[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pacman agrees to terms

TitansFan

LINK

Pacman to sign 5-year deal

Top pick may be ready to start practice today

By JIM WYATT

Staff Writer

The Titans and first-round pick Pacman Jones agreed in principle on a five-year contract last night and the cornerback could be on the practice field as early as today.

Titans General Manager Floyd Reese and agent Michael Huyghue were still discussing some of the language in the deal late last night, which could pose a few final sticking points.

But after on-and-off negotiations over the past few weeks, both sides were optimistic a deal was imminent as Jones visited Baptist Sports Park yesterday to meet with Titans officials.

"We are at the last straw,'' Huyghue said last night. "We still have some work to do, but I think it's safe to say he'll be playing by Friday (preseason game at Atlanta).''

After cutting off talks last Thursday, Huyghue and his colleague Brodie Waters picked up talks again yesterday with Reese and Titans General Counsel Steve Underwood.

The two sides agreed on a deal with guaranteed money in the $13.5 million range, and last night the Titans were sending the language portion of the contract — clauses, incentives, etc. — to Huyghue in Jacksonville, Fla.

The parties are expected to iron out some of the final details this morning.

Barring any last-minute complications the deal could be completed by the time the Titans practice at 4 p.m.

Reese did not return a phone call from The Tennessean last night. Coach Jeff Fisher confirmed he met with Jones in person earlier yesterday and was optimistic a deal would be completed soon.

"I think Pac wants to get into camp. I know Mike wants to get it done, and Floyd wants to get it done. I'll just say the events of the day were a step in the right direction,'' Fisher said. "I am encouraged. I believe right now things are closer than they've ever been.''

Jones, the sixth overall pick in the draft, has missed all of training camp so far (25 practices). He has been working out in Jacksonville, Fla.

Jones was also spotted chatting with fans at a convenience store near Baptist Sports Park yesterday and he remained in town last night.

Asked if Jones indicated he planned on staying in Nashville until his contract is finalized, Fisher said: "Common sense tells you if it is getting closer he would work his way back to the vicinity of the practice field.''