[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If you were the Colts owner or GM . . .

CaptainHook

What whould you do?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. hmmm?

• I would have played healthy starters 3 games no matter what. 19-0 is most important.
    • I would have rested the starters, just like the Colts did. The Super Bowl is most important.
    • I would have rested the starters, but handled it differently. For example, letting Colts fans know in advance that was the plan.

You don't need a "good percentage" to go down. One would have been bad enough. And it wasn't just the second half of the Jets game, but also this week against the Bills you have to worry about. The Colts have had horrible injury problems all year. And Manning had been drilled a couple times against the Jets.

One would have been bad enough only if it was Manning. Anyway, judging by how you cant let this go it seems deep down the decision to pass a chance at doing something no other team has done didnt sit well with you. Its sort of over now. N.E did it a few years ago so it is certainly possible. Their loss was against a team that caught lightning in a bottle and not because their organization pusslied out.

They are damned if they do damned if they don't. If they play the entire game and manning takes a shot that knocks him out for multiple weeks then everyone is saying "Why was he in there so long anyway?" I bring Manning up because he is one of the top players at his position and the gap between him and hus backup is much greater than the other guys that rested.

The poll is flawed. My answer would be number 1 but not because 19-0 is most importnant. Its because it is a special acheivement that comes once in a lifetime and they could have done it with ease. Manning never gets touched. They would have been fine for the playoff run.

The problem with this line of thinking is that maybe he'd be a healthy scratch, but maybe there were guys on the O-line who really needed the rest. Now you've got a QB who never gets touched playing behind 2nd stringers on the O-line. That seems a bit dicey.

I mean, if you've got guys who really need some rest to get healthy, you're a fool to play them in games you don't need to win. And, again, if they're the guys who protect your franchise QB...

Now, if nobody was dinged up on the O-line, then I'd be all for keeping everyone in.

I don't know that it does that. The pressure at 18-0 would have been tremendous.

But I do think it puts more pressure on them to win their first playoff game.

No, I agree that it puts the pressure on to at least GET to the SB.

Anything short and it's "oh, good thing you rested your players for THAT."

Or even worse, they get to the playoffs and a key player gets injured and they lose the first game anyway.

They should've just played to win.

I disagree. Apparently so do the Colts. Cause he wasn't the only one they pulled.

Once you pulled Manning you gave up the likely chance of winning . At that point it made sense to pull the rest of the guys

Once you pulled Manning you gave up the likely chance of winning . At that point it made sense to pull the rest of the guys

The Colts did not give up a TD defensively until Brackett, Freeney, and Bethea left the game.

No, I agree that it puts the pressure on to at least GET to the SB.

Anything short and it's "oh, good thing you rested your players for THAT."

Or even worse, they get to the playoffs and a key player gets injured and they lose the first game anyway.

They should've just played to win.

I think if they win their first game, and bring an AFC Championship game to Indianapolis, most Colts fans will forgive them. Cause that'll be exciting!

Edited by CaptainHook

you go for it ...the players all seemed to want to and it keeps you sharp as ever when playoffs come

its a chance for history and immortality which may only come once in a lifetime , it also is fair to the fans who paid good money to see the Colts not the colts subs and it forces teams to earn right into playoffs instead of any back door possibilities

The Colts did not give up a TD defensively until Brackett, Freeney, and Bethea left the game.

They could have absorbed anything the D gave up if Manning was left in the game. Have you watched any Colts games this year ? Even in games the D laid an egg Manning was pretty instrumental in some impressive late comebacks this year.

In fairness I actually thought it was a smart move when they first tanked that game. I was thinking big picture was more important. Then I though about how they affected the playoffs for starters by allowing the Jets who were dead in the water a shot now. I also saw how the players and fans truly wanted this. Manning looked like he was going to puke. It was a very poor decision. Anyway you slice it. The Saints lost it while playing it out the old fashioned way. The Colts handed it away. Its all good. It is a nice position to be in. Guys are healthy and you have one of the greatest football players in the history of the game IMO. It was just surprising and weak to give away a shot at something so rarely seen in pro football

They could have absorbed anything the D gave up if Manning was left in the game. Have you watched any Colts games this year ? Even in games the D laid an egg Manning was pretty instrumental in some impressive late comebacks this year.

No, I don't watch Colts game. :wacko:

I just think your are understating the importance of other Colts, not only in the Jets game, but in their (hopefully) long playoff run.