[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vikings Close to rading For Rosenfels

Outshined

My only guess with HOU is that they'll use that pick or one a round later and send it to MIA for John Beck. That's the only thing I can think of that makes any sense for HOU.

PS: still love the thread title: Vikings Close to rading :wacko:

:D yeah my coputer at home mises keys somtimes.

Texans will deal Rosenfels to Vikings

4th-round pick on way; waivers await DE Weaver By JOHN McCLAIN Copyright 2009 Houston Chronicle Feb. 23, 2009, 10:31PM

The Texans can’t consummate their trade of quarterback Sage Rosenfels to the Minnesota Vikings before 12:01 a.m. Friday, the start of the NFL year and the beginning of free agency.

Like other teams, the Texans are preparing for what is always a whirlwind period.

Besides trading Rosenfels to Minnesota for a fourth-round draft choice, the Texans will waive defensive end Anthony Weaver, who would have made base salaries of $3.5 million this year and $4 million in 2010.

Weaver signed a five-year, $26.5 million contract, including a $12.5 million signing bonus, to leave Baltimore for the Texans in 2006, which was Gary Kubiak’s first season as coach. He started for three seasons but didn’t provide the kind of pass rush the coaches wanted from the left side.

The Texans are expected to use free agency and the draft to try to improve their pass rush.

Weaver said Monday that he felt uncomfortable commenting until the move becomes official.

The Texans and Vikings won’t comment on the Rosenfels trade until Friday.

Pair arrived in 2006

Weaver and Rosenfels were part of the 2006 free-agent class that included receiver Kevin Walter. Rosenfels, who won six games in place of the injured Matt Schaub the last two seasons, will be given a chance to win the starting job over Tarvaris Jackson.

The Texans are trading Rosenfels because his contract would have expired after next season, and he would have left without compensation. The fourth-round pick gives them eight selections in the April 25-26 draft and also gives them some flexibility in case they want to try to move up rather than down.

In their last three drafts, the Texans have used fourth-round picks on tight end Owen Daniels, cornerback Fred Bennett and outside linebacker Xavier Adibi.

Without Rosenfels, the Texans will sign a veteran quarterback to back up Schaub. Alex Brink, a seventh-round pick last season, spent his rookie year on the practice squad.

Of the quarterbacks who are expected to become free agents on Friday, the Texans could be interested in Detroit’s Dan Orlovsky, Chicago’s Rex Grossman, Cincinnati’s Ryan Fitzpatrick, Tampa Bay’s Jeff Garcia and Denver’s Patrick Ramsey.

Before they acquired Schaub from Atlanta, the Texans showed interest in Garcia and Ramsey.

Vikes come calling again

This is the second year in a row in which the Vikings have been interested in Rosenfels. When the deal is completed, expect Rosenfels to reach an agreement on a long-term extension with Minnesota.

Rosenfels, who grew up in Iowa and played at Iowa State, was hoping to be traded to the Vikings last year. Reports said Minnesota offered a third-round draft choice, but the Texans wanted a second-round pick. Both teams denied an offer was made.

Rosenfels will be playing for a team that has Adrian Peterson and Chester Taylor at running back and has ranked first in the NFL in run defense for the last two years.

Well I guess Chilly is not too worried about his job... this move reeks of complacency. After two big moves last year Ziggy is settling for a journeyman backup to help move this team deep into the playoffs? Not that the FA QB class has a lot of talent but I think there were some better options out there. Garcia for one.

So now do they hope Sanchez does a Rodgers type slide in the draft? Has Chilly got another T-Jax on his radar? This team is looking for a new stadium… or maybe Zigggy is just looking for a way to cause apathy from Viking fans so he can move to LA?

Well I guess Chilly is not too worried about his job... this move reeks of complacency. After two big moves last year Ziggy is settling for a journeyman backup to help move this team deep into the playoffs? Not that the FA QB class has a lot of talent but I think there were some better options out there. Garcia for one.

So now do they hope Sanchez does a Rodgers type slide in the draft? Has Chilly got another T-Jax on his radar? This team is looking for a new stadium… or maybe Zigggy is just looking for a way to cause apathy from Viking fans so he can move to LA?

I don't think there are a whole lot of other true viable options. IMO, its TJax, Garcia or Sage. Outside of paying Warner 15 mill a year or some blockbuster trade. When I was looking at some stats for Garcia, something that jumped out at me was the amount of INTs he has had over the last 3 years, like 12 total? If we could have limited our QBs last year to that amount of INTs, we might have been on to something. But seriously, how much playing time does Garcia have left? I could see him having another good year, but at his age does anyone really think he has two good years left???

One or two years we're right back where we are now.

Sage's age makes him a little bit better option I think. However he does have a fairly high turnover ratio so that concerns me. He does have the ability to be a playmaker though. Something we were missing last year. Won't take that much to improve in that area either.

I don't quite get the Sanchez love, seeing as we already have Booty and Sanchez couldn't beat him out at USC.

I'm no college/draft expert, but it seems to me the QB class is pretty slim this year. Next year there appears to be more talent coming out. My thinking is either Sage or Garcia fills in this year, and possible next, we could possibly find the QB of the future in the 2010 draft.

Or you know...TJ could be ready by then. :wacko:

Edited by BillyBalata

I am not high on Sanchez or any other QB in the draft, but you know Chilly can find a franchise QB in any draft :wacko:

T-Jax is not going to be hard to beat out so Sage winning the job in camp is not saying much.....

I read somewhere that the Vikes have also offered Sage a 3 year contract extension totaling 9 mill? While thats not going to break the bank, seems to me that you would plan on giving the guy a pretty good chance at starting if you're going to pay him 3 mill a year...