[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Even in Pre-Season Manning is still.............

Big Score 1

By your logic, you could also say that Troy Walters needed the work. If Stokley might miss the opener, Walters would be the third WR. Plus, Walters missed almost all of last year with a broken arm. Maybe the Colts wanted to practice with him. . .

By your logic, you could also say that Troy Walters needed the work. If Stokley might miss the opener, Walters would be the third WR. Plus, Walters missed almost all of last year with a broken arm. Maybe the Colts wanted to practice with him. . .

914706[/snapback]

Big reach.....but lets see if we can spin this logically.

You're saying they want to give their 4th WR some goal line work, all the while knowing their #3 will be back soon.

And they are going to do this at the expense of getting their O'line some Goal to Go run blocking work, which they really need?

Uhhhh...........Ok :D

And getting your second string offensive linemen goalline work?  Who is reaching?

914732[/snapback]

After watching Indy's 1st string O'line trying to play smash mouth football, not just last year, but for the last three years, they gotta do something. If they identify a back up O'Lineman or two who have the requsite nasty attitude for the dirty work, don't you think on Goal Line run packages they'd help?

Heck that'd accomplish two things:

#1) It would help their Goal to Go run blocking

#2) As oppposing teams figure out that when Indy inserts a particular Lineman (or Linemen), it's going to be a run play. As D's begin to overplay the run, Manning can burn with the pass even easier than he already does.

But look Hook, if you want to think that Indy was specifically working on Walters Goal Line play for the season opener, be my guest. Personally, I think it's highly doubtful and even worse, if it's true, then they're pretty darn stupid. Why on earth would they work on the #4 WR's goal line play knowing the real #3 WR will be back 2 or 3 games into the season max, when their Goal to Go O'line run package needs far more work.

That just doesn't make any sense to me. :D

But hey what do I know? If I'm so dang smart, how come I'm not Coaching in the NFL, right?

It really is this simple:

In the Colts offense, if the defense shows goal-line defense, you pass. If they show that they are playing the pass, you check to a run.

914749[/snapback]

Again I understand what you're saying Hook.

But the problem is, when Indy goes to the run at the Goal Line, their O'line can't seem to generate any push and more often than not, Indy fails at punching it in.

However, their Goal Line passing offense is superb.

So why on earth, in a pre-season game, would you even bother calling a Goal Line pass play to your #4 WR (who more than likely won't see much regular season action in that situation), when you know that your Goal to Go O'Line needs the work in the worst way and you're sitting on the 2 yard line?

It just doesn't make sense to me....except....if that's going to be Indy's offensive philosophy this year.

I see Manning throwing a bunch of TD's again, while Edge probably gets low double digit TD's (10 -11 -12?).

I've no absolutely no fears now, in Manning suffering a decline in TD passing opportunities. He could even conceivably be in line to challenge his own TD record this year.

I do not expect Edge to see an increase in his TD opportunities.

And that's what I take away from it.

I pretty much outlined their offensive philosophy in my last post.

Seems to me, not much has changed with the Indy O. It doesn't look like Edge will be all that involved in short yardage and Goal to Go situations and people might want to adjust their Top Tier RB rankings accordingly.

914620[/snapback]

10-12 TD's plus the consistent yardage rushing and receiving is no reason to bump him down in the rankings. That's exactly what I'd be hoping for.

Edited by CaptainHook

10-12 TD's plus the consistent yardage rushing and receiving is no reason to bump him down in the rankings.  That's exactly what I'd be hoping for.

914829[/snapback]

Problem is, 10 to 12 TD's is probably the max for Edge. For a pick in the first 5, I'd be hoping that there is an up side for more.

Whereas other RB's that are currently going 5 spots or so after Edge, they do have the TD up side along with potentially consistent yardage.

Catch my drift?

they do have the TD up side along with potentially consistent yardage.

914859[/snapback]

TD up side with potential, eh? No thanks. I'd take Edge, an actually consistent yardage producer on an explosive offensive team. Edge has the potential to score a lot more than 10-12 TD's. I'd rather take that "risk" rather than on a guy like McAllister, the Jones boys, McGahee, Davis, or Portis. Those are the guys you would have to bump UP if you are going to move Edge DOWN. . .

TD up side with potential, eh?  No thanks.  I'd take Edge, an actually consistent yardage producer on an explosive offensive team.  Edge has the potential to score a lot more than 10-12 TD's.  I'd rather take that "risk" rather than on a guy like McAllister, the Jones boys, McGahee, Davis, or Portis.  Those are the guys you would have to bump UP if you are going to move Edge DOWN. . .

914870[/snapback]

Edge may have the potential to score more than 10 to 12 TD's, but I don't think he will get the chance to score more than 10 to 12 TD's, given the direction of Indy's offense.

Considering that any of the names you threw could easily end up not being not far behind Edge yardage wise, if not actually surpassing him, and should have a far better chance to exceed Edge's likely TD totals, personally, I would not have to think very long or hard, about drafting them ahead of Edge.

My .02 for what it's worth.

Edge may have the potential to score more than 10 to 12 TD's, but I don't think he will get the chance to score more than 10 to 12 TD's, given the direction of Indy's offense.

Considering that any of the names you threw could easily end up not being not far behind Edge yardage wise, if not actually surpassing him, and should have a far better chance to exceed Edge's likely TD totals, personally, I would not have to think very long or hard, about drafting them ahead of Edge.

My .02 for what it's worth.

914893[/snapback]

All I can say is that I wish I was drafting behind you.

In the past two years, McAllister has had only 10 TD's each season.

McGahee had 13 TD's last year, but was not a part of the passing game. Plus now he has a new "rookie" QB at the helm.

Jamal Lewis is coming off of ankle surgery. He is still missing from camp. He only had 7 TD's last year. However, he is one of the two guys I could see an argument for drafting over Edge.

Priest Holmes is the other. He's a TD machine. 2 worries: there is a VERY talented back waiting in the wings, and of course, injuries.

Dom Davis has an injury history. He is also not very consistent on a game to game basis. He had 14 TD's last year and 8 in 2003.

Julius Jones and Kevin Jones- Drafting guys who had great runs at the end of their rookie year can be disatrous. See William Green.

Clinton Portis. I have no faith in Washington's passing game. He had 7 TD's last year. I foresee a repeat.

While I think these guys are good #1 fantasy backs, I would take Edge over all of them.

Edited by CaptainHook

All I can say is that I wish I was drafting behind you.

914894[/snapback]

Ditto.
In the past two years, McAllister has had only 10 TD's each season.

McGahee had 13 TD's last year, but was not a part of the passing game.  Plus now he has a new "rookie" QB at the helm.

Jamal Lewis is coming off of ankle surgery.  He is still missing from camp.  He only had 7 TD's last year.  However, he is one of the two guys I could see an argument for drafting over Edge.

Priest Holmes is the other.  He's a TD machine.  2 worries: there is a VERY talented back waiting in the wings, and of course, injuries.

Dom Davis has an injury history.  He is also not very consistent on a game to game basis.  He had 14 TD's last year and 8 in 2003.

Julius Jones and Kevin Jones- Drafting guys who had great runs at the end of their rookie year can be disatrous.  See William Green.

Clinton Portis.  I have no faith in Washington's passing game.  He had 7 TD's last year.  I foresee a repeat.

While I think these guys are good #1 fantasy backs, I would take Edge over all of them.

914894[/snapback]

It's obvious from the above that you're more of a "the glass is half empty" kind of guy, whereas I'm more of a "the glass is half full" kind of guy.

And there's nothing wrong with either philosphy. To each his own, I say :D

Edited by Big Score 1

While I am not so blind as to say it is impossible for any of those backs to have a better fantasy year than Edge, I think you'd be hard pressed to pick EXACTLY which one(s) it will be. I'd go with consistency. Edge is pretty much guaranteed close to 2000 combined yards and 9 TD's. If you're looking for the sure thing from that group, it's him.

While I am not so blind as to say it is impossible for any of those backs to have a better fantasy year than Edge, I think you'd be hard pressed to pick EXACTLY which one(s) it will be.  I'd go with consistency.  Edge is pretty much guaranteed close to 2000 combined yards and 9 TD's.  If you're looking for the sure thing from that group, it's him.

914914[/snapback]

I ain't saying who I'd pick ahead of Edge, because there's to darn many BOTH DOH! League mates here.

Sorry guys, I'm not tipping my hand here :D

I ain't saying who I'd pick ahead of Edge, because there's to darn many BOTH DOH! League mates here.

Sorry guys, I'm not tipping my hand here :D

914922[/snapback]

Or perhaps, in a brilliant bit of strategy, are you trying to convince one of your league-mates to pass on Edgerrin James so that he falls to YOU!?! :D

Edited by CaptainHook

Or perhaps, in a brilliant bit of strategy, are you trying to convince one of your league-mates to pass on Edgerrin James so that he falls to YOU!?! :D

914935[/snapback]

Dang it Hook.........Shhhhhhhhhhh! :D:D

Actually it's a keep up to three league, so I'm sure Edge will be held. I just don't want them knowing how much value I place on the others.