[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What do you think the worst draft position is this season?

MTSuper7

After mocking and looking at ADPs, it seems like the 7th pick is the worst. You miss out on the elite level RBs and most likely Andre Johnson as well. It feels early to take Randy Moss or Reggie Wayne at #7, but assuming CP, AP, MJD, Ray Rice and Gore are off the board, do you really want to roll the dice with a guy like SJax at #7? I suppose you could take the first QB, but then you are playing catchup at RB and WR the rest of the draft.

Seems like anywhere in the top 6 has an easier decision, and the bottom 3 picks are in decent shape because they get good 2nd round value. But that pesky 7th pick could start something like Rodgers (or SJax) - Roddy White - Knowshon Moreno. Seems destined for mediocrity... Any thoughts on this?

please elaborate.

you don't get a top 5 player (CJ/MJD/ADP/Rice/someone else I am forgetting) and you don't get to draft late in the 1st to get a decent 2nd round player in the wrap around (unless you're in a 10 team league, which is perfectly fine of course :tup:)....

1-5 and 10-12 are my best draft slots.....but in my local, I always draft 6th or 7th.....I absolutely hate it...I am starting to think the hat with the numbers in it is rigged... :tup::wacko:

DMD, in his infinite wisdom, has long been an auction draft fan too - in fact he wrote a classic article explaining why they're better than snake drafts - here's a link:

http://www.thehuddle.com/classics/02auction.php

But to basically answer the question: you get a certain # of "draft dollars" to buy all your players. People take turns nominating a player to bid on, and it can be anyone, and you bid on them just like in any other auction. It's far better because there's no "hurry up and pick" BS, total action the whole time, and it's totally fair. It's totally up to you who you buy or not.

Edited by BeeR

you wouldn't be happy with Gore or AJ? (referencing that you'd rather have 1.08 than 1.06)

the dropoff is substantial imo, I think I can get a WR close to AJ's value and I still don't think Gore can stay healthy enough playing at a high level....

I'd rather be able to lock down two players I know I want later in the round or be able to get a stud RB earlier in the round and have 2 picks close to one another in rounds 2/3....

it's really tough to gameplan for those middle picks....because you seriously have no idea who will be available for your next pick...

The number 8 spot is horrible this year..... You likely miss out on the top6 RBs (including Turner) and also AJ at receiver. ! I have decided NOT to pick S JAX there (I can't stomach the back issues), and will take RODGERS ..!!!

I wouldn't want Turner, Gore or SJax.....I would rather take Rodgers (...I think)

I wouldn't want Turner, Gore or SJax.....I would rather take Rodgers (...I think)

Wow, I've never taken a QB in the first round of any league I've ever been in with the exception of one league that had skewed scoring toward QBs. Any time I ever mock with a QB as my first pick, my team always seems so iffy. It seems like you really have to have more of your value picks pan out in later rounds make up for losing out on a top player at WR/RB early on. To me, playing the QB carousel by waiting until round 7 or later for QB but securing your backup earlier than you otherwise would is a better strategy. Even if I had 1.12, I'd have a hard time using one of those picks on a QB. Maybe I'm making a mistake, but I've been successful for many years with this strategy.

Even if I had 1.12, I'd have a hard time using one of those picks on a QB. Maybe I'm making a mistake, but I've been successful for many years with this strategy.

Yeah...a successful "LOSER"...bwaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahaha.... oh man did anybody hear that? I said.."yeah a successful LOSER" hahahahahaha... oh my god that was hillarious!!

Wow, I've never taken a QB in the first round of any league I've ever been in with the exception of one league that had skewed scoring toward QBs. Any time I ever mock with a QB as my first pick, my team always seems so iffy. It seems like you really have to have more of your value picks pan out in later rounds make up for losing out on a top player at WR/RB early on. To me, playing the QB carousel by waiting until round 7 or later for QB but securing your backup earlier than you otherwise would is a better strategy. Even if I had 1.12, I'd have a hard time using one of those picks on a QB. Maybe I'm making a mistake, but I've been successful for many years with this strategy.

In most drafts I go RB early, but the years I've been most successful are the one's where I have taken a QB early...

but then again, this is in my local where the scoring is a bit unique and in I think it was 2004, Culpepper and Manning flat out dominated my league...

my perception of WR's is that I can draft a group that has 2 studs and an upside player....either that or I end up trading for that 3rd WR wih the depth I have at another position....

my problem is that I have conditioned myself to draft and value players according to my scoring system in my local and I end up joining other leagues which have a scoring system which is more traditional than the local league...

anyways - if I can't get a top 5 RB, I'll probably go QB early....but a lot of things can change between now and draft day...

This is approximately how I would rank the best redraft serpentine draft positions... and it really almost doesn't even matter which year you are talking about:

here's my take

but 7 or 8 can be interchangeable...

In most drafts I go RB early, but the years I've been most successful are the one's where I have taken a QB early...

I've had successful years where I didn't have a true stud RB, but never one w/o a stud QB. Maybe coincidence, just an observation. Might be because with RBs you can start multiple, whereas with most leagues it's just one QB.

I've had successful years where I didn't have a true stud RB, but never one w/o a stud QB. Maybe coincidence, just an observation. Might be because with RBs you can start multiple, whereas with most leagues it's just one QB.

exactly....even in my local where you start 1QB/2RB/3WR/1TE....I always find that if I have 3 quality RB's with a stud QB...it almost doesn't matter who else I have...

well, the WR's have to offer some sort of quality....but they aren't a necessity like RB's and a QB for me...

Drafting QB early isn't the best option is most leagues. QB's don't drop off tier-wise, like WR and RB do.

Sure, AR may be huge this year. I hope so as a Packer fan. There were many a year where Manning and Brady went in the top 5 and it really killed those teams (especially two years ago, Brady).

I'd go with a solid RB at #7 (Turner or take a chance on SJax). I know WR is a bit uncertain this year with Leinart taking over, but Fitz may get a ton of receptions while Leinart learning curve grows (course, so could the slot WR or TE).

In any case, it'll be an interesting draft season.

In my league where I am the commishioner, we've had a winner come from just about every draft slot, so you never know.

Drafting QB early isn't the best option is most leagues. QB's don't drop off tier-wise, like WR and RB do.

Sure, AR may be huge this year. I hope so as a Packer fan. There were many a year where Manning and Brady went in the top 5 and it really killed those teams (especially two years ago, Brady).

I'd go with a solid RB at #7 (Turner or take a chance on SJax). I know WR is a bit uncertain this year with Leinart taking over, but Fitz may get a ton of receptions while Leinart learning curve grows (course, so could the slot WR or TE).

In any case, it'll be an interesting draft season.

In my league where I am the commishioner, we've had a winner come from just about every draft slot, so you never know.

I have always found that when I draft 6-8, I hate it....but I usually win my local when I draft out of that position.....

...but it's through heavy trading and maneuvering throughout the season...

you forgot the 12 spot....but you're right on the money with the 4th spot being the best because I'll take any of the top 4 RB's and if that means having a better #2 pick, then yeah....sold...

I would put the 12 spot between 1 and 5...

you forgot the 12 spot....but you're right on the money with the 4th spot being the best because I'll take any of the top 4 RB's and if that means having a better #2 pick, then yeah....sold...

I would put the 12 spot between 1 and 5...

It depends on how far down you want to go with this though. Because he 1 spot also gets the best pick of the 3rd round... So suffice it to say that Any of the top 4 are nice, but I tend to think 1 is still better because the value is still high with picks #24 and #25.

For fun, I used the Huddle "Top 200 PPR" as a draft list, and picked the 3 players who were in the appropriate draft slot. Here are the 3-somes you get:

CJ, Jennings, Turner

AP, S. Jax, Fitz (my favorite)

MJD, Mendenhall, Colston

Gore, Calvin, Addai

Rice, Moreno, DeS. jackson

A. Johnson, B. Marshall, R. Matthews (don't like)

Rodgers, P. Thomas, McCoy

R. Moss, S. Smith, NYG, Romo

Charles, R. Grant, Boldin (interesting)

R. Wayne, Peyton, S. Rice

D. Williams, Austin, S. Smith, Car

Brees, Rod. White, Hightower