[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Colts trade a second round pick for a booger

CaptainHook

He was pretty highly regarded at one time. Has he been doing worse this year? Or has he been consistently underachieving. More importantly, how is he against the RUN. Good god, we're bad.

He has always been underachieving and never has filled the big footsteps of Warren Sapp. He also likes to get injured and not show up in big games. However, he should fit in nicely on your Colts line. Cant get any worse.

2nd round pick? :D

Yeah really. :D McFarland has been a disappointment in TB I'd say. He was supposed to be Sapp's replacement. Never came close to living up to that billing. He should help the Colts D-line I guess...but probably just because he's a big body. Sorta like Corey Simon did last year. Polian is usually a smart guy with personnel and draft picks....but I'm losing a bit of confidence in him. Didn't like this year's draft (dropped the ball missing Maroney IMO) and don't really like the players they got after that. Seems a bit desperate....but where was that desperation in replacing Edge? :bash: They aren't going anywhere in the playoffs this year because:

1.) They can't consistently run the ball = passing game not as effective/dominant

2.) The run defense sucks (Booger ain't fixing it, but Sanders will make the biggest difference when he returns...but see below)

3.) The DBs and Safetys give up too many big plays in coverage (especially Sanders)

Edited by Hitman

(dropped the ball missing Maroney IMO) and don't really like the players they got after that.

So, you're saying that he should've traded up to get Maroney? Not sure I agree with that. Maroney had all sorts of nagging injury issues at Minnesota... I wouldn't trade a draft pick just for a guy like that.

So, you're saying that he should've traded up to get Maroney? Not sure I agree with that. Maroney had all sorts of nagging injury issues at Minnesota... I wouldn't trade a draft pick just for a guy like that.

Actually yeah, I do. Depending on the price. He was rated well above Addai by many "experts" and also more closely resembled Edge in his size and physical talents. He wasn't as well schooled as Addai (pass blocking, etc) and I think a bit of it was arrogance on Polian's part as well. Of course it's easy to say now, but it's not just hindsight here IMO. Maroney was expected to be a good back....and he has been. We'll see, but I just really wished Bill would have went up and grabbed him. Stupid Patriots. :D

Just sort of baffles me that he's throwing away a 2nd rounder now on Booger...when they were so content to sit pat and let the RB situation play it self out as it may.

I dunno, there were/are a lot of questions about Maroney, and Addai has performed nicely. Can hardly declare a winner at this point. Plus, we have no idea how expensive it was to trade up nine spots

I HATED last year's draft (2005). Kelvin Hayden in the second was a hugh reach, as was Vincent Burns in the third. Burns is on the friggin' practice squad after not making the final 53 man roster. Then they traded up to get Jonathan Welsh in the fifth, who also did not make the team this year. And Giordano in the fourth is strictly a special teams player. Jury is still out on Marlin Jackson in the first round. At least Dylan Gandy is a starting guard.

This years draft, I've been impressed with Addai. I think he's going to be pretty good. And they drafted a guy in the sixth who has been starting at FS (Bethea) that looks like a player. Haven't seen enough of the other guys yet.

I don't mind losing the second round pick for a guy that could help this year.

And Hitman, Sanders is playing out of position. The guy is a natural strong safety, but the Colts have to play him at free safety since Doss is even worse in coverage.

Polian is usually a smart guy with personnel and draft picks....
Oh please. He has done good overall, but is overrated. And he blows at FA moves/contract moves. Witness all the overspending he's done on our D....which STILL sucks.

And speaking of overrated hello mr McFarland. Still, he is better than what we have at DT. Then again, mini-me would be better than what we have a DT...

Edited by BeeR

Actually yeah, I do. Depending on the price. He was rated well above Addai by many "experts" and also more closely resembled Edge in his size and physical talents. He wasn't as well schooled as Addai (pass blocking, etc) and I think a bit of it was arrogance on Polian's part as well. Of course it's easy to say now, but it's not just hindsight here IMO. Maroney was expected to be a good back....and he has been. We'll see, but I just really wished Bill would have went up and grabbed him. Stupid Patriots. :D

Maroney certainly resembles Edge in haircut. :D

I see your point. But I think that I would've done what Polian did. Addai had some question marks because he didn't carry a full load at LSU. I might rather go with that guy than the more-talented rusher who was injury-prone in college. The fact that Maroney fell as far as he did (and he was a freaking monster in a very average Minnesota offense) says a lot about the health concerns. I don't trade up for a halfback unless he's a Top 10 guy with no red flags. JMO.

And I'm not sure how good Maroney is at pass-blocking, but Addai has more than exceeded expectations so far in that regard. Being able to protect Manning is a very important part of the halfback job in Indy.

Just sort of baffles me that he's throwing away a 2nd rounder now on Booger...when they were so content to sit pat and let the RB situation play it self out as it may.

Oh, I completely agree with that move. The Colts need to win NOW. They can't wait until next season to be able to stop the run. McFarland may not have lived up to being Sapp Jr., but he's a lot better than any of their current DTs.

Back this up please. He has done an INCREDIBLE job drafting. You will lose this debate.

Pass on the "debate" since your pro-Polian blinders are obvious and you'll likely just try to rationalize anything I say to some pro-Polian routine.

But for anyone with an even semi-objective viewpoint, I refer you to Exhibit A as my backing:

http://drafthistory.com/teams/colts.html

Sure he's had his moments, not saying he's horrible.....but there were more than a few players he clearly reached on too soon, were a bad matchup to team needs, were busts, or just otherwise plain bad picks. It also doesn't show the various stud players they COULD have and should have had that they passed on, and I don't just mean in hindsight, but that were logical picks at the time (mostly on defense - surprise). Manning has been covering his butt for years.

:D

I'll put the Colts drafts up against anyone in the league. Anyone. First rounders alone are unbelievable. Has he reached? Sometimes. Find me a team that hasn't. You're flat wrong.

I had forgotten that they drafted Bert Berry and Mike Peterson. :bash:

I can't believe somebody actually presented the Colts draft history as evidence that Polian HASN'T drafted well. That's like using Bin Laden as an example of Islam being a "non-violent" religion. :D

and Marcus Washington, David Thornton, Dave Rayner, Steve Sciullo, Larry Tripplett, Rick DeMulling, David Macklin, and Steve McKinney. All who have continued to be starters after leaving the Colts.

The 2004 draft has four starters in it. So does the 2003 draft. They haven't been able to keep everyone, but they've done an incredible job drafting. Especially since this team RARELY signs free agents. Where do you think these players are coming from BeeR?

Plus, he's done a great job with undrafted free agents. Dom Rhodes and Gary Brackett are starters signed by Polian.

Polian is a hot-head. And he makes an ass of himself a lot. Personally, I don't care for how he treats the media or the fans. But the one thing the dude can do is draft.

Edited by CaptainHook

First picks alone

1998: 1.1 Peyton Manning (two time league MVP/6 Pro Bowls)

1999: 1.4 Edgerrin James (Colts all-time leading rusher/ 4 Pro Bowls)

2000: 1.28 Rob Morris (only "bad" pick. Started at MLB for 4 years, plays special teams now.)

2001: 1.30 Reggie Wayne (solidified #2 starting WR postion, deserved Pro Bowl in 2004)

2002: 1.11 Dwight Freeney (lead NFL in sacks in 2004/ 2 Pro Bowls)

2003: 1.24 Dallas Clark (starting TE)

2004: 2.12 Bob Sanders (All Pro in second season/ 1 Pro Bowl)

2005: 1.29 Marlin Jackson (starting nickelback)

2006: 1.30 Joseph Addai (back-up RB)

All except Edgerrin James are still on the team. He's picked early in the round, picked late, and even traded out of the first round entirely. Yet they still find, not only starters, but stars.

Edited by CaptainHook