[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

CBS question regarding waivers and player availability

whomper

Hi All. I commish a CBS league. We currently run waivers on Wed night and then its first come first serve the rest of the way. We are in our rules suggestion period right now and I suggested that we run waivers Wed, Thurs and Friday. I did this because CBS runs waivers at like 2 am. I actually had league members staying awake or setting alarms so that once waivers ran , they could pick up the primo first come first serve guys at 2 am

My questions are as follows and this pertains to how cbs runs things

1. If I run waivers Wed, Thur and Friday, will the site automatically allow us to do first come first serve on Saturday since we dont have that listed as a waiver day ?

2. One guy suggested that dropped players immediately become available to be picked up. I dont see a commish setting to allow this. Currently CBS doesnt allow a dropped guy to be available until the next waiver. Ex. Friday is the final day of waivers. I drop player A. Is there a way to make player A available to be picked up first come first serve on Saturday or is he done until waivers run again the next week ?

3. Does CBS allow you to drop a guy whose game was played already ?

4. We have waivers set so a guy stays on waivers for the minimum amount of time , which is 1 day . They said that doesnt include the day he was dropped. Does this mean , if I drop a guy on Wed , he cant be picked up again via waivers until Friday or can he be picked up via waivers on Thursday ?

Sorry for all of the questions. any help will be appreciated

I am also a commish on CBS.  Been one for about 8ish years..

1.  Definitely should run waiver every day.  For CBS, under commissioner "Set Transaction Policies", I have Tuesday thru Saturday checked off.   This way no one has to stay up at 2 AM to get the jump on someone.   That's just not fair.

2.  I would not allow a guy that is dropped to be immediately picked up.  Too much shadiness can happen which is why we got rid of that.   Plus, then it's about being lucky that you caught someone dropping before anyone else and immediately picked it up.   

3.  No.  Once a guy is played, he isn't available until next week.  IMO, they did this the correct way.

4.  I believe they just added that feature as I don't recall it being like that in previous years.  It used to be you had to wait till Saturday to pick up a guy that was dropped.  If I am understanding this correctly, this feature will be if you set it for one day, drop a guy on Wednesday, you should be able to pick him up the next waiver wire day which should be Thursday.  I haven't set the policies all up yet for my league as I do that after the draft (which is this weekend).  Once I do that, I should hopefully have a clearer understanding of this question.

Gonna add this for some clarification...

Free agent vs Waiver Wire

Waiver wire starts on Tuesday.  After first day of waiver wire is processed, whoever isn't picked up will be switched to free agent.  Free agents can be picked up anytime throughout the week.  Now the players you dropped to pick up a player will be put on the waiver wire.  That's the guy that will have to wait for on waiver wire which should be the next day.  If someone drops a guy on Sunday, I believe no one will be able to pick him up until the following week of waiver wire.  

We use reverse standings for waiver wire.  It's not one that we like as some people in our league wants it to be based on last weekends performance.   As soon as you make your pick on waiver wire, you move down to last in waiver wire.  Then it just adjusts to each waiver wire a team makes.  We don't cap the amount of pickups a person wants to make either.  In my league, we want a team to make a pickup as we charge $5 for every transaction.  (We also do $100 buy in and $10 for every loss)

Hopefully this will help.

So even though I run waivers every night it still doesn't solve my issue that guys can pick up free agents at 2 am ? For example. I run waivers Wednesday. Anyone that isn't dropped or has a claim put in on them can be picked up first come first serve evenyhough we run waivers again the next day ? Please confirm as this is very Important

To clarify the league gripe i made in post 1. We are pissed that certain guys are grabbing first come first serve at 2 am and we are trying to avoid that. We all have lives and jobs etc and it sucks that CBS runs waiver at 2 and some guys were grabbing the best fcfs at 2 am while everyone else is sleeping. I thought I could solve it by running waivers on consecutive nights. I didn't think fcfs still happened until you ended waivers for the week 

13 minutes ago, whomper said:

To clarify the league gripe i made in post 1. We are pissed that certain guys are grabbing first come first serve at 2 am and we are trying to avoid that. We all have lives and jobs etc and it sucks that CBS runs waiver at 2 and some guys were grabbing the best fcfs at 2 am while everyone else is sleeping. I thought I could solve it by running waivers on consecutive nights. I didn't think fcfs still happened until you ended waivers for the week 

Our settings at Yahoo have every player that's dropped go on waivers for I believe 48 hrs. So if you drop a player sat morning he can't be claimed until Tuesday. And if you drop a guy on Tues nights waiver run , or whatever night (usually 2 or 3 am) he's on waivers for 48 hrs.

I'd imagine cbs will allow you to do this also. Wont that solve your problem?

Eta: players in the ww pool are fcfs after the tues nights waiver run, but only players that weren't dropped during that run

Edited by HowboutthemCowboys

I see there is an option to make free agent players always on waivers. This will solve my issue but my question to that is when I want to open it up to fist come first serve on Saturday morning, will CBS allow that or will they lock me in to no fcfs all year? 

Also a long time CBS commish...

I believe if you turn on the "Free Agent players always on waivers" setting that there will never be first come first serve (FCFS) ability.

We run waivers every day allowed (Tue-Sun), once a player clears waivers FCFS. We don't have the problem of people sitting around at 2AM to see who didn't clear waivers that they can snap up. Generally if a player has value somebody tries to get them on waivers, or the next morning (7-8AM) they'll grab him as FCFS.

I'm looking at our transaction report from 2016, and don't see any roster moves in the 2-7AM window outside of WAIVERS. Ok there are a couple but I'd have to dig further to see if the player added was even on waivers the night before.

17 hours ago, whomper said:

So even though I run waivers every night it still doesn't solve my issue that guys can pick up free agents at 2 am ? For example. I run waivers Wednesday. Anyone that isn't dropped or has a claim put in on them can be picked up first come first serve evenyhough we run waivers again the next day ? Please confirm as this is very Important

That's what you would want though.  After waiver wire, it's free agent.  Whatever is dropped, goes to waiver.  

Yes, a person can pick up a free agent at 2 AM BUT the waiver wire protects what everyone puts in the night before. 

You could switch it so free agent goes to waiver wire but I don't see the point to that part. 

16 hours ago, whomper said:

Think of it this way, the guys that people want to pick up will be picked up on waiver wire.  Lets say last year Ajayi was never drafted.  Week one, he blows up.  The following week, he is available via waiver wire.  There won't be a guy racing at 2 AM to get him because other peeps and yourself put him in waiver wire request.  Whoever put him in first will get the guy. 

Lets put it this way, we have zero issue rushing at 2 AM to get a guy.  The only gripe I see from a few is the waiver wire order.   Basing on overall record is what they use vs some people want to base it on last week's performance.

16 hours ago, whomper said:

I see there is an option to make free agent players always on waivers. This will solve my issue but my question to that is when I want to open it up to fist come first serve on Saturday morning, will CBS allow that or will they lock me in to no fcfs all year? 

If you run waiver everyday that includes free agents, the order will be based on day by day order.  For example, if you had the first pickup of waiver on Tuesday and no one else picked up a player, you are now 10th in the order.  Now says it's Friday and still no one has picked up a guy,  then the waiver order will still have you as 10th overall.  

Edited by indyrckstar

14 minutes ago, indyrckstar said:

If you run waiver everyday that includes free agents, the order will be based on day by day order.  For example, if you had the first pickup of waiver on Tuesday and no one else picked up a player, you are now 10th in the order.  Now says it's Friday and still on has picked up a guy,  then the waiver order will still have you as 10th overall.  

are guys that clear waivers eligible to be picked up fcfs before waivers end for the week ?

Example. Wednesday waivers run. Nobody put in for Player x , but waivers are running again on thursday. Can someone pick up player x on wednesday fcfs or is he only eligible for fcfs once waivers are done for the week ?

2 minutes ago, whomper said:

are guys that clear waivers eligible to be picked up fcfs before waivers end for the week ?

Example. Wednesday waivers run. Nobody put in for Player x , but waivers are running again on thursday. Can someone pick up player x on wednesday fcfs or is he only eligible for fcfs once waivers are done for the week ?

Depends on how you want to handle the free agent part and if you are going to run waiver wire every day.  If you are going to put everyone that is available to be waiver wire only, then Player X is picked up by whoever is highest on waiver wire.  Regardless of day.  

If no one put in for Kareem Hunt on Waiver run Wednesday, but all of a sudden 3 people want to pick him up on Thursday, then it goes by Waiver wire order for that night.  Obviously waiver wire will adjust every day when people make pickups.  (this is based on IF you are using no free agent option)

Like I said, we do Waiver wire and free agent combo.  If you are concern with free agent (FCFS) portion, just set it up that they can't be picked up until waiver wire runs.  

My issue with not having free agent option is lets say you have a guy in your lineup on Thursday night but now he can't play.  You see a better option available for pickup.  You should be allowed to make that pickup IF he is a free agent.  Especially when it's like 15 minutes before kickoff.  In the past, we have run into this several times.  That's why we keep both Waiver Wire and Free Agent. It solves everything in my opinion.

6 minutes ago, indyrckstar said:

Like I said, we do Waiver wire and free agent combo.  If you are concern with free agent (FCFS) portion, just set it up that they can't be picked up until waiver wire runs.  

first off. Thanks for all the responses man. I appreciate it

above in quotes. This is exactly what I want to do but I want it set up so fcfs only starts after waivers are done for the week. I just dont know how to do that on CBS. I emailed their help desk too. A friend of mine says in his league his commish manually opens up fcfs for the week after waivers are done but I dont know how to do that and this commish is out of town or I would have called him 

2 hours ago, whomper said:

first off. Thanks for all the responses man. I appreciate it

above in quotes. This is exactly what I want to do but I want it set up so fcfs only starts after waivers are done for the week. I just dont know how to do that on CBS. I emailed their help desk too. A friend of mine says in his league his commish manually opens up fcfs for the week after waivers are done but I dont know how to do that and this commish is out of town or I would have called him 

No problem.  I used to not get the CBS setup either. It was a lot of trial by error until i eventually felt comfortable with it.

CBSSportsline support is 100% garbage.  It's amazing my league spends so much money for them yet they provide virtually nothing.

I think you are messing up one part.  You don't want to wait until the end of the week for FCFS.  It's a bad idea to be honest.  It should start after day one of waiver wire.  A couple of reasoning including you have to think about how that impact games on Thursdays and Saturdays.  IMO, it's just not fair for everyone. 

This is what my setup is...

Use your commissioner tool to get to Set Transaction Policy, i have the following...

Lineup Policy:  Allow owners to set lineups and change positions

Lineup Deadline:  Five minutes before game time for each player

Add/Drop Policy:  Use waiver process to do add/drops

Add/Drop Policy:  Five minutes before game time for each player

Limit Adds/Drops Per Scoring Period:  

Free Agent players always on waivers:  

Night to run Waivers:  I have every day checked (Tue, Wed, Thur, Fri, Sat, Sun)

Waiver Period:  1 day

Max claims/week: Unlimited

Waiver Order Resets:  Every week based on reverse order of standings

Trade Policy:  Restrict owners from doing trades

So for Limit Adds/Drops Per Scoring Period and Free Agent players always on waivers, i left both blank.  

This will cover waiver wire, free agency, not dealing with the 2 AM people, FCFS on anything that was a drop or initial waiver wire.  

Edited by indyrckstar

This is my main local league that is over 20 years old. These guys are some of my best friends I will every have, but the maturity level is below anything you have ever seen and they love to make my life miserable. Because one Ahole started setting an alarm and grabbing fcfs at 2 am it threw our whole system in shambles . I would have loved to just keep it as is but I had to address it. Guys didnt want to burn their waiver spot so they grabbed the best fcfs before anyone else by waking up at 2 am . most of the league didnt do this but other guys started to follow suit just because they had to. I really need to run waivers wed, thur and fri with no fcfs until saturday . My friend is on cbs and does fa via auction. His commish manually switches to fcfc at the end of the week. I am hoping I can do that too using a waiver system. CBS help desk sucks and hasnt answered me yet

Just to update and again I appreciate all of your responses. CBS emailed me back . This can be achieved by clicking the box that says free agents are always on waivers . Then I uncheck that box when I want first come first serve after we finish waivers for the week  . So have to manually do it but at least our wishes can be done 

Edited by whomper