[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Turkey Day!

SheikYerbuti

So let's talk all things Thanksgiving (except green bean casserole). I'll start:

So Alton Brown said to pull the bird out of the oven when the internal temp of the breast meat is 151 degrees and let carryover cooking do the rest. That seems really low to me. I want juicy but no salmonella please. Any advice from the real pros?

I just got done making a sweet potato casserole that's going to be awesome. Simmered sweet potato chunks in butter, brown sugar and a little water until tender. Then tomorrow I'll top with a mixture of pecan halves, brown sugar, egg white and a pinch of cayenne and bake until GB&D on top.

gotta love thanksgiving.

I usually pull any fowl out of the heat when the thigh reaches around 155°, then cover the pan/dish it's baked in with heavy foil for at least 20 minutes. It will keep cooking for a while if you cover it up. Steam is good :D

yer' taters are making my stomach growl... :wacko:

Man how many women are in that band? Nice band outfits.

This one time at band camp.....

So Alton Brown said to pull the bird out of the oven when the internal temp of the breast meat is 151 degrees and let carryover cooking do the rest. That seems really low to me. I want juicy but no salmonella please. Any advice from the real pros?

I

I saw that show too and thought the same thing as you. :wacko:

ETA: I also noticed that he put his thermometer in the breast. I always thought you were supposed to put it in the thigh?

Edited by HowboutthemCowboys

From Bier...

basic turkey:

roast for about 20-30 min, reduce temp to 350. cook 30 min.. pour 1 cup of broth over turkey. add abut 1 tbs of butter to roasting pan. cook 30 min. baste with pan drippings. pour another C of broth over the bird. and add another tbs butter to pan. cover loosely with foil and roast until therm reads 175 at thickest part of thigh....basting with a cup of broth and tbs of butter every 30-45 min. this should take about 1 hour and 45 min + or -.

That's what I did last year and it was fantastic.

There are few things more beautiful than to see a gentle plume of smoke softly wafting out of The Egg. I brined my bird overnight and this year, I'm going with maple wood. Of course, I'll be frying a bird as well. That bird received a garlic/butter/herb injection last night.

Life is good.

I'm going the deep fry route this year. I brined the bird yesterday. I couldn't convince Ms Cid to let me smoke one this year.

As far as temp is concerned, it should be 170 in the breast, 180 in the thigh. Personally, I think that anything below 160 is too low for pulling the bird and to let residual cooking take over. There's no one coming to dinner today that I would like to see get food poisoning.

So I find out this morning that my probe thermometer is broken.

:wacko:

Looks like I'm going to have to use the Force.

I always keep a spare instant read thermometer around for that very reason.

Yup. . .put that one in the bird and it read -15 degrees. Both went in the gar-bagge.

Ouch...perhaps a quick trip to the Super Stop and Shop is in order?

Ouch...perhaps a quick trip to the Super Stop and Shop is in order?

Nah, I'm telling you I'm like Luke Skywalker with his tracking system off. I got this one.

Just heated up a gallon of apple cider, hit it with some cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg.

I am ready to face unafraid the plans that we've made!!

Nah, I'm telling you I'm like Luke Skywalker with his tracking system off. I got this one.

Just heated up a gallon of apple cider, hit it with some cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg.

I am ready to face unafraid the plans that we've made!!

hope it came out alright :wacko: