[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tour de France

detlef

Can we pull up the thread that had swami making fun of bicycle spandex clothing?

Even us cyclists make fun of bicycle spandex clothing.

But it sure is the most comfortable stuff you could ever wear.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, this will not be a newsflash, but it is so much more interesting watching the tour now that I'm in a fantasy league. We're not even playing for money because this is the first time. (Which is a good thing because you can tell which guys in our league truly follow the sport year round and those of us who spent 5 minutes on-line trying to figure out who the hell most of these guys were).

But, even following it every year prior, I pretty much just cared about the overall winner. And that race doesn't even really begin until they hit the mountains. So, early stages were barely worth reading about in the paper.

Now I've got specific guys to root for. Sprinters that I hope will earn me some points for an early stage win. Random guys, that you spent your last few bucks on, who are low enough on the pecking order that the peleton lets them get away on breakaways and you hope might pull off something and get you very unexpected points.

I understand plenty of you couldn't care less about the tour and I have no reason to believe that this would change that. Proceed to make silly remarks about drug use. However, for those of you who tend to have at least a passing interest in it, I do encourage you to try putting a team together next year.

Also, it's easy. Like filling out a bracket for the NCAA hoops tourney, you just pick your team and forget it. From that point on, you're just hoping you don't suck.

Well, if we're going to draw any conclusions from today's finish (which may or may not be wise), it looks like the TdF is going to go chalk - Wiggins or Evans ending in yellow, with Nibali, maybe Froome on the 3rd step.

... chalk ...Wiggins or Evans ending in yellow ...

I must say - the team performance in terms of protecting/supporting their GC contenders of both Sky & BMC today was a bit of a surprise to me (good for the former, not so much for the latter) unless BMC let Evans pretty much finish the stage on his own (well, using Sky to keep pace) by design ... I expected BMC to be the best 'support team', even in the non-flat stages.

Interesting day overall no matter what, and barring unexpected events (ie crash, mechanical debacle, etc) it looks like Chavez may be correct about 1 of Wiggins-Evans being the yellow jersey at the end of the race.

Edited by ts