[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Initial thoughts on DEN RBs

Bronco Billy

Initial thoughts about DEN RBs: avoid them in your FF draft.

McHoody Jr in a radio interview yesterday said, "We're going to use a lot more 1 back sets than 2 back sets." Add to that his offense is run predominantly out of the shotgun.

So far this camp Ryan Torain has looked very good, showing great patience and then tremendous burst through the hole and has been getting some first team reps. Peyton Hillis has also been working with the first team, has also looked very good, and as an added bonus probably has the best set of hands on the team - even when you include WRs. You also have Buckhalter and Jordan working at RB, and that leaves the currently unsigned Kno-show'n Moreno as a yet to be added piece.

Also interesting in McHoody Jr has also stated that the RBs he currently has are big and fast, just like he likes them, with all RBs over 225 lbs (he made a point to mention size & weight of the RBs.) Kno-show'n Moreno will be the lightest of the RBs on the roster, though he is hardly a featherweight scatback at 5'-11" and 217 lbs.

The point being, there are what appears to be plenty of capable, and by the looks of it, at least 2 and possibly 3 RBs on the roster who could excel as a featured RB at the pro level. There also won't be as many touches to go around when you factor in the alleged use of lots of one back sets, forcing Hillis to get field time & touches in competition with at least 2 other RBs, and possibly 3 (McHoody Jr is going to have to trim at least one of these listed RBs off the roster somehow).

Even if Moreno is all that, it appears he's still going to be limited. The offense isn't going to be condusive to getting a lot of touches with a plethora of one back sets, and running out of the shotgun isn't rushing friendly either.

My thoughts: Let someone else take Moreno in what his current ADP has him going in the 4th round of FF drafts. The situation is way too dicey to bypass other players who will be much more steady and reliable producers for your team. And watch which of the DEN RBs is sent packing, and where he goes, whether through trade or being cut. One of these guys could be a very nice producer for another team that might be short handed at RB in the next 2 to 3 weeks.

Some thoughts to chew on as you put together your cheatsheets...

One last thought: With all the talent currently at RB, and with Kno-show'n still in Georgia (he's not even in DEN, waiting to hop on the field as soon as he's signed), it would appear that McHoody Jr could have either used that 1.12 pick for a D lineman, or even better, traded down like his mentor and acquired 2 quality D linemen (you'll notice that the evil one gobbled up Ron Brace as one of 4 2nd round picks) who most probably could have started this year on the D line with the awful lack of talent there, and been able to get them both into camp without having to pay first round money.

This kid is looking less and less like he knows what he is doing every day...

How much time has he missed already and when do they break camp?

He missed the first 3 days of rookie/injured camp, which was last Mon, Tues, & Wed I believe. Then regular camp started on Friday, so he has missed the past 4 days with no real chance of reporting today even if he did sign (Ayers signed yesterday but did not practice after participating in the screening conditioning test - due to his rubbery legs after the testing, by Ayers account in an interview last night). That would put him at least 8 days behind rookies who signed in time and at least 5 days behind the vets - and counting.

I'm not a fan of drafting prolonged holdouts to begin with (prolonged being more than 2 or 3 days). They seem to have a higher injury risk.

Edited by Bronco Billy

I'm going to get eaten alive for this, but what the hell. I made it to the superbowl last year!

We are doing a dynasty league (3 players which impact this years draft depending on when they were drafted last year) this year and I really don't have squat for players I wanted to keep so I did make a racial decision to keep Hillis in my dynasty league. He wasn't drafted so I won't have any impact on my draft but I think with Orton as QB, Hillis should get allot of touches. Either on the ground or in the air.

I'm going to get eaten alive for this, but what the hell. I made it to the superbowl last year!

We are doing a dynasty league (3 players which impact this years draft depending on when they were drafted last year) this year and I really don't have squat for players I wanted to keep so I did make a racial decision to keep Hillis in my dynasty league. He wasn't drafted so I won't have any impact on my draft but I think with Orton as QB, Hillis should get allot of touches. Either on the ground or in the air.

:confused:

If you are playing in a dynasty league, you keep all of your previous years' players until you make cuts for the following year's roster requirements. Why would Hillis be any different than any other player?

:wacko:

HUH?? Just...HUH???

BB covered off on the dynasty part already but what does making a "racial decision" have to do with this topic? Maybe you meant to type "radical?"

Edited by The Wolf

:confused:

If you are playing in a dynasty league, you keep all of your previous years' players until you make cuts for the following year's roster requirements. Why would Hillis be any different than any other player?

In our dynasty league, we are only able to keep 3 players and depending on their draft, will impact this years draft. Not an ordinary dynasty, but I've seen a few simular in rule sets.

In our dynasty league, we are only able to keep 3 players and depending on their draft, will impact this years draft. Not an ordinary dynasty, but I've seen a few simular in rule sets.

That my friend is NOT a dynasty league. Anything short of a full roster hold over( until cuts of course) is keeper league. Get your terminology correct. And as far as the other part of you comment , are you saying Orton ,who is white ,would throw more passes to Hillis because he is also white ? Because if you are ,you need to get a grip on reality. Unless Orton is a card carrying member of the KKK he will pass the ball to the open player regardless of race. :wacko:

Edited by G.K.Trey

The point being, there are what appears to be plenty of capable, and by the looks of it, at least 2 and possibly 3 RBs on the roster who could excel as a featured RB at the pro level.

Yeah that's why they drafted Moreno. :wacko:

Not buying it BB. I agree holding out makes this dicier and he could have some limited touches, but Moreno will be the man, it's just a question of when. The rest are wannabes who might have a big play or game and that's about it. I wouldn't go out of my way for the guy, but if you wait on RB2 you could sure do worse.

Not buying it BB. I agree holding out makes this dicier and he could have some limited touches, but Moreno will be the man, it's just a question of when. The rest are wannabes who might have a big play or game and that's about it. I wouldn't go out of my way for the guy, but if you wait on RB2 you could sure do worse.

I think McHoody Jr had no idea what kind of personnel he had on the team. He drafts Moreno with all the other RBs there, and his only impact move on the D-line - a D-line which is woefully undermanned in terms of 3-4 personnel - is to acquire SF's 3rd string NT. Hell, he even dumped the DEN long snapper, who was a locker room favorite and team leader, and brought in his own long snapper for $1M. The Cutler idiocy only reinforces that.

I think we are seeing mismanagement of a team on a major scale here. I've wondered openly here whether the Evil One has given McHoody Jr orders to dismantle the only team he couldn't beat regularly, and will rehire McHoody Jr after Bowlen fires him for posting terrible years under his guidance.

Edited by Bronco Billy

I still have some hope for Torain. Depending on how bad his ACL tear was and his recovering, the kid has potential for all star. I was bewildered with getting Moreno, really. I felt they could have used that pick for some more defensive help. I really think their offense is somewhat sound, even with Orton or Smith (Orton will get the job) behind the center.