[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Broncos/Colts

JUMbotron

LOL, and that's being kind.

I was listening to 2 sports talk shows yesterday talking about this game, and they brought up last year's game and how close DEN was to winning it, and how the score wasn't representative of the game. That wasn't quite my recollection of the game, so I had to go back and look it up. Sure enough, IND jumped out to a 21-0 lead, just like they alwys have done against DEN. Moreno had 23 carries and a whopping 26 touches, netting a putrid 2.74 ypc and an even more atrocious 2.92 ypt.

The only thing that kept this from being a typical 4+ TD IND shellacking of DEN were Manning's uncharacteristic 3 INTs to go with his 4 TDs, and Brandon Marshall setting an NFL record by going off for 21 catches and 200 yds. Other than Marshall, the DEN net O was a total of 157 yds. Needless to say, the reality didn't quite live up to the recollections of the DEN sports talking heads...

Now there is no Marshall, the likelihood of Manning having another 3 pick day is about the same as hitting the powerball, and both DEN starting CBs are tweaked and are questionable to even suit up.

This has the potential to get very, very ugly.

I was listening to 2 sports talk shows yesterday talking about this game, and they brought up last year's game and how close DEN was to winning it, and how the score wasn't representative of the game. That wasn't quite my recollection of the game, so I had to go back and look it up. Sure enough, IND jumped out to a 21-0 lead, just like they alwys have done against DEN. Moreno had 23 carries and a whopping 26 touches, netting a putrid 2.74 ypc and an even more atrocious 2.92 ypt.

The only thing that kept this from being a typical 4+ TD IND shellacking of DEN were Manning's uncharacteristic 3 INTs to go with his 4 TDs, and Brandon Marshall setting an NFL record by going off for 21 catches and 200 yds. Other than Marshall, the DEN net O was a total of 157 yds. Needless to say, the reality didn't quite live up to the recollections of the DEN sports talking heads...

Now there is no Marshall, the likelihood of Manning having another 3 pick day is about the same as hitting the powerball, and both DEN starting CBs are tweaked and are questionable to even suit up.

This has the potential to get very, very ugly.

Good stuff.

I'll go on a limb here and say this has OVER written all over it, and will be a shootout. Denver won't win, but they'll pace the Colts closer than BB expects. See you Sunday night.

The Colts have played DEN 7 times in the regular season during the Manning era. Manning is 5-2 in those games. Sounds like a good run, but not total dominance.

But there's a caveat: DEN's only 2 wins were in '03 and '04 when IND was already locked into the playoffs and looking at DEN as a likely foe in the first round. In both of those regular season losses that were literally meaningless games for IND, IND came back and won in round 1 of the playoffs by an average margin of 28 pts. In the 7 wins over DEN (the 5 regular season and the two playoff games) the average margin of victory has been 16 pts. That includes the 12 pt W last year, which as described earlier could have been a whole lot worse.

Now, anything can happen in a NFL game. But history has not been kind to DEN when they come up head-to-head vs Manning's Colts.

The Colts have played DEN 7 times in the regular season during the Manning era. Manning is 5-2 in those games. Sounds like a good run, but not total dominance.

But there's a caveat: DEN's only 2 wins were in '03 and '04 when IND was already locked into the playoffs and looking at DEN as a likely foe in the first round. In both of those regular season losses that were literally meaningless games for IND, IND came back and won in round 1 of the playoffs by an average margin of 28 pts. In the 7 wins over DEN (the 5 regular season and the two playoff games) the average margin of victory has been 16 pts. That includes the 12 pt W last year, which as described earlier could have been a whole lot worse.

Now, anything can happen in a NFL game. But history has not been kind to DEN when they come up head-to-head vs Manning's Colts.

A caveat to the caveat: Sunday, October 3rd, 1993. The last time the Broncos beat the Colts in a regular season game that really mattered for both teams. After watching Freeny and Mathis use the Giants OTs as broken turnstiles last week, I expect Orton to be on the ground a lot. Bummer.

Unfortunately this is closer to being a big time blowout vs. a close game. I just don't see any way that Denver can make this a close game. They won't and haven't been able to run the ball all season. If Orton gets into an air it out game against Manning, Denver loses every time.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm afraid this game, and the next 3 will be loses for Denver.

Unfortunately this is closer to being a big time blowout vs. a close game. I just don't see any way that Denver can make this a close game. They won't and haven't been able to run the ball all season. If Orton gets into an air it out game against Manning, Denver loses every time.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm afraid this game, and the next 3 will be loses for Denver.

I agree. If that does happen, I wonder what the McDaniels' sack swingers are going to say about his going 3-13 over the past 16 regular season games? When you include last year's home losses to OAK and KC in that run, we're talking about DEN being one of the two to possibly 3 worst teams in the NFL over that period. That doesn't change even if DEN manages to somehow pull a rabbit out of the hat and beat one of their next four opponents.