[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

mcgwire finally comes clean

dmarc117

Wonder if this had anything to do with his return to "baseball", and the non-support he was getting in the HOF voting. Thinking maybe over time voters may become more forgiving.

if he plays at all this year, it re-sets the clock on his HOF chances (if you go a certain number of years without getting in, you lose your chance). and they figure this sort of contrived mea culpa is necessary if he hopes anyone will ever view him favorably enough to vote him in. so this is all about him and larussa trying to get him in the HOF.

which just puts him in the long list of dirtbag cheater athletes who only "come clean" when they figure it's in their interests to do so. I say f*ck him.

Law enforcement, and they have since the 70's.

Pope is right on with his answers in this thread and I agree 100 percent

as soon as someone tries to use the angle that steroids were not banned during Mcgwire , sossa and Bonds playing days i cringe

total nonsense

Edited by isleseeya

The difference is that law enforcement polices murder, so there is no reason to have it in the rule book. Up until recently, who policed the use of steroids? Major League Baseball did nothing to try to stop the use of steroids for years. I wonder why...

Actually didnt Sly Stallone get in trouble for transporting HGH a couple years ago? Like it was against the LAW??

Pope is right on with his answers in this thread and I agree 100 percent

as soon as someone tries to use the angle that steroids were not banned during Mcgwire , sossa and Bonds playing days i cringe

total nonsense

So because using steroids is against the law, and even though there had been a known (albeit small) culture of its use in MLB, you don't think MLB should have policed itself prior to this point? I'm not trying to defend these players. I agree. They are cheaters. But I think MLB is getting what it deserves now for not doing the right thing when the powers that be should have nipped it in the bud before all of this. Why wouldn't they want to protect their business? But I'm sure they loved all of the extra fans that started tuning in, then buying tickets, spamshirts, etc. when these cheaters were chasing history.

So because using steroids is against the law, and even though there had been a known (albeit small) culture of its use in MLB, you don't think MLB should have policed itself prior to this point? I'm not trying to defend these players. I agree. They are cheaters. But I think MLB is getting what it deserves now for not doing the right thing when the powers that be should have nipped it in the bud before all of this. Why wouldn't they want to protect their business? But I'm sure they loved all of the extra fans that started tuning in, then buying tickets, spamshirts, etc. when these cheaters were chasing history.

You'll get no argument from me on any of this. Bud Selig is as crooked a POS as there is running a major sport (with Stern not far behind) and Donald Fehr is pretty much as bad.

Keep in mind too, though that the NFL RIGHT NOW is full of HGH, and you should apply your logic to that as well.

I know it was mentioned, but the union was just as much fault here, as was MLB. They did not want more restrictions and tests put on their players, hell it was helping them make a ton more money....and the fans loved it. I remember hearing Tim Salmon voice his opinion to the union about wanting more tests done, because he was often injured and I take by him asking for testing never took part in using. Salmon was a very good player until the injuries caught up with him......he for one could have benefited from use as well, just my opinion.

the thing that amazes me is that he says steroids had no effect on his numbers! :wacko::D

Keep in mind that the dude nearly hit 50 his rookie year, so it's not as if he went from being Bonds Pre Juice to Bonds post juice.

He had serious issues with his back that would have cost him his career, and I've long argued that juicing will not help your hand eye cordination with hitting the ball.

We can all sit on our high horses, but I can assure you that 99% of the board would do the same thing. If it was between you living your dream, doing what you love, and making millions, but to continue to do so you would have to juice...

I think if people were honest with themselves they would understand why he did it.

I also find it hughmorous that in 98 he was loved by every sports writer on the planet, then a decade later, they would turn on him and consider him the scum of the earth. Bottom line is that if you trash him now, you better have trashed him in 98. And I don't want to hear any non-sense about not knowing he, Canseco and especially Bonds and Sosa were juicing. The fact is that at the start of the 98 season, baseball was slumping. Then steroids saved it. McGwire and Sosa captured the attention of the world and put it on baseball for the first time in years.

Keep in mind that the dude nearly hit 50 his rookie year, so it's not as if he went from being Bonds Pre Juice to Bonds post juice.

He had serious issues with his back that would have cost him his career, and I've long argued that juicing will not help your hand eye cordination with hitting the ball.

We can all sit on our high horses, but I can assure you that 99% of the board would do the same thing. If it was between you living your dream, doing what you love, and making millions, but to continue to do so you would have to juice...

I think if people were honest with themselves they would understand why he did it.

I also find it hughmorous that in 98 he was loved by every sports writer on the planet, then a decade later, they would turn on him and consider him the scum of the earth. Bottom line is that if you trash him now, you better have trashed him in 98. And I don't want to hear any non-sense about not knowing he, Canseco and especially Bonds and Sosa were juicing. The fact is that at the start of the 98 season, baseball was slumping. Then steroids saved it. McGwire and Sosa captured the attention of the world and put it on baseball for the first time in years.

First . . I really dont give a crap about baseball, beyong rooting for the Brewers and hating teh Cubs.

Second . . . this post nicely sums up the entire picture of baseball from 98 to present. Well said! :wacko:

I also find it hughmorous that in 98 he was loved by every sports writer on the planet, then a decade later, they would turn on him and consider him the scum of the earth. Bottom line is that if you trash him now, you better have trashed him in 98. And I don't want to hear any non-sense about not knowing he, Canseco and especially Bonds and Sosa were juicing.

I dunno. from what I can recall, at the time, there wasn't much discussion of steroids in baseball, and those few people who DID raise it were usually dismissed with a well-rehearsed story-line about how it wouldn't be beneficial in baseball, etc. I also recall a lot of talk about mac and creatine and working out and such. it was a gradual coming to light thing between the mid 90s when most everyone was in the dark, and the mid 00s when everything blew up. was there some willful ignorance involved? no doubt, especially from all the reporters and commentators and beat writers and such with a vested interest. but I think even a lot of the other PLAYERS were unaware back in 1998. maybe there were some whispers, but that's about it. to talk about how obvious it all was, well I think that is just hindsight talking.

I dunno. from what I can recall, at the time, there wasn't much discussion of steroids in baseball, and those few people who DID raise it were usually dismissed with a well-rehearsed story-line about how it wouldn't be beneficial in baseball, etc. I also recall a lot of talk about mac and creatine and working out and such. it was a gradual coming to light thing between the mid 90s when most everyone was in the dark, and the mid 00s when everything blew up. was there some willful ignorance involved? no doubt, especially from all the reporters and commentators and beat writers and such with a vested interest. but I think even a lot of the other PLAYERS were unaware back in 1998. maybe there were some whispers, but that's about it. to talk about how obvious it all was, well I think that is just hindsight talking.

It wasn't creatine, it was Andro, which is a precurser to steroids, and he openly admitted to using those at the time. And it's not hindsight, my friend and I were diehard baseball fans, and his favorite player was Barry Bonds. Around that same time he was looking into Andro and other things. We discussed how much bigger Bonds and Sosa got, and at least everyone I knew could see those guys morphed there bodies from slender to jacked. You can say hindsight talking from me, but I see post like yours as a bit naive. How could you not see it?

if you make to the majors, you have the eye/hand coord already. anything to make that swing a split second faster helps. steroids do that.