[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Thoughts on Jordan Matthews?

Flip_Side

I just picked him up at the 8.02 in a draft last night and I am liking him more with every report that Maclin is not looking 100% healthy still. He just posted 9-104 in the Preseason game against the Pats so you know they are looking at him and deciding what they have in him. He was a four-year player at Vanderbilt and set the all-time SEC record for yards and receptions. Ne could do some damage from the slot in that offense but he's still lucky if he performs as an average WR3. That offense loves to run and spread the ball around.

I love Matthews' upside in dynasty and draft only/best ball leagues. Of all the rookies, I'm long Matthews, Adams, A-Rob and of course Watkins. I'm not as high on Evans, Cooks and Lee - at least not for the long term. I also won't be surprised if Cooks and Evans do end up being studs.

What were we talking about again? Oh yeah, Matthews.

Here's a copy/paste of a post I made on another board:

Matthews iswithin a range of metrics and college production that captures many recent elite and proven WRs. He's not a can't miss prospect like Julio and A.J. recently were but he's also not a boom/bust prospect. I think most of us agree Matthews has a high floor, maybe the highest floor in the 2014 class. He's faster than most thought but still not Julio Jones fast. He's tall but lean. His jumps are average. Since his metrics aren't chart toppers, we have to rely more on college production and intangibles.

For me, ultimately I think he's a very high floor WR with good-great upside. I love his college production where he accounted for nearly 50% of all his team's receiving stats. I love his intelligence and work ethic. At pick 6+ in rookie PPRs, he's the perfect WR to draft. He went to a great team for fantasy purposes, assuming Chip remains the coach for a few years and I can't see Matthews being irrelevant in the NFL. His work ethic alone should give him a solid foundation to be a reliable journeyman at worst.

If you examine all the criteria objectively, you realize he excelled at the most important thing (actual games) in a tough conference, he is above average (at worst) to low-level elite in metrics and has a reputation for being a workaholic. It seems obvious that Matthews has nothing but upside with a high floor (minimal risk).

I love Matthews' upside in dynasty and draft only/best ball leagues. Of all the rookies, I'm long Matthews, Adams, A-Rob and of course Watkins. I'm not as high on Evans, Cooks and Lee - at least not for the long term. I also won't be surprised if Cooks and Evans do end up being studs.

What were we talking about again? Oh yeah, Matthews.

Here's a copy/paste of a post I made on another board:

Well stated... right now he might have the best rapport with Foles out of all the WRs because of the injured starters....and he has apparently impressed all camp as well

This would be considered blasphemy by some, but in dynasty, I prefer Matthews to Watkins.

Won't be drafting either in redraft unless they make it to round 15+.

Watkins, Cooks and Benjamin (my BUST pick of this class) - in that order - went within 10 picks of each other in a 12 team FPC ($300K prize) draft I was in last night. Rounds 7/8. Mike Evans went 11 picks after Benjamin in round 9 and Jordan Matthews went in round 11 - Matthews was on my radar but it didn't work out for me. Meanwhile, I was grabbing Edelman, Amendola and Greg Jennings in rounds 7, 9 & 13 and Mike Williams/Ryan Broyles in the final rounds.

As much as I get into rookies for dynasty purposes, it's important in redrafts to keep perspective on rookie WRs. You can almost guarantee 1 or 2 rookies will be relevant this season, but guessing who is the tough part. And by relevant, you're lucky if the 1 or 2 breakouts get you 800/8 - that would actually be a great year by comparison. So, while I have rolled the dice on Watkins in a big money draft or two, I'd much prefer to pass on all the big name rookie WRs and grab John Brown in the last round. He has as good a chance as any of them to step up big this season.

I just picked him up at the 8.02 in a draft last night and I am liking him more with every report that Maclin is not looking 100% healthy still. He just posted 9-104 in the Preseason game against the Pats so you know they are looking at him and deciding what they have in him. He was a four-year player at Vanderbilt and set the all-time SEC record for yards and receptions. Ne could do some damage from the slot in that offense but he's still lucky if he performs as an average WR3. That offense loves to run and spread the ball around.

Followed your lead.

Edited by rajncajn

I'm probably going to get roasted for saying this, but I'm going to say it and stand by it. I expect a significant decrease in the Eagles' passing game this year. Yeah, yeah, Chip Kelly's system , blah, blah, blah... It's not going to surprise anyone this year. Foles isn't going to repeat last year's 119 passer rating, or even close imo. They are really going to miss DJax, because no one else can take the top of the defense like he can and *maybe* only a healthy Maclin would scare defenses enough to warrant a double team. Riley Cooper is not going off for 17+ YPC again. I can see their running game being as good as last year, and of all their receivers I'd draft Ertz way above anyone else, simply because every other receiver has questions marks. I love Matthews but am tempering my expectations because he's a rookie, but if Maclin and Cooper disappoint early, I would not be surprised to see him become Foles' favorite target and put up a Keenan Allen'esque rookie season either.

I'm probably going to get roasted for saying this, but I'm going to say it and stand by it. I expect a significant decrease in the Eagles' passing game this year. Yeah, yeah, Chip Kelly's system , blah, blah, blah... It's not going to surprise anyone this year. Foles isn't going to repeat last year's 119 passer rating, or even close imo. They are really going to miss DJax, because no one else can take the top of the defense like he can and *maybe* only a healthy Maclin would scare defenses enough to warrant a double team. Riley Cooper is not going off for 17+ YPC again. I can see their running game being as good as last year, and of all their receivers I'd draft Ertz way above anyone else, simply because every other receiver has questions marks. I love Matthews but am tempering my expectations because he's a rookie, but if Maclin and Cooper disappoint early, I would not be surprised to see him become Foles' favorite target and put up a Keenan Allen'esque rookie season either.

I agree with you...I think the Eagles start off very bumpy. ..Foles doesn't have much of a rapport with the WRs....his most reliable options are Celek and Ertz...and Ertz might be legit....same goes for Matthews. ..but Foles will come down to earth and still maybe post 34 TD 14 INT...

I agree with you...I think the Eagles start off very bumpy. ..Foles doesn't have much of a rapport with the WRs....his most reliable options are Celek and Ertz...and Ertz might be legit....same goes for Matthews. ..but Foles will come down to earth and still maybe post 34 TD 14 INT...

While foles will inevitably regress a tad, I think chip Kelly has certainly earned giving him the benefit of the doubt. The guy was doubted before week 1. The offense had early success and all the doubters claimed defenses would figure it out.

They definitely hit a rough patch last year for a few games early on, but it seems as if Kelly was and will be one step ahead. Most felt Vick was the model qb for his system, yet he made a stud out of foles. Certainly a small sample size but I'm definitely more glass half full on their offense.

I'm am eagles fan. Some may take this as a homer view, but like most eagles fans I'm usually expecting the worst at all times...

While foles will inevitably regress a tad, I think chip Kelly has certainly earned giving him the benefit of the doubt. The guy was doubted before week 1. The offense had early success and all the doubters claimed defenses would figure it out.

They definitely hit a rough patch last year for a few games early on, but it seems as if Kelly was and will be one step ahead. Most felt Vick was the model qb for his system, yet he made a stud out of foles. Certainly a small sample size but I'm definitely more glass half full on their offense.

I'm am eagles fan. Some may take this as a homer view, but like most eagles fans I'm usually expecting the worst at all times...

Same here. .I am an eagles fan. ..I just look at the schedule and think they come out to around .500 until around week 12 and then go on a run after that