[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Owner Bailed 2 Days Before Auction

The Wolf

My local is a 12-team auction league. Cap is $300, roster size is 14. Setting up the auction (it is live) is the most difficult job I have as Commish, as 5 of the 12 owners come from out of state.

After a lot of difficulty in getting us together last season, I informed all owners...and sent numerous reminders...that the auction will always be held on the third Saturday of August. Make NO PLANS!

You all know what is coming...one doofus booked a family vacation. He did get an alternate to come and auction for him...but the alternate bailed this morning.

My question...have any of you had this happen and how did you resolve? We are working to have someone come to auction for him or even keep the team for the season. Your suggestions are for how to handle in case we are not successful. Please know the following before answering:

1) He cannot call in (will be on an airplane)

2) Conducting the Auction with only 11 teams is something I will not do...it means that there is one less bidder and 11 teams will have at least one better player on the roster than they normally would have. The owner in question suggested this and said he would take his team from what is left over. NOT an option in my book

3) One of the other 11 owners cannot auction simultaneously for this owner and for their own team.

4) Switching to a snake draft is out...owners have already rejected it.

Have at it...ALL suggestions are welcome. Thanks!!

Would the league be opposed to an "outsider" filling the team? I am sure you could find a huddler to step in and auction by phone if needed. Club auctioned by phone in our TAR league and he did a wonderful job keeping up. Darin would say the player being auctioned to Club and then he would do all his bidding via speaker phone. Worked out great for everyone.

Looks like you have no other choice other than to either have someone take over his team for the year, or have someone just join the auction in his place. If he's willing to just take what's left, then he can't complain about a 'competitive' team, drafted for him by someone else.

Can you put the team on autopick?

Um...

My local is a 12-team auction league. Cap is $300, roster size is 14. Setting up the auction (it is live) is the most difficult job I have as Commish, as 5 of the 12 owners come from out of state.

:wacko:

This is what Fantasy Auctioner says about computer picking.

A computer player will take over any team that is not there or not registered. If a team is registered but not there, the computer will take over, but relinquish control when the user enters the auction room.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks and good luck this year.

Sincerely,

George del Prado

The FantasyAuctioneer Team

www.FantasyAuctioneer.com

A computer player will take over any team that is not there or not registered. If a team is registered but not there, the computer will take over, but relinquish control when the user enters the auction room.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks and good luck this year.

Sincerely,

George del Prado

Dude. Seriously? :wacko:

Sincerely,

George del Prado

As always, I appreciate the input and suggestion Randall. However, this is a live draft...no one is in an "auction room" on a computer. We are all sitting around, eating, drinking, talking trash, etc.

It's all good though. We resolved the issue.

Glad you got it worked out.

One thing I was going to suggest was possibly having him create a value spreadsheet for every player. Proceed with the auction as normal and when the final bid is called on a player look at his sheet to see if he's higher. If so (and he has cap room) he's then the highest bid. Other person then has a chance to outbid him. Something along those lines could work if necessary.

That's kinda like beating the dummy hand in guts... Would actually make things interesting.

Glad you got it worked out.

One thing I was going to suggest was possibly having him create a value spreadsheet for every player. Proceed with the auction as normal and when the final bid is called on a player look at his sheet to see if he's higher. If so (and he has cap room) he's then the highest bid. Other person then has a chance to outbid him. Something along those lines could work if necessary.

That's kinda like beating the dummy hand in guts... Would actually make things interesting.

An interesting option. Thanks for the feedback bro! :wacko: