[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cardale Jones is staying at OSU for another year

Wolverines Fan

http://www.cleveland...tml#incart_2box

Now to see how 2015 season plays out for the OSU QBs.

Still think he looked more NFL ready than Mariota (but I only saw them play in the playoff games).

+1

A very smart move IMO. His projected draft grade of a mid 2nd to mid 3rd was, and is, lofty at best. The first pick in the 2nd round signed on for $4M….1st pick of the 3rd round you ask? $700k. Give him another year of experience, more games to evaluate and he could shoot up to the top half of the 1st round next year if he doesn't fall flat on his face. That, is the gamble. Whats the difference between the top half of the 1st and where pundits are projecting him this year? Oh….about $14M. But having only a microscopic amount of game experience to properly evaluate him is just plain insanity to enter the draft with.

Give him another year of experience, more games to evaluate and he could shoot up to the top half of the 1st round next year if he doesn't fall flat on his face.

The only problem is that his starting job is nowhere near locked up....OSU has an embarrassment of riches at the QB position. Jones won the conference championship and both playoff games. Barrett got them there, and was definitely in the mix for the Heisman before he got hurt. Miller led them to a 12-0 record last year, and was a Heisman favorite coming into the season. I think Miller will transfer, but that still leaves Barrett for Jones to beat out. A very interesting position battle has shaped up for the offseason.

Yup, he can transfer and still play next season, whereas I believe Jones and Barrett would have to sit out a year if they transferred. There's some talk about him going to FSU to fill the void left by Winston, or to Oregon to try and pick up where Mariota left off.

Is Barrett even a given to be completely healthy by next summer? Sure, the timeline for his type of injury makes it seem like he's going to be healthy, but he's younger than Cardale, and the Buckeyes could just redshirt Barrett in theory and let Cardale play out next season, assuming he'd go pro at that point. A lot of "what ifs". I'm sure a lot of college programs wish they had a problem like this.

Also, I wish I'd have laid a $20 on the Buckeyes to win it all after the Braxton Miller injury... Hindsight...

you only missed 1 start :lol:

Of Jones yes, but not Mariota, and I was expecting to be asked "you ever watch Oregon play", so I felt it necessary to qualify my opinion. I'm a bit OCD.

Going to be interesting for sure. Am I correct that Barret was a Myer recruit while Jones was not? Does that play into why Barrett took over for Miller, and could it also play into who starts next year? Might they do a 2 QB rotation (assuming Miller leaves)?

Edited by stevegrab

Of Jones yes, but not Mariota, and I was expecting to be asked "you ever watch Oregon play", so I felt it necessary to qualify my opinion. I'm a bit OCD.

Going to be interesting for sure. Am I correct that Barret was a Myer recruit while Jones was not? Does that play into why Barrett took over for Miller, and could it also play into who starts next year? Might they do a 2 QB rotation (assuming Miller leaves)?

stop it

Jones is a Jamarcus Russell Clone in every way