[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Joe Haden released..where to?

tazinib1

Whats the deal with his salary, do the browns have to pay him a certain portion of whats left on his contract ? If not whats the likely outcome for a new deal on guys who are released, do they take a pay cut normally? I'm praying the steelers in fact find a way to sign him but they won't if he's demanding the same contract he had.. i think he needs a change of scenery and playing for a contender should give him the drive to return to form once healthy

he can't return to form. injuries have sapped whatever speed he once had. He's just not good anymore. Sad to see it as he's a great asset to the city, and will continue to be wherever he lands.

I'm interested to know how he's considered washed up ? Pro bowl in 2014, Injured in 2015 and 2016 with a concussion and finger issue .. Still only 28.. I'm not challenging, I'm genuinely curious, he reportedly received 3 contract offers, they must think he can still play. 

23 minutes ago, Gourdeau said:

I'm interested to know how he's considered washed up ? Pro bowl in 2014, Injured in 2015 and 2016 with a concussion and finger issue .. Still only 28.. I'm not challenging, I'm genuinely curious, he reportedly received 3 contract offers, they must think he can still play. 

It would be a different story if he signed with the Cowboys. Lord knows they need the help lol. 

1 hour ago, Gourdeau said:

Pro Football Focus rated him the 115th best cornerback out of 132 cornerbacks last year.  But Pittsburgh must think that he'll rebound to have given him that contract.

Here's what Football Outsiders wrote about Haden:

"After a horrendous injury-plagued 2015, Haden ranked 76th out of 87 cornerbacks in adjusted yards per pass in 2016. Quarterbacks certainly aren't afraid anymore, as Haden's estimated target percentage has been over 20 percent in the last three seasons."

It's easy to get lost in their arcane world of stats.

Their main point is quarterbacks often throw at Haden. Earlier in his career, they didn't pass in his direction nearly as much.

To be fair to Haden, he often covers the best receiver. Passes are likely to go in his direction for that reason.

Profootball focus wrote:

"2016 was Haden's worst year as a pro. He gave up a league-high six touchdowns. He allowed 1.48 yards per coverage snap, the league's 12th highest among cornerbacks."

The website ranked 110 cornerbacks. Haden was 88th.

Profootballfocus also added Haden has continued to have problems this preseason:

"He has allowed 1.61 yards per coverage snap and a passer rating of 104.6, the highest among Browns cornerbacks with at least 30 coverage snaps."

So in other words since 2010 he's had 1 bad season being 2016, I would say 2015 is hard to judge performance since he only played 5 games and sample size is too small. I'm not expecting a pro bowl season from him but I do believe at 28 years of age, considering his injuries were relatively minor, the guy should have juice left, it would be easy to sign a guaranteed deal and then "F the dog" in Cleveland when year after year you know there is no shot to win, i'm holding out hope that a move to Pittsburgh will spark him and help the secondary, I like the number 9 mil, still 6 mil in cap space to sign Tuit.

Edited by Gourdeau

9 minutes ago, Gourdeau said:

I would say 2015 is hard to judge performance since he only played 5 games and sample size is too small.

Offensive skill position players are more erratic so 5 games is a small sample size (though maybe of stat production, not a PFF grade).  If a cornerback is bad for a 5 game stretch, it is pretty indicative of him being bad.  Here is what Pro Football Focus had to say about his 5 game stretch in 2015:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-5-worst-nfl-cornerback-contracts

BY ERIC EAGER • JUL 7, 2016

Even before 2015, Haden’s play had always been a rung or two below his reputation. In 2015, this dynamic magnified, with Haden finishing with a 32.2 overall grade before his season ended prematurely with a concussion. He allowed a near-perfect 158.2 passer rating into his coverage last season, surrendering an average of 4.8 receptions, 77.4 yards, and 0.8 touchdowns per game in his five outings. He missed more tackles (five) in 290 snaps last season than he did in 1,044 snaps in 2014.

On Wednesday, August 30, 2017 at 6:59 PM, Gourdeau said:

He's not a starting caliber CB anymore, nickle/dime coverage. His injuries have made him slower and he was never that fast. Rule changes (enforcement really) have taken away his big tool of battling the receiver down the field. All those things mean his coverage just isn't that good, which leaves him chasing the receiver after the catch instead of breaking up the catch. He looks old and slow.

All the stats provided by the other two from PFF ratings is spot on, many Browns fans who loved Joe and hated to seem him join the Steelers cannot (or won't) believe he just isn't that good anymore. He was offered the same $7M to stay on the Browns as the Steelers gave him, but he wanted to test the market (and maybe have a chance to win something before he's done).