[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

any hvac gurus?

whoopazz

I have 2 electric heat pumps, both 24 year old Carriers (2.5 and 2.0 ton). Well, one finally crapped out - I think its just the air handler blower which is about a $500 repair. But rather than dump money into a 24 yo unit, I'm thinking I'll take the plunge and replace them both. Dumb idea? Nothing fancy, just new units of 15 SEER or so. Any pitfalls I need to watch out for, preferred brands, etc.? TIA

I have 2 electric heat pumps, both 24 year old Carriers (2.5 and 2.0 ton). Well, one finally crapped out - I think its just the air handler blower which is about a $500 repair. But rather than dump money into a 24 yo unit, I'm thinking I'll take the plunge and replace them both. Dumb idea? Nothing fancy, just new units of 15 SEER or so. Any pitfalls I need to watch out for, preferred brands, etc.? TIA

Not a terrible idea. At this point, they have both WAY outlived their life cycle, since heat pumps usually last about 10-12 years. Plus, just based on age you should see some good utility savings with the newer equipment.

As far as brands, the main thing is to pick a good installer. The installation is way more important then the brand of equipment you choose. Your major brands will perform similarly.

Lots of other stuff I could talk to you about. I would be glad to go over your bids with you to make sure you're getting a fair price. Get several bids.

What part of the country are you in? I may have a client in your area.( I do marketing for heating and cooling companies now. I used to sell hvac here in kansas city also)

Thats right, near Raleigh, NC. I am avoiding the big box stores and getting 2 or 3 quotes from local private companies that have good reviews. Was pleasantly surprised with the first one - he has Carrier and Payne (which he tells me is a Carrier without the fancy skin).

Guy coming tomorrow that sells American Standard.

Thanks!