ya, by cracky, ya pups don't know what is was like, havin' to walk thru 6' of snow uphill both ways to the newspaper stand, then figurin' BY HAND all them there scores. And sometimes the radio went out on Sundays and we'd have to wait for a telegram to update us.

Luxury!

Kids? You had kids back then??? Why when I was young, we used to just grab a monkey, call him Roy, and make him walk upright. Yer spoiled, sky. :D

Monkeys? Jeeze... you guys had everything! We didn't have no monkeys. We were lucky to have insects. Try getting a dragon fly to walk upright my friend.... :D not as easy as it sounds let me tell you. Though I find it interesting that we called him Roy too. :lol:

Started in '93. I would buy the Ciff Carpentier (sp) book and photo copy the pages of players so the owners would have some info....this was in the day when there were a couple of FF magazines.....

As commish, would break down the numbers with USA today...and Wednesday (NFC) and Thursday (AFC)were big days because the paper would give player stats by division....

Huge advantage being commish...but I would call folks and /or email and let them know that players were out there or that they should make a change...I did my best to keep the league informed...

I believe the highlight was getting together, since we were all undergrads...so we would watch MNF....and we never missed a Packer game.....

Used excel spread sheets to track EVERYTHING....

To be in a league back then took more work than it does today....web sites make it all too easy to pick-up, drop, trade, check stats....

Yup, back in the day....up-hill, both ways....in the snow, no-less....had to share cleats.....

Just wanted to know who played fantasy football before the internet. Anyone play with out it online now. It sounds to me like it was a royal pain in the ass if you were the comishoner.

Been playing since 1990. Back then before the internet each owner was responsible for turning in their own score by looking at the boxscores in the Monday morning sports page. Then a few yrs after we got weekly stats downloaded via STAT.INC and printed out on plain white paper that helped alot and we conitnued doing that until the internet came. Now we use Sportsline to run our league.