[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Clinched!

Sunday Couch Potatoe

No problem. I would agree that no one has stepped up as the clear favorite in the AFC. Right now, I think the 4 most capable of winning it, in no particular order are Ravens, Pats, Steelers & Texans (although, that would be quite a story with what they've had to overcome) However, if recent history has taught us anything, don't count out anyone that gets into the show. If you make the playoffs and get hot, you can end up holding the Lombardi trophy.

Right you are. Unfortunately for me I hate 3 of those 4 teams. I nearly :wacko: when it was Ravens-Steelers in AFC title game (last year?)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure how the seeding will end up, but a game with the Niners and Saints in January would be great. I was reading about some bad feelings between Payton and Harbaugh. At least after the handshake Payton wont be able to chase Harbaugh down and belly buck him.

Not sure how the seeding will end up, but a game with the Niners and Saints in January would be great. I was reading about some bad feelings between Payton and Harbaugh. At least after the handshake Payton wont be able to chase Harbaugh down and belly buck him.

Wow, be careful what you wish for. Just sayin'.

Wow, be careful what you wish for. Just sayin'.

At this point, it's either inevitable or best-case scenario. Either way...

Inevitable because, if SF gets the 2nd seed, they're almost certain to be playing NO, who should dispatch whomever they play in the first round

Best case because, if SF loses out on the 2nd seed, then playing NO means they beat whomever they faced in the 1st round.

Ravens = bums. They dog it all season, just so they can beat the Steelers.

This is the first year that have truly succeeded in that. The Steelers have pretty much owned them, especially when it counts the most. :wacko:

Jim Harbaugh should get coach of the year without question - anyone who can go 10-2 with Alex Smith as their QB is a borderline miracle worker regardless of who was on the schedule. Also, all of this talk about the 49ers getting owned by the Ravens... You could put an awful lot of teams on the road in a prime time night game at Baltimore and get a similar result. If that game had been in SF, or even if it had just been a regular day game, it would have been closer (I actually think the Ravens probably lose that game if played in SF).

Jim Harbaugh should get coach of the year without question - anyone who can go 10-2 with Alex Smith as their QB is a borderline miracle worker regardless of who was on the schedule. Also, all of this talk about the 49ers getting owned by the Ravens... You could put an awful lot of teams on the road in a prime time night game at Baltimore and get a similar result. If that game had been in SF, or even if it had just been a regular day game, it would have been closer (I actually think the Ravens probably lose that game if played in SF).

I watched that game and I'm a huge Niner fan. And I'm not going to say we didn't get owned. Our D played well enough to keep us in striking distance and we did have a long TD called back (on a totally legit call that may or may not have had an effect on the play). However, our O-line was completely and totally man-handled all night long. That was frustrating as all hell to watch, so I'm not going to argue with anyone who wants to say we got owned.

Sure, play that game in SF, it could have turned out differently. But the facts are the facts.

He's got to be one of the top candidates (cannot think of anybody else deserving, maybe Kubiak for managing with all the injuries :wacko:)

Its basically the same team that Singletary had last year, but playing a lot better. And they've only played 3 games against the other "soft" NFC West teams. (Earlier in the year some analyst was saying "Well they play in a weak division" when they were like 7-1, but they had only played 1 game in the division.)

Really looking forward to their MNF game vs PIT in a couple of weeks (PIT will have to travel west but has a long week since they play Thursday this week).

And they've only played 3 games against the other "soft" NFC West teams. (Earlier in the year some analyst was saying "Well they play in a weak division" when they were like 7-1, but they had only played 1 game in the division.)

Their out of division schedule is not exactly strong. They have played a total of 3 playoff teams (losses to Baltimore and Dallas, and a win against Cincy).

Their out of division schedule is not exactly strong. They have played a total of 3 playoff teams (losses to Baltimore and Dallas, and a win against Cincy).

Never said it was. And comparing who you play this yea to who made the playoffs is pretty useless.

Besides as many people point out, you can only play who is on the schedule.

Many act like playing teams in the NFC East is a tough schedule, but none of those teams look all that tough lately.

And comparing who you play this yea to who made the playoffs is pretty useless.

I'm comparing it to teams who are currently in a playoff position THIS year

I'd argue that the 2 best teams they've played this year are Baltimore and Dallas, neither of whom are particularly strong.....and SF lost both those....

Edited by nelsosi

Is SF better than last year? Absolutely, and their defense is very good

But are they "10-2" good? I seriously doubt it; their soft schedule is making their record look better than they really are.

That's all I'm trying to say.

I'd argue that the 2 best teams they've played this year are Baltimore and Dallas, neither of whom are particularly strong.....and SF lost both those....

OK gotcha, but that's pretty speculative as well, and I'd bet at least one (if not 2) of those teams miss the playoffs (only one I see in for sure is BAL).

The game against PIT should be a good test.

They lost to Dallas in OT so the game was close. The game against Baltimore was also a very tight game, so they played both teams tough.

Saying Baltimore isn't particularly strong? Who is a better team? GB, and really that is the only team you can say for sure is better. Baltimore is arguably the second best team in the league, and at minimum top 5, so you can't say they aren't particularly strong.

Also they beat the giants and the lions. While neither of these teams are better than Baltimore, I think they are comparable to Dallas. So they have beaten some quality teams.

Yeah I guess the rest of their schedule wasn't too hard but they are still a very good team and imo top 5 in the league.

Probably goes something like this.

GB

Bal

SF

NOS

Hou

Pitt

Pats

They lost to Dallas in OT so the game was close. The game against Baltimore was also a very tight game, so they played both teams tough.

Saying Baltimore isn't particularly strong? Who is a better team? GB, and really that is the only team you can say for sure is better. Baltimore is arguably the second best team in the league, and at minimum top 5, so you can't say they aren't particularly strong.

Also they beat the giants and the lions. While neither of these teams are better than Baltimore, I think they are comparable to Dallas. So they have beaten some quality teams.

Yeah I guess the rest of their schedule wasn't too hard but they are still a very good team and imo top 5 in the league.

Probably goes something like this.

GB

Bal

SF

NOS

Hou

Pitt

Pats

I think many will disagree with your ranking of BAL as the 2nd best team in the NFL, not even sure they're 2nd best in the AFC. Played up to big games beating PIT twice, but then lost to inferior teams the following week (TEN & SEA) as well as a loss to JAX. I'd put all 3 of those NFC teams in your list above ALL AFC teams.

He's got to be one of the top candidates (cannot think of anybody else deserving, maybe Kubiak for managing with all the injuries :wacko:)

John Fox.

Had to get a Tebow reference in this thread somehow. Thanks for opening the door. :tup:

Edited by tazinib1

I think many will disagree with your ranking of BAL as the 2nd best team in the NFL, not even sure they're 2nd best in the AFC. Played up to big games beating PIT twice, but then lost to inferior teams the following week (TEN & SEA) as well as a loss to JAX. I'd put all 3 of those NFC teams in your list above ALL AFC teams.

Well if your list goes

GB

SF

NOS

who is next? What team is better than Baltimore in the AFC? Houston? You can't really argue Pittsburgh is they have lost twice this year to Baltimore.

Still Baltimore is a top 5 team, and losing too a top 5 team isn't the end of the world.

Baltimore has also beat Houston convincingly and SF, a team you ranked above them.

Honestly, depending on your perspective, it's either a really easy or impossible list to make.

It goes like this:

Green Bay

As of recently, New Orleans

A bunch of flawed teams that can can still beat the above teams that includes, in no particular order:

Balt, SF, Dallas, NE, Houston, Pittsburgh

A whole bunch of particularly flawed teams that still might beat you in no particular order:

Jets, Cinci, Denver, Oakland (I guess), NYG, ATL, Detroit (but they're 2-5 over their last 7 games).

But, as far as those groups are concerned, pretending to know the specific order they should be ranked is silly.

Edited by detlef

Well if your list goes

GB

SF

NOS

who is next? What team is better than Baltimore in the AFC? Houston? You can't really argue Pittsburgh is they have lost twice this year to Baltimore.

Still Baltimore is a top 5 team, and losing too a top 5 team isn't the end of the world.

Baltimore has also beat Houston convincingly and SF, a team you ranked above them.

I could argue PIT, even though they lost both games to BAL. I could also argue NE (even with bad D), not sure I can put HOU near the top because their rookie QB and AJ being banged up again.

I can't see how you argue BAL is 2nd best in the league when they've lost to some pretty bad teams. My main point is, BAL is not better than SF & NOS. Its just my opinion, I'm not some NFL expert or anything. I did just watch BAL struggle for a half against the Browns, who are also not a good team. I doubt that PIT struggles against CLE, whether at home or on the road.

Is SF better than last year? Absolutely, and their defense is very good

But are they "10-2" good? I seriously doubt it; their soft schedule is making their record look better than they really are.

That's all I'm trying to say.

All your trying to do is piss in there cheerios.... Haters gotta hate! :wacko: