[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Matthews?

TF4

Fantasy Football Breaking News

Ryan Mathews: Mathews to be feature back again soon for SD

Ryan Mathews - RB - SD - Sep. 30 - 6:22 pm et

When asked if the Ryan Mathews and Jackie Battle timeshare would continue, the Union-Tribune's Kevin Acee replied that Mathews will "get another shot, (he's) too good."

Acee also added that "(the Chargers) love Mathews too much" and that head coach Norv Turner "could not stop praising (Mathews) after the game." Veteran plodder Jackie Battle handled all of the red zone work on Sunday against the Chiefs, and then the two backs rotated series throughout the game. There's not a whole lot to worry about here. Mathews should be back as the team's bellcow back in due time. He's just too much more dynamic for the Chargers to keep him off of the field. Turner seemed to be dolling out some punishment to Mathews after a Week 3 fumble. Look for a breakout game next week against the Saints. Sep. 30 - 6:22 pm et

Source: Kevin Acee on Twitter

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/sep/30/ryan-mathews-doesnt-start-responds/

t wasn't the typical game for Ryan Mathews.

He didn't start Sunday. He didn't play at all in the third quarter. He had just four carries by the start of the fourth.

Then, the Chargers began featuring their third-year running back. If he keeps protecting the football, it won't be the last time.

Mathews paid some penance against the Chiefs, working in a more complementary role after a costly fumble last week in his season debut. The Pro Bowler had 10 carries for 60 yards with an eight-yard reception in the fourth quarter of a 37-20 win.

For Mathews, the reduced usage didn't come as a shock.

“I kind of expected it from last week,” Mathews said. “But you can't (dwell on) that. You've just got to keep playing and cheering on your teammates when you're not in and go 100 miles per hour when you are.”

Coach Norv Turner said after the game he has “great trust” in Mathews.

For much of the game, he had a different way of showing it.

Jackie Battle drew the start. Mathews didn't play a snap in the team's opening drive, which spanned nine plays and 76 yards. The Chargers ran 11 plays during four trips to the red zone, and of them, Mathews had his number called once on a hand-off from the 15-yard line.

The Chargers are still very high on the young back.

But it was clear they wanted to send him a message about ball security.

“We just have a lot of guys that can make plays,” Turner said when asked about the backfield split. “I thought it was important to let Jackie start the game. I wanted to make sure we got into a rhythm. We had a plan for specific things for Ryan, and I thought he responded in the four minutes right there at the end. He was rolling and hitting it.

“You ask about the confidence I have in him. We're trying to put the game away, and he's the guy handling the ball, so I think that answers that question.”

Mathews finished with 14 carries for a team-high 61 yards. He added two catches for 21.

Personally I liked Tolbert more than Matthews but up for another day. Matthews fumbles so now you have to work yourself back to be the top dog. Matthews is no Jamaal Charles where he can fumble twice and still be in the game. Battle is as good with Ronnie Brown down there catching all the scraps.

Anybody read this from last week

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/28/a-j-smith-puts-mathews-on-notice-for-fumbling-problems/

AJ Smith himself indicated that Matthews will sit some because of the fumbling problems. I thought Norv said the same, or indicated as much with a benching last week after the fumble. Matthews is not some super stud RB that can fumble and get away with it. He's going to have to work back into the feature role and show he can protect the ball before he gets the feature rule.

I am so glad I didn't trade for this guy, he seems to have lots of potential but far too many question marks.

I don't see the original owner holding on to Mathews for 2 dead weeks and then looking to trade him away now. Norv already said he's their guy so unless he fumbles again he should be solid.

This.

I think he'd be tough to 'buy' in most leagues at this point. Whoever drafted him was likely thinking long-term; they're not going to sell at a discount now.

Edited by nelsosi

You have to be willing to entirely waste whatever it is you giving up for him, considering his value will be at close to zero if he fails to protect the football in another key situation. Until he proves he can secure the ball, they will limit his exposure at key times in games and if he fails again at a key time, he's done.

Mathews is far from done in SD or in the league. AJ Smith himself loves the guy and wants him to succeed. They will give him the ball and plenty more opportunties. People have said he is no Jamaal Charles and that I agree with but he is certainly the most talented RB in San Diego and had KC not handed the game to San Diego early Battle and Ronnie brown couldn't hold Mathews jock on a good day.

No way Mathews is not the lead back for SD this season barring injury which can happen but can happen to anyone. Even if he fumbles again in two or three weeks he will be the lead RB or SD is in for a very long season, they cannot throw every down and Battle/Brown cannot lead a team to the playoffs..the competition is not KC every week...starting this week against a very uset New Orleans team.

Mathews is far from done in SD or in the league. AJ Smith himself loves the guy and wants him to succeed. They will give him the ball and plenty more opportunties. People have said he is no Jamaal Charles and that I agree with but he is certainly the most talented RB in San Diego and had KC not handed the game to San Diego early Battle and Ronnie brown couldn't hold Mathews jock on a good day.

No way Mathews is not the lead back for SD this season barring injury which can happen but can happen to anyone. Even if he fumbles again in two or three weeks he will be the lead RB or SD is in for a very long season, they cannot throw every down and Battle/Brown cannot lead a team to the playoffs..the competition is not KC every week...starting this week against a very uset New Orleans team.

Not buying it, if he fumbles more he will be benched again and could be off the team. Very few players are that talented that a team can tolerate mistakes. Matthews is not in that group. Did you hear the comments AJ made about him, and how they handle players that fumble. Specifically something like "They get benched to think about it. Then when they come back if they do it again they don't play again. If they keep doing it they are fumbling for a different team." Doesn't sound like a lot of love for Mathews.

Trust me all talk....trying to explain to Mathews that they are serious by making such statements to the media. You are kidding yourselves if you believe the Chargers are going to ride Battle or Brown or anyone else on their roster as their starting RB.

If they do they are in big big trouble....Mathews will be back and be strong. Remember a back named Tiki Barber and all his fumbling issues? Most of his CAREER for that matter?

Still was a stud and still was a starter even though Coughlin and others warned us all via the media that Tiki better get it fixed or he is done and will be playing elsewhere...never happened...he left the game but not because of his fumbling...

Trust me all talk....trying to explain to Mathews that they are serious by making such statements to the media. You are kidding yourselves if you believe the Chargers are going to ride Battle or Brown or anyone else on their roster as their starting RB.

If they do they are in big big trouble....Mathews will be back and be strong. Remember a back named Tiki Barber and all his fumbling issues? Most of his CAREER for that matter?

Still was a stud and still was a starter even though Coughlin and others warned us all via the media that Tiki better get it fixed or he is done and will be playing elsewhere...never happened...he left the game but not because of his fumbling...

Tiki eventually corrected his fumbling problems. We are not sure that Mathews has.

I'll put a lot more weight in the words and actions of GM & coaches then a bunch of people pimping Mathews for their own reasons.

I avoided him in a trade for many reasons, and am glad I did.

Guess we have one of those agree to disagree moments.

Tiki eventually corrected his fumbling problems. We are not sure that Mathews has.

I'll put a lot more weight in the words and actions of GM & coaches then a bunch of people pimping Mathews for their own

He hasn't been given the chance to correct it yet. SD has sent him the message, now he gets the chance to respond to it.

It's not unlike Tiki, or Adrian Peterson. Both had serious fumble issues.

I'll put a lot more weight in the words and actions of GM & coaches then a bunch of people pimping Mathews for their own reasons.

I avoided him in a trade for many reasons, and am glad I did.

Guess we have one of those agree to disagree moments.

It appears you have these moments with just about everyone you have interaction with here :shrug:

Just sayin :oops:

Edited by Sunday Couch Potatoe

I have zero confidence in this situation. I'm stuck starting Mathews. I wish I could sell him. Battle can't hold his jock talent wise but with the team best interest at hand, norv/owner are turning to battle for more ball security. SD is in the business to win games so I can understand why the team is doing what their doing. Sux for FF but the ugly reality is Mathews is one fumble from being worthless this year.

It appears you have these moments with just about everyone you have interaction with here :shrug:

Just sayin :oops:

:mouth::mouth::mouth:

Maybe I'm just more willing than others to say that, to stop a debate/discussion that isn't going anywhere. I'm not the only Huddler who isn't on the Matthews hype train. Nor am I the only Huddler that disagrees with other Huddlers.

How about every single game since he fumbled in his first game as Charger, the Monday night opener vs. KC, I believe on the first offensive series. He's a fumbler and a candy bone and count myself lucky to not have wasted a draft pick on him.

Adrian Peterson led all RBs in fumbles in both 2008 and 2009 (and epically put the ball on the ground 3 times, though only credited with 2, in the playoff loss at the end of 2009). It was at that point that the Vikings told him it was something that had to get corrected. I view the Mathews situation similarly; he'll get his chance, he's just too talented. Sometimes it takes a clear message before something gets fixed.

Edited by nelsosi

Battle listed as starter per Roto:

The Chargers.com depth chart now lists Jackie Battle as San Diego's first-team tailback, ahead of Ryan Mathews.

Fantasy land loses its mind in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ... We'll give the Chargers this: if this is all part of a message-sending process aimed at Mathews, it's certainly elaborate and bordering on public torment. Mathews was mistake free on 16 touches in Week 4 aside from one dropped pass on an apparent miscommunication with Philip Rivers. In Week 3, his red-zone fumble occurred on the third possession of the game after Mathews missed the previous six weeks with a collarbone fracture. Against the Chiefs last week, Battle was the primary back until the blowout win got out of hand. We'll have more on the Battle-Mathews situation as the week moves forward, but for now the tea leaves suggest this will be a timeshare backfield until something changes, despite a major talent disparity between the two runners.

I have been trying to peddle Mathews in the one league in which I drafted him, but so far the offers are anemic. Luckily I have McGahee and Benson to rotate as RB2s until Mathews produces something. However, I am angry at myself for drafting him, even given the fact that he fell to the fifth round.