[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Det and Bier help needed

peteteacher2001

Guys, I have been very much getting into Asian cuisine lately. Thai and Vietnamese specifically. I have been doing the coconut curries, bahn mi's, etc but am wishing to learn to do something that I can throw on the guys for Sundays ie soups, grilled stuff, etc.

Thanks and hope your seasons are going well.

Pete

Well, for starters, if you've been messing with banh mi, I think you've already got your Sunday jam. Make a big batch of the quick pickled carrot/daikon and some spicy mayo. Slice cukes and jalapenos and pick some cilantro. Assemble some sub rolls and marinate and grill off some combo of chicken, beef, and pork. Let everyone make their own.

Another, very similar riff is Bun. Virtually the same set of ingredients, but assembled on a bed of thin rice noodles and shredded cabbage/lettuce with a dressing of sweet chili, rice vinegar, and fish sauce. Top with fried or grilled onions.

Same as above, have batches of the garnish, boil off some rice vermicelli and let people build their own plates topping with their meat of choice.

Another dish, which was actually called Monday Night Football ribs because my buddies always wanted me to make them for MNF, is basically beef short ribs braised with Shaoxing (or dry sherry), dark soy, star anise, ginger, and brown sugar. Using chicken stock or water to make enough braising liquid without going overboard on the soy and sherry. Brown them, braise them for about 3 hours. Then remove, strain the liquid, rack off the fat and reduce the liquid until it's a bit thicker and concentrated enough. Then put the ribs back in and serve.

Great with rice or even better with mashed sweet potatoes. Takes a while, but you can make it the day before and just heat it up if you need to.

As far as soup, there's always those delicious coconut-based hot and sour deals. To a degree, it's basically a thinned out curry with extra lime juice.

if it's for sunday football, i'd go with different finger food items (ribs, or short ribs as mentioned), wings, misc rolls (some fried, some steamed or cold), mini bahn mis, satay, grilled or broiled beef or porks, etc.

In other words, man food. Instead of that ladyboy food det recommended.