[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Undefeated teams

muck

We will have at least two, and, if CIN wins their bowl game, three undefeated teams when its all said and done.

I was just thinking that if (say) CIN gets beaten by FL that FL would probably be #2 in the final poll, in front of the TCU / Boise State winner (esp. if Boise State beats TCU).

...just musing...

I really don't like the BCS. :puke:

We will have at least two, and, if CIN wins their bowl game, three undefeated teams when its all said and done.

I was just thinking that if (say) CIN gets beaten by FL that FL would probably be #2 in the final poll, in front of the TCU / Boise State winner (esp. if Boise State beats TCU).

...just musing...

I really don't like the BCS. :puke:

If all of the above happen UF would be #3 at best as BAMA will have a loss and will have beaten UF H2H.....so it would be:

Texas

Bama

UF

If all of the above happen UF would be #3 at best as BAMA will have a loss and will have beaten UF H2H.....so it would be:

Texas

Bama

UF

Not necessarily, remember last year Texas beat OU, both teams had one loss at the end of conference regular season, and the BCS put OU ahead of Texas.

There's an interesting trend and I wonder what it says about the faith in the BCS among voters. Up until a few years ago, the loser of the BCS tended to get voted #2. The times it didn't happen they only fell to #3 and there was good reason, like the year that Auburn ended up undefeated (though they still voted a OU team that got completely pummeled in the BCS NC game ahead of undefeated Utah). However, for the last two years, the loser has dropped all the way to #5.

I only noticed this because I was about to post that it seems like the loser never/rarely drops below #2 and figured I'd better double check. Apparently I was right, well, at least I was right a few years ago.

This may seem like a minor issue but it does represent a chink in the armor. After all, if we are confident that the BCS is providing us with the two best teams in the country battling it out for all the marbles, why wouldn't the winner automatically be #1 and the loser be #2?

Well #2 Notre Dame beats #1 Florida State in the "Game of the Century" late in the year. A game that was hyped up for what seemed like ever. Keep in mind, the 93' Seminoles were dubbed as the greatest team ever before the season started. ND beats them in South Bend, but loses the next week against Boston College. Notre Dame heads to the Cotton Bowl and beats Texas A & M, while Florida State struggles and gets outplayed by Nebraska in the Orange Bowl, but manages a very very ugly 18-16 victory. But because the pollsters had the biggest hardon ever for that FSU team, they get ranked #1 despite losing head to head to Notre Dame. I'm not a Notre Dame sympathizer by any means, but that was a classic case of the pollsters so arrogant and not wanting to be wrong, that they did the wrong thing. But the bottom line is, head to head doesn't mean anything to these jacka$$es. 1993 finished with four 1 loss teams, two teams with 1 loss and a tie, and 1 undefeated team. See if you can figure this one out...

1. FSU 12-1 beats Nebraska in the Orange Bowl, were annointed as the greatest team ever before the season even started (similar to the 05' USC Trojans). They lost to #2 Notre Dame on November 13th in what was hyped for several months as the "game of the century"

2. Notre Dame 11-1 beat #1 FSU in said "game of the century" but lost to #17 Boston College the next week. Won the Cotton Bowl vs the Aggies.

3. Nebraska 11-1 only loss was in the Orange Bowl vs #1 FSU. This was the team that set the stage for a very impressive 5 year run for Nebraska where they only lost 3 games

4. Auburn 11-0 only undefeated team... buuuuuuut, on probation. Hard too really take them seriously

5. Florida 11-2 SEC Champions (though they lost to Auburn) but completely throttled an undefeated (and certainly overrated) West Virginia in the Sugar Bowl 41-7

6. Wisconsin 10-1-1 Big Ten Champions, and Rose Bowl Champions

7. West Virginia 11-1 Claim to fame was beating Boston College the week after BC shocked Notre Dame. Got exposed badly by Florida

Ohio State was the other 10-1-1 team. Based on those rankings, the Irish pretty much got screwed as far as I'm concerned.

It's why on College Football Final, you're almost guaranteed to get a 1993 reference from Holtz, or Mark May on a weekly basis. In fact Holtz said after the final polls came out in early 1994 something to the effect of "I guess it's only the game of the century if the right team wins" And he's pretty much correct. FSU was the media darlings in 1993. They were very good, and Charlie Ward was so fun to watch, but they got beat head to head, simple as that.

I guess one could argue that it's worse to lose to the #17 team in the country than the #1 or #2 team in the country. Arguably, Nebraska should have been #2 behind FSU and in front of ND.

:wacko:

Thanks for the history lesson. :D

Edited by muck

I guess one could argue that it's worse to lose to the #17 team in the country than the #1 or #2 team in the country. Arguably, Nebraska should have been #2 behind FSU and in front of ND.

:wacko:

Thanks for the history lesson. :D

I guess, we do live in an age that a Quality Loss is worth more than a Quality Win. Reward mediocrity.