[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Peyton Manning and Cold Weather

TomTheTerrific

Somehow I get the feeling that the Ice Bowl wouldn't have quite the impact in NFL lore if it had been the "Someone Set the AC Fan to Medium Bowl"

That's true, but that wasn't the Super Bowl. Playoff games are subject to regional climate and home field advantage. The Super Bowl is intended to be played on a neutral field.

I'd like to see more SB played outdoors in cold weather, but I'm not expecting it to happen. This is the first one I can recall. I doubt many other cities with new stadiums in cold climates get a chance to host a SB. Of course people tell me they have to bid, need a certain minimum seating, hotel space, etc.

But I still think it is there because it is NY, and the NFL is in NY, and well its NY (except for the game which is actually in NJ).

The only NFC contender that may have trouble is the Saints. Seattle and San Fran can grind it out and play good D.

Yes those two can run the ball more, but they're still playing in the cold. Cold temps affect all players, not just the QB or passing game. SF & SEA play and practice in predominantly warm weather (at least relative to NY in FB).

Going to be interesting SB, I hope there is a heavy snow and high winds during the game.

I'd like to see more SB played outdoors in cold weather, but I'm not expecting it to happen. This is the first one I can recall. I doubt many other cities with new stadiums in cold climates get a chance to host a SB. Of course people tell me they have to bid, need a certain minimum seating, hotel space, etc.

But I still think it is there because it is NY, and the NFL is in NY, and well its NY (except for the game which is actually in NJ).

Yes those two can run the ball more, but they're still playing in the cold. Cold temps affect all players, not just the QB or passing game. SF & SEA play and practice in predominantly warm weather (at least relative to NY in FB).

Going to be interesting SB, I hope there is a heavy snow and high winds during the game.

And again, this is a strong possibility in NY in Feb. This would change the game tremendously. I fail to see how this would make the SB better vs. letting the play on the field on a neutral site decide the game.

• Like 2

And again, this is a strong possibility in NY in Feb. This would change the game tremendously. I fail to see how this would make the SB better vs. letting the play on the field on a neutral site decide the game.

Never said it makes the game better, but if the NFL didn't want to have weather affect the SB they should have never allowed one to be played outdoors in NY/NJ. I want to see the NFL look dumb for making this decision. Of course as I said earlier, no other cold weather outdoor venue has been awarded a SB, heck most won't even bid for one because they knew the NFL will reject it. But NYC gets special treatment, and that isn't right.

• Like 2

Because it is the first one ever.

Never said it makes the game better, but if the NFL didn't want to have weather affect the SB they should have never allowed one to be played outdoors in NY/NJ. I want to see the NFL look dumb for making this decision. Of course as I said earlier, no other cold weather outdoor venue has been awarded a SB, heck most won't even bid for one because they knew the NFL will reject it. But NYC gets special treatment, and that isn't right.

Exactly

Then you've never seen a game in heavy snow.

The SB is premium entertainment. Playing in heavy snow is extremely entertaining.

Plus it would be fun to watch the socialites who sprang for $5000 a ticket scalp it for $100 to some average football loving fan just to make sure their mink coat doesn't get snow on it.

• Like 2

Then you've never seen a game in heavy snow.

The SB is premium entertainment. Playing in heavy snow is extremely entertaining.

Plus it would be fun to watch the socialites who sprang for $5000 a ticket scalp it for $100 to some average football loving fan just to make sure their mink coat doesn't get snow on it.

I can get on board with that...

My thoughts exactly when I read that response. Two days cited had highs of 67. Is this guy from Tucson that he considers that cold weather?

Hell, 37 degrees in NY in February would be an unseasonal heat wave, much less that the team DEN presumably would be facing might have a bit more wherewithal than last year's Chargers.

And FWIW, championships ought to have the elements as an additional factor. This is football, for Pete's sake. No one should be debating whether the thermostat should be set to 69 or. 70 during the game. Some of the classic games in NFL history have featured teams overcoming weather as well as their opponents.

OK, I went back to individual game summaries and found 8 games in the period from 2006-2012 where the temperature was below 40 degrees and there was rain or snow at game time. Here are Peyton's stats for those 8 games:

TD: 22

INT: 10

Completion percent: 71.13 (higher than career average of 65.5 percent)

YPA: 9.12 (higher than career average of 7.68)

QBR: 102.95 (higher than career average of 96.7)

I think Manning has earned a "not a cold weather QB" reputation on the basis of playoff losses on the road in places like New England. These losses have more to do - IMHO - with the struggles of playing on the road than they do with cold or inclement weather.

• Like 1

OK, I went back to individual game summaries and found 8 games in the period from 2006-2012 where the temperature was below 40 degrees and there was rain or snow at game time. Here are Peyton's stats for those 8 games:

TD: 22

INT: 10

Completion percent: 71.13 (higher than career average of 65.5 percent)

YPA: 9.12 (higher than career average of 7.68)

QBR: 102.95 (higher than career average of 96.7)

I think Manning has earned a "not a cold weather QB" reputation on the basis of playoff losses on the road in places like New England. These losses have more to do - IMHO - with the struggles of playing on the road than they do with cold or inclement weather.

Good post. I'd also add those losses has more to do with other parts of the Colts game than Manning. Never liked the whole notion of treating a QB like a pitcher in baseball and assigning the win-loss record to them.

If it's the case where it's not all on Manning but also on the players around him that what do you think about his upcoming schedule against some of the more aggressive defensive fronts/secondaries.

His upcoming schedule (after this week against the Chargers) is as follows: KC, @NE, @KC, TEN, SD, @HOU; with these last three being in the fantasy playoffs. The trade deadline is fast approaching so if a move is going to be made it would have to happen soon. (also to clarify, my original question was more geared toward the performance of his receivers not necessarily Manning himself. Sorry if I wasn't as clear as I could have been.)

Edited by TomTheTerrific

I don't think anyone is claiming Manning sucks. Just that he's not as productive in that colder weather. That 22-10 ratio is pretty damned good, but we've all seen Manning put up much more eye-popping numbers for prolonged stretches when weather is better. It's a matter of relative perspective.

• 3 weeks later...

"There is no chance of precipitation, but Weather.com says it will "feel like" 3-6 degrees throughout Sunday night's game with the windchill factor. Per ESPN Boston's Mike Reiss, Peyton Manning has a career record of 3-7 when the temperature is below 32 degrees at kickoff, with a career TD-to-INT ratio of 11:13."

Do we need to start considering benching manning in <30 degree weather? My team won't be able to survive any matchups like last night in the playoffs... Luckily I had Woodhead and Gordon to bail me out this week.