[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pats - Giants to be simulcast on NFL Network, CBS and NBC

MTSuper7

The casual fan in the broadcast area of his local team will get the game broadcast on a local station.

Yeah, they will IN THIS PARTICULAR CASE. But the NFL won't do this regularly.

If someone needs to worry about an extra $6 a month, they shouldn't be following football.

Again, who the hell are you to tell people how they should spend their disposable income? Are we supposed to get DirecTV and fork down an additional $270 to watch our out-of-area team as well? :D

Edited by Bill Swerski

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reminds me of Rubbermaid raising prices on Wal-mart and then gettin bent over the sink.

the monopoly DTV has on Sunday Ticket

You gotta figure missing out on that action bothers the cable companies too. They'd be more likely to take NFLN if they got Sunday Ticket rights as well. Or even give them some equity in the network like MLB.

Not true I had heard probably 2 months ago that the last Pats game will be shown on channel 5 in the New England area

Is that one of the MyNetwork affiliates? If so, that doesn't surprise me, as they're affiliated with the NFL Network. However, the MyNetwork channels aren't available nation-wide. And I haven't heard anything about the other NFL Network games being given away for free over the networks.

And this goes way beyond this particular game. Not all cable comapnies carry NFL Network. And there are still A LOT of people (mostly 60 and over) who don't even have digital cable. While the NFL has the right to do what they want with their broadcasting rights, the public also has the right to complain about 30+ years of network broadcasts suddenly switching over to a quasi-pay-per-view.

There is no point having a conversation with you about this if you don't have the most basic of facts straight.

There is no point in having a conversation with you about this if you can't make a comment without insulting the financial priorities of others.

Reminds me of Rubbermaid raising prices on Wal-mart and then gettin bent over the sink.

You gotta figure missing out on that action bothers the cable companies too. They'd be more likely to take NFLN if they got Sunday Ticket rights as well. Or even give them some equity in the network like MLB.

I heard 10 years ago when the original contract was up they would open it to more parties. I don't know the deal they struck, but was surprised it was an exclusive with DTV. I'd rather see them negotiate it yearly than lock it up like they did.

Is that one of the MyNetwork affiliates? If so, that doesn't surprise me, as they're affiliated with the NFL Network. However, the MyNetwork channels aren't available nation-wide. And I haven't heard anything about the other NFL Network games being given away for free over the networks.

Channel 5 is CBS I beleive but I am not in front of my TV right now so I can not double check but it is one of the major networks. This was not something available nationwide at first just something you could get in the NE area.

During the GB/Dallas game was the game available on any other network other than NFLN in those areas? (for the GB/Dallas Homers)

During the GB/Dallas game was the game available on any other network other than NFLN in those areas? (for the GB/Dallas Homers)

Yes, but only in the immediate metro areas. They did not even offer it to outstate home markets that carry those game as the home team and that ESPN has to offer their broadcasts to for the home team.

Yes, but only in the immediate metro areas. They did not even offer it to outstate home markets that carry those game as the home team and that ESPN has to offer their broadcasts to for the home team.

That blows. Sounds like even if you're IN-state, there's a good chance that you won't be able to see your team.

Why do people think that they should have evrything handed to them???

If you want to watch certain games you have that choice. If you want every game then sign up Directv and you can have them.

Everyone makes a big stink about the NFL network coming in and having Thursday games but nobody can watch them. If there was no NFL network then that particular game would have been on a Sunday and if you were not in that local market then you would not have it anyway. If it is your team and you are in a local market you would also get it without having the NFL network. It sure seems that this is an OPTION that if taken you will now be able to see more games. How does this not give YOU an OPTION to see these games.

Pony up the cash or sit down and shut your pieholes.

The NFLN really just isn't as good as the league is trying to make it out to be and the cable companies know it. It's eight games a year and the only one they've had a demand for out of the past 2 seasons was Dallas-GB. The rest of the programming is a bunch of recycled commentary.

The league thought they had leverage, but then the fans blamed them instead of the cable companies and the government wouldn't back them either. Now they offer the game to everyone trying to look like the good guys.

Edited by budlitebrad

If you want to watch certain games you have that choice. If you want every game then sign up Directv and you can have them.

Everyone makes a big stink about the NFL network coming in and having Thursday games but nobody can watch them. If there was no NFL network then that particular game would have been on a Sunday and if you were not in that local market then you would not have it anyway. If it is your team and you are in a local market you would also get it without having the NFL network. It sure seems that this is an OPTION that if taken you will now be able to see more games. How does this not give YOU an OPTION to see these games.

The NFL network isnt carried by all companies,so not eveyone has access to it.Even if they pony up the money.

People expect games in their home team's media market to be broadcast over network TV because it's been that way since the '70s. Given that long precedent, I don't find that unreasonable.

If you want to watch certain games you have that choice.

Not anymore.

If you want every game then sign up Directv and you can have them.

Everyone makes a big stink about the NFL network coming in and having Thursday games but nobody can watch them. If there was no NFL network then that particular game would have been on a Sunday and if you were not in that local market then you would not have it anyway. If it is your team and you are in a local market you would also get it without having the NFL network.

That's not true. See Big John's post.

I'm a free market guy and fully support the NFL's right to broadcast in whichever way they see fit. However, I'm also a consumer in a free country, and I'm not going to "shut my piehole" when the NFL tries to fu@k their customers. More importantly, I've also spoken with my wallet and canceled the over-priced Sunday Ticket (and DirecTV as well) because it's cheaper for me to go watch the 8-10 Colts games that I can't get over cable on a better TV at the local bar with a burger and a couple of microbrews. I'll also probably cancel my sports tier package that includes NFL Network after this season out of spite. I'll gladly spend the saved cash on MLB Extra Innings, which is a bargain at $160.

Edited by Bill Swerski

People expect games in their home team's media market to be broadcast over network TV because it's been that way since the '70s. Given that long precedent, I don't find that unreasonable.

Not anymore.

That's not true. See Big John's post.

I'm a free market guy and fully support the NFL's right to broadcast in whichever way they see fit. However, I'm also a consumer in a free country, and I'm not going to "shut my piehole" when the NFL tries to fu@k their customers. More importantly, I've also spoken with my wallet and canceled the over-priced Sunday Ticket (and DirecTV as well) because it's cheaper for me to go watch the 8-10 Colts games that I can't get over cable on a better TV at the local bar with a burger and a couple of microbrews. I'll also probably cancel my sports tier package that includes NFL Network after this season out of spite. I'll gladly spend the saved cash on MLB Extra Innings, which is a bargain at $160.

Then it sounds like you have figured out a way to watch the games you want to watch. You did very well for yourself and there is no need then for the govt to step in or for the NFL network to change.

No. The NFL offers broadcast rights to local television (provided the blackout isn't an issue). If you live in the local area (which is the only place a "casual" fan is going to give a peaches by the bucket whether or not a game is being broadcast), you will see your football game regardless of the network it is carried on.

And this goes way beyond this particular game. Not all cable comapnies carry NFL Network. And there are still A LOT of people (mostly 60 and over) who don't even have digital cable. While the NFL has the right to do what they want with their broadcasting rights, the public also has the right to complain about 30+ years of network broadcasts suddenly switching over to a quasi-pay-per-view.

So now the NFL is stealing their football from the poor and the elderly? This is getting completely ridiculous Sweski.

There is no point in having a conversation with you about this if you can't make a comment without insulting the financial priorities of others.

We're talking about football, not financial priorities.

No. The NFL offers broadcast rights to local television (provided the blackout isn't an issue). If you live in the local area (which is the only place a "casual" fan is going to give a peaches by the bucket whether or not a game is being broadcast), you will see your football game regardless of the network it is carried on.

Not the entire media market gets NFL Network games. See Big John's post. And I completely disagree that there aren't "casual" Patriots fans in further-away places like Maine and Vermont who want to see those games.

We're talking about football, not financial priorities.

YOU were talking about financial priorities.

Edited by Bill Swerski

When did I ever say that they should?

Never said you did. It was a general comment to the masses.

Same with the post before yours. I did not say that you said you don't have the NFL network. I was making a comment to your comment that not everyone can get the games.

Sheesh - people on this site take every word literally and then make snap jusdgements. Chill out people.

Never said you did. It was a general comment to the masses.

Same with the post before yours. I did not say that you said you don't have the NFL network. I was making a comment to your comment that not everyone can get the games.

Sheesh - people on this site take every word literally and then make snap jusdgements. Chill out people.

How about this then, some people cant get the NFL network wothout switching providers.8 games a years probably isnt worth changing providers for.So it isnt just the money,its the lack of access to it by your provider.

The NFL Network still doesn't air widely (or at all) on most cable networks, like Comcast (CMCSA), Time Warner Cable (TWC), or Cablevision (CVC), because the network and the cable companies still can't agree on carriage.

How about this then, some people cant get the NFL network wothout switching providers.8 games a years probably isnt worth changing providers for.So it isnt just the money,its the lack of access to it by your provider.

The NFL Network still doesn't air widely (or at all) on most cable networks, like Comcast (CMCSA), Time Warner Cable (TWC), or Cablevision (CVC), because the network and the cable companies still can't agree on carriage.

You basically said it. If people want it then they just need to make a phone call and switch providers. It is not hard to do. It is just easier to complain about it.

I had cable but I like to see other games so I decided to switch and when I cancelled cable and they asked why I explained to them that it was easy to switch and I got to watch what I wanted to watch.