[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Safe to drop Bell now?

DemonKnight

Broncos: Backfield rotation working well

10/07/05 12:22 PM

THE NEWS

Broncos offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak agreed with the assessment that the Denver backfield is a committee chaired by starter Mike Anderson. "I think it's going to be that way all year," he told the Denver Post. "All three [backs] are going to play. But as long as Mike's getting the job done and he's fresh, he's going to stay on the field. As we get going, a lot of times the guy with the hot hand will stay on the field."

Our View

Anderson has two consecutive strong outings, but Tatum Bell has also piled up 20 carries in the last two weeks and Ron Dayne has seen a few touches. This rotation is all well and good when the Broncos are piling up 400 rushing yards in two games; there's plenty to go around. But because that's not likely to continue, fantasy owners shouldn't expect this to be the last time they hear about the roles in this committee.

I'd hold him. My take is Anderson is the starter and will see 20-22 carries a game. Whatever is left over will mostly go to Bell. If they run 30 times my bet is 22 or so to Anderson and 8 or so to Bell. Last week they had like 40 runs so Bell got 15 carries. At any rate I'd hang on in case Anderson goes down.

As a Bronco fan it hurts me to say this, but I don't think Bell's going to produce this year. He's probably worth keeping as the handcuff to Anderson, but even if Anderson goes out, Bell's probably going to be thrown into competition with Dayne for teh starting role. Keep in mind that they started Bell this season and he couldn't move the ball. They went back to Anderson, and things began to move.

Stash him if you can, but I would look to trade him.

But even if Anderson goes out, Bell's probably going to be thrown into competition with Dayne for the starting role.  Keep in mind that they started Bell this season and he couldn't move the ball.

1050653[/snapback]

here's the wisdom in this thread. holding bell is like holding any other long shot out there that may get some playing time IF something happens. hell, the waiver wire is full of these guys. if you think bell is at the top of the "what if?" list, then by all means burn a spot for him.

personally, he's nowhere near the top of my list ...

tony