[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Curtis Martin....

Rovers

The huddle has Martin down for 60 yards rushing. The WDIS forum is full of "who do I start?- The Jets play Pitt!" nonsense.

This crap is ridulous! Martin LEADS the NFL in rushing yardage. The Jets are a run committed team, with a good O line. Yes, Pitt has a good run D, but they havent played the Jets yet, have they? I can name 5 RB's that NO ONE would dream of benching, even if it's against the Steeler defense. But benching Martin seems to be the popular train of thought.

Yes, no RB other than Rudi has posted more than 40 rush yards in a game against Pitt at Heinz..... but why does that fact overwhelm the fact that Martin has never been held to less than 77? He ran all over the Baltimore D, and did OK against NE. His worst weeks were when Carter filled in for Pennington.

Would anyone bench Edge, Lewis or Taylor against Pitt? The more I read, the more I think the Jets have a shot at winning this game. Can you say TRAP?

The huddle has Martin down for 60 yards rushing. The WDIS forum is full of "who do I start?- The Jets play Pitt!" nonsense.

This crap is ridulous! Martin LEADS the NFL in rushing yardage. The Jets are a run committed team, with a good O line. Yes, Pitt has a good run D, but they havent played the Jets yet, have they? I can name 5 RB's that NO ONE would dream of benching, even if it's against the Steeler defense. But benching Martin seems to be the popular train of thought.

Yes, no RB other than Rudi has posted more than 40 rush yards in a game against Pitt at Heinz..... but why does that fact overwhelm the fact that Martin has never been held to less than 77? He ran all over the Baltimore D, and did OK against NE.  His worst weeks were when Carter filled in for Pennington.

Would anyone bench Edge, Lewis or Taylor against Pitt? The more I read, the more I think the Jets have a shot at winning this game. Can you say TRAP?

600648[/snapback]

I'm a Jets fan as well, but curtis only gained 67 yds against buff the second game. i don't remember how he did against NE, but i don't recall it being too stellar. I think the bigger problem is that the Jets probably won't score much against Pitt which would limit curtis's chances to put up a lot of points.

Curtis Martin has been amazing this year. Amazing. I refused to draft him this year. I figured he was done. I missed the play-offs. The guy who drafted him is in first place.

That being said, you have to admit, facing the #1 run defense gives you pause. If you've got a legitimate back-up, it is worth considering.

Here's to Edge taking the rushing total lead this weekend! :D

Edited by CaptainHook

Hey, I'm a Jets homer. This means, at least this time, my opinions may be somewhat biased..... yes, Martin has had some unproductive games, that happens even to a healthy Holmes.... although I would have to research that ot back it up! :D

Here is the kicker.... the Steelers havent faced the Jets yet. The Jets O line, as well as Martin are under the radar. Both are very good. Do I expect the Jets to win? No. But I do think Martin gets 30 carries and goes over 100. Jordan doesnt get the ball in close games. The Jets run the ball an average of 32 times a game. Even if the Jets are behind, they wont abandon the run game. I like Martin for 100 and a TD, more than I like a Jets win here. The guy is under rated.

PS: For instance, the Huddle had Martin at 90 yards rushing and one TD against the pathetic Houston D last week. He was near 130 and scored twice. Now, they think he's good for 60 yards and NO TD's. Add another 40, just like last week. Add a TD too, if not 2 of 'em. No respect! But, being the DOG is better than bein the favorite!

Edited by Rovers

Always play your studs. I think Martin qualifies as "stud" this year.

600858[/snapback]

Agreed! :D

I wish I would have subscribed to this theory in the week the Jets played the Ravens. Baltimore had not been giving up much on the ground (except to Priest of course) so I sat Martin for E. Smith.

RESULT: 28/119yd 2 td's

BAL's run D is not as good as PIT's but it is not too shabby either. It has only allowed 6 rushing td's (2 if you take away the 2 by Priest and Cmart's 2 also). And one of those 2 left was to Jeff Garcia. Only two backs other than CMart ran for over 100 yards on BAL (Priest and Dillon).

I know I have been rambling on about BAL, but my whole point is I chose to sit CMart because nobody else had done anything against the Ravens on the run (besides Priest) ... and CMart is not Priest. It was a bad choice. I would stick with him because even though he is not a big gain back, this year he gets the job done. The Bills stopped him, yes, but could that be because they have been playing him for how many years now (twice a year too).