[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Need Math/Stats Help

10g_DBA

Are there any math geniuses out there who could give me a nifty formula for applying my leagues scoring system to the Huddle's projections? Yardage points are not a linear TOTAL / X calculation. It's not a flat rate.

A player’s performance falls within a certain range. Higher ranges award more points per yard than lower ranges. I don't know how to intentionally skew or bias the data to account for this. Obviously, LT's yards would fall in the upper ranges and be worth more than Lee Suggs, for example.

Rushing

Yardage......Points

0 - 9.........0

10 - 34.......1

35 - 49.......2

50 - 74.......4

75 - 99.......7

100 - 124.....10

125 - 149.....15

150 - 174.....20

175 + ........25

Passing and Receiving are the same, but with different range endpoints.

Simple averaging will diminish the high perf bonus/low perf penalty. Any ideas on how I can accurately do LAG without being arbitrary?

Are there any math geniuses out there who could give me a nifty formula for applying my leagues scoring system to the Huddle's projections?  Yardage points are not a linear TOTAL / X calculation.  It's not a flat rate.

A player’s performance falls within a certain range.  Higher ranges award more points per yard than lower ranges.  I don't know how to intentionally skew or bias the data to account for this.  Obviously, LT's yards would fall in the upper ranges and be worth more than Lee Suggs, for example.

Rushing

Yardage......Points

0  -    9.........0

10  -   34.......1

35  -   49.......2

50  -   74.......4

75  -   99.......7

100 - 124.....10

125 - 149.....15

150 - 174.....20

175 + ........25

Passing and Receiving are the same, but with different range endpoints.

Simple averaging will diminish the high perf bonus/low perf penalty.  Any ideas on how I can accurately do LAG without being arbitrary?

935781[/snapback]

I don't think it can be done with seasonal projections. Who came up with this :D

Take a two game "season".

RB1 runs for 50 yards in game 1 and 175 yards in game 2. That gives him 29 (4 +25) points for his 225 yard "season".

RB2 runs for 120 yards in game 1 and 125 yeards in game 2. That gives him 25 (10 + 15) points for his 225 yard "season".

Edited by hinesite

Dont see how you can or why it would matter,

if player A get 140 week 1 and 50yrds week 2 then in standerd = 19 in your set up = 19,

unless you can predict a player to get multiple 150+ yrd games and a few 70yrd then manually on gut feeling bump a player 5 or 6 points here or there.

With that in mind if you can accurately pick a player yardage that well go to vegas and win some money.

I don't think it can be done with seasonal projections.  Who came up with this  :D

Take a two game "season".

RB1 runs for 50 yards in game 1 and 175 yards in game 2.  That gives him 29 (4 +25) points for his 225 yard "season".

RB2 runs for 120 yards in game 1 and 125 yeards in game 2.  That gives him 25 (10 + 15) points for his 225 yard "season".

935904[/snapback]

Correct. Those values are per a single game.

if player A get 140 week 1 and 50yrds week 2 then in standerd = 19 in your set up = 19,

unless you can predict a player to get multiple 150+ yrd games and a few 70yrd then manually on gut feeling bump a player 5 or 6 points here or there.

With that in mind if you can accurately pick a player yardage that well go to vegas and win some money.

935914[/snapback]

arbitrary

ar·bi·trary

Pronunciation: 'är-b&-"trer-E

Function: adjective

1 : depending on individual discretion (as of a judge) and not fixed by law

2 a : not restrained or limited in the exercise of power : ruling by absolute authority b : marked by or resulting from the unrestrained and often tyrannical exercise of power

3 a : based on or determined by individual preference or convenience rather than by necessity or the intrinsic nature of something b : existing or coming about seemingly at random or by chance or as a capricious and unreasonable act of will

Dude...

Most people here can't tie their own shoes, let alone design mathematical algorithims for you.

Try another site.

935903[/snapback]

You're a doctor, c'mon man, help me out.

By the way, I need more horse tranquilizer when ya get a chance.

y = .7+ (x**2)/12.5

where x is performance points under DMD's scoring system (.1 points per yard) and y is performance points under your scoring system

(it's not perfect by any means at all, but it's a decent enough approximation)

here are some examples of how the formula would work to convert dmd's point system into your point system (with a third column to give the exact points your league awards)

dmd      formula    actual0         0           02.2       1.0872      14.2       2.1112      26.2       3.7752      48.7       6.7552      711.2      10.7352     1013.7      15.7152     1516.2      21.6952     2018.2      27.1992     25

Edited by wiegie

y = .7+ (x**2)/12.5

where x is performance points under DMD's scoring system (.1 points per yard) and y is performance points under your scoring system

(it's not perfect by any means at all, but it's a decent enough approximation)

here are some examples of how the formula would work to convert dmd's point system into your point system (with a third column to give the exact points your league awards)

dmd      formula    actual0         0           02.2       1.0872      14.2       2.1112      26.2       3.7752      48.7       6.7552      711.2      10.7352     1013.7      15.7152     1516.2      21.6952     2018.2      27.1992     25

936061[/snapback]

:D:D

When are your office hours?

Again unless you can predict exact game stats what is the importance for drafting?

C. Martin 1697yrds dmd=169.7 points your way 159 pts

S Alex. 1696yrds dmd=169.6 points your way 182 pts

So the only way this can work is if you go back and do weekly, not yearly, projections. Look at who faces the most weak against the run defences in a year. But no mathamactical formula can change a 1 year projection into weekly projections. And if you need to look at indiviual weeks what's the point of a formula, just use excell.