[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

mcgwire finally comes clean

dmarc117

"Now that I have become the hitting coach for the St. Louis Cardinals, I have the chance to do something that I wish I was able to do five years ago.

I never knew when, but I always knew this day would come. It's time for me to talk about the past and to confirm what people have suspected. I used steroids during my playing career and I apologize. I remember trying steroids very briefly in the 1989/1990 off season and then after I was injured in 1993, I used steroids again. I used them on occasion throughout the '90s, including during the 1998 season.

I wish I had never touched steroids. It was foolish and it was a mistake. I truly apologize. Looking back, I wish I had never played during the steroid era.

During the mid-'90s, I went on the DL seven times and missed 228 games over five years. I experienced a lot of injuries, including a ribcage strain, a torn left heel muscle, a stress fracture of the left heel, and a torn right heel muscle. It was definitely a miserable bunch of years and I told myself that steroids could help me recover faster. I thought they would help me heal and prevent injuries, too.

I'm sure people will wonder if I could have hit all those home runs had I never taken steroids. I had good years when I didn't take any and I had bad years when I didn't take any. I had good years when I took steroids and I had bad years when I took steroids. But no matter what, I shouldn't have done it and for that I'm truly sorry.

Baseball is really different now - it's been cleaned up. The commissioner and the players' association implemented testing and they cracked down, and I'm glad they did.

I'm grateful to the Cardinals for bringing me back to baseball. I want to say thank you to Cardinals owner Mr. DeWitt, to my GM, John Mozeliak, and to my manager, Tony La Russa. I can't wait to put the uniform on again and to be back on the field in front of the great fans in Saint Louis. I've always appreciated their support and I intend to earn it again, this time as hitting coach. I'm going to pour myself into this job and do everything I can to help the Cardinals hitters become the best players for years to come.

After all this time, I want to come clean. I was not in a position to do that five years ago in my congressional testimony, but now I feel an obligation to discuss this and to answer questions about it. I'll do that, and then I just want to help my team."

:wacko:

He didn't ever have to admit to anything. I doubt the money he is making as a hitting instructor is crucial to his future. While I won't give him or any of the others a free pass on the steroid issue I will say I have a bit more respect for someone who can admit the mistakes that were made publicly.

He didn't ever have to admit to anything. I doubt the money he is making as a hitting instructor is crucial to his future. While I won't give him or any of the others a free pass on the steroid issue I will say I have a bit more respect for someone who can admit the mistakes that were made publicly.

he is planning on "possibly" playing in a limited role next year as a player/coach for the Cardinals on their playoff roster. I bet it was to defuse attention from him coaching the cards if he comes out NOW and gets it over with before the season starts . . .

Is this where we're supposed to call him "stand up"? I'll pass.

+2

Wonder if this had anything to do with his return to "baseball", and the non-support he was getting in the HOF voting. Thinking maybe over time voters may become more forgiving.

+1

Wonder if this had anything to do with his return to "baseball", and the non-support he was getting in the HOF voting. Thinking maybe over time voters may become more forgiving.

Kind of what I was thinking. That and maybe LaRussa sat him down, you know, even though he didn't know anything, and said, "Look, you gotta come clean at some point, it is pretty obvious."

Some things he is saying just doesn't add up. He used strictly because of an injury, yes I agree he was hurt allot during his career, but I also think he got that comment from Pettitte looking for some sympathy. He played in 155 games in 1998 when he hit 70 HR's, so he must not have been hurt too bad that season. He never did it to cheat.....sorry, lost me there. He blames the era and blames he was not tested because then he would not have used (that is what I took from the conversation). Ok, so there has never been an athlete who KNEW he was going to be tested (for whatever drug) and failed???? Happens all the time, I think this situation has been coached. Does he have info on other players? Did he ever chat with Sosa, or Bonds about this. You know Bonds saw McWire and Sosa getting all the press for their run in 1998, and neither of them weren't half the player he was, I believe this is why he got into it. (Now, I am a Bonds hater, but this is how I believe it began). Also McGwire was one of the first to "explode" with his use, he helped caused (IMO) many more players using after him.

LaRussa makes me sick with his comments. For years he stated he did not know and defended him (that was fine, was his choice), now he states how credible McGwire is for coming clean that he used only for injury sake. Then he talks about how he (McGwire) was wrong and put one over on everyone, but he excluded himself with this comment, which to me, states he did know about the use.

McGwire stated NO ONE KNEW, family, team mates, etc....again he lost me here, someone had to know.

He wanted to talk during the Congressional hearing but was given not immunity, so I understand more of his comments and disposition back then.....however, the Statute of Limitations (or Statue of Limitations according to Kramer) was up in 2006 or 2007 (I believe), why did he not come forward then? I believe it was because he was out of baseball and awaiting HOF information. He now is back in baseball and knows where his HOF chances are.....I guess a writer from ESPN (not sure, did not catch name) is now stating he will indeed vote for him....so he is now one vote closer.

Don't want to get into the whole conversation of all "users" re: HOF or not, seperate issue, but some comments just did not sit right with me.

As a Cards fan living in STL, I personally don't care whether he, Clemens, Bonds or Joe Schmoe used steroids.

Am I the only one who remembers the old Tom Glavine and Greg Maddux commercial - "chicks dig the long ball". I know this is preach-y, but we've all contributed to this.

How many of us were influenced by the "Jordan effect" with McGwire - i.e. I would pretty much always stop what I was doing and watch his at-bat, the same way I would stop what I was doing when Jordan had the ball in his hands at the top of the key.

But... he took steroids. As my friend so eloquently responded to me - "great, next we'll find out that Barry Bonds is black".

"Well I never would have cheered for him if I knew he was on steroids." Really?? Really? Really. OK. Sure. You had NO clue he was on 'roids back then. Wow. Watch your wallet when you go into the "big city".

IMO, he does not have to apologize, come clean, or whatever (nor Clemens, nor Bonds, etc). Personally, I say, give the athletes a choice. They are adults (in theory at least). They know the potential repercussions for taking them. And then we, the bloodthirsty fans, get what we want - bigger, stronger, faster players who hit the ball farther, hit each other harder, and are bigger and more powerful.

Use them in the way they should - to help the athletes we love so much get better quicker. Manage it properly rather than in back rooms where who-knows-what happens. Us "regular" people take steroids when we have an inflammation, get a sinus infection like I had a couple of years ago, etc... so why not them?

No... don't allow them to live on them, but rather to help them as they all claim to want from using it in the first place. Medicine has changed over the last 10 years, much less 50 years or 100 years. Why not?

As a Cards fan living in STL, I personally don't care whether he, Clemens, Bonds or Joe Schmoe used steroids.

Am I the only one who remembers the old Tom Glavine and Greg Maddux commercial - "chicks dig the long ball". I know this is preach-y, but we've all contributed to this.

How many of us were influenced by the "Jordan effect" with McGwire - i.e. I would pretty much always stop what I was doing and watch his at-bat, the same way I would stop what I was doing when Jordan had the ball in his hands at the top of the key.

But... he took steroids. As my friend so eloquently responded to me - "great, next we'll find out that Barry Bonds is black".

"Well I never would have cheered for him if I knew he was on steroids." Really?? Really? Really. OK. Sure. You had NO clue he was on 'roids back then. Wow. Watch your wallet when you go into the "big city".

IMO, he does not have to apologize, come clean, or whatever (nor Clemens, nor Bonds, etc). Personally, I say, give the athletes a choice. They are adults (in theory at least). They know the potential repercussions for taking them. And then we, the bloodthirsty fans, get what we want - bigger, stronger, faster players who hit the ball farther, hit each other harder, and are bigger and more powerful.

Use them in the way they should - to help the athletes we love so much get better quicker. Manage it properly rather than in back rooms where who-knows-what happens. Us "regular" people take steroids when we have an inflammation, get a sinus infection like I had a couple of years ago, etc... so why not them?

No... don't allow them to live on them, but rather to help them as they all claim to want from using it in the first place. Medicine has changed over the last 10 years, much less 50 years or 100 years. Why not?

Pure ignorance, and a pretty lame attempt at defending these guys.

I played in the minors for four years and got as high as AA, meaning there were two guys in front of me, keeping me from going to the show. Both ended up eventually testing positive for steroids. Steroid users with subpar talent rip out the dreams and accomplishments of the honest. Our home run records are jokes, and you're trying to tell me thats okay too? More than a few times I considered shooting Barry Bonds so he wouldn't catch Aaron. Not all of us were naive, and cheered for Mac and Sosa. It was a disgrace to the game and Americans then, and it is a disgrace to the game and Americans now. What's even sicker is the people that try to justify it. If they want to use steroids, start a league in a different country where they are legal. We can run it like race cars----stocks & modifieds. There is no place in Ameirica's game for cheaters.

The fact that neither baseball or football aggressivly test for HGH at this point is mind-blowing and downright depressing.

Nicely put LennyK.....that arguement is such a different debate, but I know where you are coming from. I just think everyone who comes "clean" is only going to do it when they have something to benefit from doing so. If you did it, ok, move on, but these "the dog ate my homework" responses don't cut it with me. Come out and say you used (this is not just for McGwire), I got rich, it made me famous and I gave back to what baseball wanted. This is when I can respect what they say. I don't have to agree on this debate, but just say what happened. These guys are ego driven, so it may be tough for them to come forward and be totally honest.

Let me clarify what I thought Lenny K sated that I think was nicely put....it was the fact that baseball wanted this....and they knew what was going on. Again, not agreeing with what they did and how it was okay, but I understand what was said about the fans wanting this.

Seahawks, that is the other side of the arguement I was think of as well......nicely put on your part too.

There was so much that came of his actions, it effected so many athletes.

Pure ignorance, and a pretty lame attempt at defending these guys.

I played in the minors for four years and got as high as AA, meaning there were two guys in front of me, keeping me from going to the show. Both ended up eventually testing positive for steroids. Steroid users with subpar talent rip out the dreams and accomplishments of the honest. Our home run records are jokes, and you're trying to tell me thats okay too? More than a few times I considered shooting Barry Bonds so he wouldn't catch Aaron. Not all of us were naive, and cheered for Mac and Sosa. It was a disgrace to the game and Americans then, and it is a disgrace to the game and Americans now. What's even sicker is the people that try to justify it. If they want to use steroids, start a league in a different country where they are legal. We can run it like race cars----stocks & modifieds. There is no place in Ameirica's game for cheaters.

The fact that neither baseball or football aggressivly test for HGH at this point is mind-blowing and downright depressing.

Personally, I don't feel I am being ignorant. As a former athlete myself, I understand where you are coming from. However, from an entertainment standpoint (which is what it is), why not let the best of the best be their best?

Steroids CAN be effective if managed properly. At one point, somebody was thought of being crazy when they told somebody "we're going to inject you with this virus, and your body will fight it and make you immune to rubella".

"Yeah, but that is to fight disease, not cheat somebody out of their living/job." Not true. What about the companies who made rubella-related products? What about their jobs? If people don't get sick, doctors and nurses will be out of work. (Grossly overstated, yes - but my point is made.)

And as a matter of fact, as a fan, why would I not want something that will enhance my entertainment dollar. Home runs more mammoth, bone-jarring hits more bone-jarring...

Seahawk... not meaning to start a fight or anything, nor disrespect. As I said, I understand your POV.

Quite frankly, I am done with caring about whether or not somebody used steroids or whatever. In the end, they will sacrifice their liver/kidneys/etc for whatever "glory" their edge gave them.

These choices will not go without consequences - make no mistake about my opinion.

Personally, I don't feel I am being ignorant. As a former athlete myself, I understand where you are coming from. However, from an entertainment standpoint (which is what it is), why not let the best of the best be their best?

Steroids CAN be effective if managed properly. At one point, somebody was thought of being crazy when they told somebody "we're going to inject you with this virus, and your body will fight it and make you immune to rubella".

"Yeah, but that is to fight disease, not cheat somebody out of their living/job." Not true. What about the companies who made rubella-related products? What about their jobs? If people don't get sick, doctors and nurses will be out of work. (Grossly overstated, yes - but my point is made.)

And as a matter of fact, as a fan, why would I not want something that will enhance my entertainment dollar. Home runs more mammoth, bone-jarring hits more bone-jarring...

Seahawk... not meaning to start a fight or anything, nor disrespect. As I said, I understand your POV.

Quite frankly, I am done with caring about whether or not somebody used steroids or whatever. In the end, they will sacrifice their liver/kidneys/etc for whatever "glory" their edge gave them.

These choices will not go without consequences - make no mistake about my opinion.

I apologize for the aggressiveness of my argument. You hit as hot of a button as I've got, and I just kinda lost it.

I think of movies or musicians as entertainers, but I think a lot of us think of sports as so much more, especially baseball. Boys playing baseball is a part of the fabric of our country. It isn't just entertainment, it is a major part of the history of our country, and it has been made a mockery of. The most recognizable numbers in sports, heck, the most recongizable numbers in any part of life really, are baseball's homerun records. Now forever more, Barry Bonds will lie atop of the most important numbers in sports history. Future generations of kids won't even know who Roger Maris is, but they'll know Bonds, McGwire & Sosa. They'll be taught of 1998, not 1961. Achievements of great athletes performing to levels seemingly above the limits of the body will forever be replaced by the achievements of guys who weren't good enough or honest enough to do it without cheating.

You say baseball was more entertaining when the guys were on the juice, but I can't watch it. I haven't watched an entire baseball game in almost ten years now. I just can't do it. They lost me. They turned the game into a joke. I love athletes for their talent and work ethic, not for their injections. I don't even coach anymore. I can't look the kids in the eye and try to help them make it into that world. Maybe I'll come back someday. When the game has been cleaned up for a while. I've tried a bit over the past few years, and the passion just isn't there anymore. They killed it.

No, steroids weren't illegal. Baseball made their bed, and the fans have to sleep in it. Arguing whether or not that makes it right is irrelevant. Whether or not they were illegal, everybody that ever took a steroid knew it was cheating.

Are we ever going to face anything like this in football? When is a player, similar to Canseco going to come clean about HGH? What will that do for the record books? Will we look at this era the same?

Edited by Seahawks21

Curiously no, but they were still illegal. Murder isn't in the rule book either. :wacko:

The difference is that law enforcement polices murder, so there is no reason to have it in the rule book. Up until recently, who policed the use of steroids? Major League Baseball did nothing to try to stop the use of steroids for years. I wonder why...

Edited by MTSuper7

No, steroids weren't illegal. Baseball made their bed, and the fans have to sleep in it. Arguing whether or not that makes it right is irrelevant. Whether or not they were illegal, everybody that ever took a steroid knew it was cheating.

I think the focus here should be on how MLB screwed the pooch on this. Given the culture of major league baseball, the pressure to perform, and the fact that MLB did nothing to dissuade the use of steroids for years makes puts more of the blame on them than the players. Did McGwire know what he was doing was wrong? Sure. But so did the countless other players who also used illegal substances... They might have known it was cheating, but with nothing to police it, I could see how some normally honest players might see others cheating and feel like they needed to as well to stay competitive. I have no idea how well players kept steroid use on the down-low, but I'm sure that any player not using could just as easily notice the changes in players like Bonds and McGwire and put 2 and 2 together to reasonably assume that they didn't all of a sudden get that way from eating their spinach. And up until MLB enacted policies to test and penalize players for steroid use, was their any risk to using (I mean professional risk... I'm sure they will all suffer physical consequences for damaging their bodies).

Long story short... The system has failed, and I agree wholly that we, as fans, are getting the shaft because of it. MLB has not only lost the casual fans who only showed interest when the HR numbers were up there and records were being shattered, but they've lost much of the loyal fan base as well. What a mess!