[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

touching QB = roughing

BeeR

It is only going to get worse, according to the NFL the Clay Matthews sack and penalty is textbook, and the video will be provided to teams to remind them "this is a penalty". maybe they can hire some ballerinas to rush the QB, they might be able to twist and turn, fly thru the air while striking a glancing blow that is enough to take town an NFL QB.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000963544/article/nfl-to-use-clay-matthews-penalty-in-teaching-video

The NFL is wrong headed about this QB protection. They think they will lose fans if their Star Qb's get hurt but in reality calls like the one made against Clay is what is make me question my NFL loyalty. It makes me angry to see such calls made and costing teams wins over BS. I can't envision a better one arm tackle of a QB then the one made by Clay. He made a text book tackle IMO and if that's a penalty, there is NO way defenses can sack the QB legally anymore. Because if that is a penalty then almost every sack I saw this weekend could be called. Just make it two hand tough already and be done with it. If the defender gets two hands on the QB before he releases the ball it's dead ball sack. Otherwise the game is being changed for the worse and becoming more and more annoying to witness.

2 things need to happen.

1) Make sure all protective equipment is being worn properly.  Your forehead should look like Peyton Manning's when you take off your helmet. A giant red imprint of the padding on your forehead.  If you can take off your helmet with one hand then you are not wearing the equipment properly and have no right to complain about head injuries.

2) When players sign their first contract just have them sign a waiver releasing any threat of future law suites.  You know the risk of the game, if you still want to play sign here.  No more issues.  But let's make it way harder then it needs to be so we can pretend we all care about the health and safety of these guys. 

ex: The cheap shot on Cam Newton yesterday.  You think that guy doesn't know the rule when a QB slides?

ex: Can't remember the player but there was a horrible face mask this past weekend where the def player almost ripped the head off the running back.  You think that guy doesn't know you can't rip a guys head off using the face mask?

Once again, if the guys on the field don't care about their safety why should we? 

4 hours ago, captain77 said:

It's sad what the NFL is turning into.  

Make that "turned," it's been a joke for a long time, and this roughing BS is far from the worst of it.  Sad that such a great game has been botched so badly by the schleps in charge.

14 hours ago, BeeR said:

Make that "turned," it's been a joke for a long time, and this roughing BS is far from the worst of it.  Sad that such a great game has been botched so badly by the schleps in charge.

The game has been changing for a long time, everybody has their own point on when things went too far, or what things they;'ve changed has been the worst. I guess for you it was a long time ago, and other things you consider worse. However over the last couple years I'm feeling it more myself, and hearing it from more people I talk to. First the catch rule, now the roughing rule. When a defender can no longer sack a QB without some form of roughing, and when we could not tell what was a catch it became very difficult to follow and enjoy the game.

8 hours ago, the lone star said:

They're making it too easy for offenses now. Might as well eliminate kickoffs and start them at the 50 with the way they are going, lol.

If you did that then the Cardinals would have actually made it past half field this last sunday... maybe

17 minutes ago, captain77 said:

How can you actually watch these games and say the new rule hasn't affected the quality of the game at all?  Or do you just watch the box score?

There have been 34 roughing the passer penalties called this year.  There have been 48 games.  That is less than one per game.  It is less than 1% of total plays.  It has had almost no effect.

They were down this week, maybe somebody got the memo. But we also had some weird reversals, that of course the NFL will mostly stand behind

- MIN-LAR  there was a block in the back on a punt, flag thrown, then picked up, but it was obvious to the viewers, Joe Troy and Mike (Pereira).

- CLE-OAK Hyde gets a first down to allow Browns to run out the clock, overturned on some minutia that was far from clear and obvious

Probably more that I've forgotten and more in games I didn't see. 

It is starting to feel like the refs are just making things up as they go, maybe they check their fantasy scores or pick-em sheets to decide which way they need things to go.