[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Crabtree torn achilles

Whiskey Pimp

I really feel bad for Craptree. I was really looking forward to watching him play after the way he emerged last season with Kaepernick. Not in relation to fantasy football or anything else, I just wanted to see him play football!

Well doesn't that paint a different picture. And maybe Boldin does matter....

They won't have the luxury of using Vernon Davis as a blocker every so often.

And Delanie Walker is in Tennessee now. :thinking:

This is a big loss for the Niners. I believe they still have capable receivers ont their team, but he's not completely replaceable. Crabtree was the go-to guy on third downs last year, taking short passes on slants or over the middle and getting great YAC. Boldin has the savvy, hands and toughness to do that but just isn't the threat to run after the catch that Crabtree is and may be easier to jam off the line because opposing DBs don't have to respect his speed the way they do Crabtree's. Perhaps now Kaepernick finally starts looking for Vernon Davis more, which is a good thing overall, but that likely means more downfield throws that aren;t the higher percentage short passes he was throwing to Crabtree for first downs to sustain drives last year. Overall, I think the Niners are going to be ok. Could it affect who wins the NFC West? Absolutely, but the Niners will still be one of the top teams in all of the NFL. IMO, losing Justin Smith like they did last year would hurt them more than losing Crabtree.

I have to wonder too if this makes Vernon Davis less effective because now he will be the focus of every secondary which was why he was so bad last year.

• 4 weeks later...

Per profootballtalk.com

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/19/vernon-davis-practices-exclusively-with-receivers-at-minicamp/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

Vernon Davis practices “exclusively” with receivers at minicamp

Posted by Mike Florio on June 19, 2013, 9:43 AM EDT

When 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh insisted that the replacement for Michael Crabtree (Achilles) would come from the current roster, it was presumed that the replacement would be a receiver.

As it turns out, the Niners could be thinking about using tight end Vernon Davis as a wideout while Crabtree recovers.

According to Grant Cohn of the Santa Rosa Press Democrat, Davis participated “exclusively” as a receiver during the team’s recent mandatory minicamp.

While plenty of tight ends line up in the slot these days, Davis could actually be lining up wide — especially since Anquan Boldin is expected to be San Fran’s primary inside receiver.

Davis, a top-10 draft pick in 2006, ran the 40-yard dash in 4.38 seconds at the Scouting Combine. So he definitely has the speed to play on the outside. He also has the size to fight off press coverage, and to manhandle most cornerbacks who would try to get to the ball before him.