[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Massive MMA News! Couture quits, Mark Cuban is in

Sleeping King

This week has been absolutely nuts for the MMA world. First the consensus #1 fighter in the world Fedor Emelianenko turns down the UFC to sign with M-1. M-1 is/was a russian based fighting company. It has been rumored that they were bought out by an American. Well today it turns out that the American is none other than Mark Cuban. Cuban wants to really push MMA for his tv network HDNet.

Then news broke today that Randy Couture faxed his letter of resignation to Dana White and Zuffa Entertainment. He wanted one more big fight and it was supposed to be with Fedor. Dana White screwed the deal up with Fedor by telling him that he would not be allowed to fight in any Sambo competitions if he signed with the UFC. When Fedor was in Pride he still did Sambo.

Couture will have to stay out of competition for 9 months when his contract with the UFC expires. Not only did he leave the UFC as a fighter but also as an analyst.

As a massive Fedor and Couture fan I am actually very happy with the outcome. Dana played too many games with Fedor's camp and he finally was called on it. Now it is almost certain that in 9 months we get the superfight to beat all superfights. And we get it while Randy is still at the top.

My respect level for Dana goes down each day. He made a total wreck out of the Chuck Liddell-Vanderlei Silva fight. Now we will likely never see it. The way he handled Mirko Cro Crop was wrong too. He should have fought for the title in his first fight. Now with two losses he has no PPV buy strength.

I have six businesses to run (I'm here at the office now), three kids and a great wife. I have not seen more than about two games of NFL football this year spread out of the first five weeks (and that includes the entire KC / MIN game I went to at Arrowhead a couple of weeks ago). I will be doing good if I will end up averaging watching a game a weekend. I do not have time for things that are not already right in front of me.

So, no ... I have no idea who these guys are.

Thanks for helping me out, though... :D

I have six businesses to run (I'm here at the office now), three kids and a great wife. I have not seen more than about two games of NFL football this year spread out of the first five weeks (and that includes the entire KC / MIN game I went to at Arrowhead a couple of weeks ago). I will be doing good if I will end up averaging watching a game a weekend. I do not have time for things that are not already right in front of me.

?

what? then why come in the thread in the first place. You don't have time to check out, or don't know who a UFC fighter is.........but take the time to explain how busy you are?? lame

Yea- King- I am with ya- it is big news and I have been waiting to see Fedor fight- and especially him fighting Couture! I had no idea Cuban was getting in the mix. MMA is gonna be hugh, and a guy like Cuban pushing it can only help in the long run. The sport is really taking off- and with the decline in marquee boxers- it may make boxing completely obsolete sooner rather than later.

In the amount of time it took for you to write that you could have watched a fight. Google video has tons of them. I'm sure you have some down time when the kids are asleep and the wife does not want to look at you. :D It is a great sport.

?

what? then why come in the thread in the first place. You don't have time to check out, or don't know who a UFC fighter is.........but take the time to explain how busy you are?? lame

Yea- King- I am with ya- it is big news and I have been waiting to see Fedor fight- and especially him fighting Couture! I had no idea Cuban was getting in the mix. MMA is gonna be hugh, and a guy like Cuban pushing it can only help in the long run. The sport is really taking off- and with the decline in marquee boxers- it may make boxing completely obsolete sooner rather than later.

Yep, if Cuban gets serious he can take MMA to a new level. He has the money to go head to head with the UFC if he wanted to. Zuffa has chump change next to Cuban. I am just curious to see if this is him wanting to get into MMA or is this simply a way to get HDNet into more homes.

I am a life long boxing fan too but like most it is a waning interest. Boxing PPV numbers are still very strong. Most try to compare MMA PPV buys to Boxing PPV buys but I do not see it as valid. 99% of live MMA fights are on PPV where you can see live boxing fights at least two times a week.

I agree with you SK MMA fighting is the way fighting should be! I used to love boxing but now there are way to many prima donna's that talk tough but don't back it up. In MMA, when the fighters say they are going to rip your heart out and eat your children, they actually mean it!

Fedor would DESTROY Randy....... could be very ugly-

Fedor looks like the baddest MF on the planet to me.

My brain says that Fedor would hurt Couture so bad that he would not be able to fight again. But Couture has proven time and time again not to count him out. One huge advantage Fedor will have is that M-1 fights are in a ring not a cage. Couture can not take him down and push him against the cage. In a ring once you go under the ropes they reset you back in the same position but in the middle of the ring.

They have MMA programming on it now. Inside MMA is a regular show hosted by Bas Rutten. They also have Friday Fight Night which has a mix of MMA and boxing.

I have no idea how Cuban will go about broadcasting more MMA. I know he was extremely interested in it for his network. There was even a story that he went to Vince McMahon (WWE) to seek advice on how to promote his product.

Fedor would DESTROY Randy....... could be very ugly-

Fedor looks like the baddest MF on the planet to me.

"Enter name here" would DESTROY Randy-We ahve been hearing that for a while. I would not bet against the guy until he loses again after the last couple of fights.

Dana White is finding out that there is such a thing as being too confident. Other organizations are rising...not to the extent of UFC but it is giving fighters options as to where to go. EliteXC has been grabbing fighters and pulling in some viewers on Showtime. Once they get rid of Bill Goldberg as a commentator and get an MMA fighter they will be even better.

The ring vs. the cage...stopping a fight because the fighters get on the ropes and starting them over is the biggest flaw. I hate it. I don't think that would effect Couture too much. He has a "little bit" of a wrestling background and they stop the fight if you go off the mat too.

Edited by CarryTheRock