[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Steve Smith

dfv87

I haven't heard much, other than stuff about RB's and 2nd WR from Panther country. Does Smith look like he did prior to the injury? I am banking on him being a stud this year in my buddy league, and am thinking about taking him in a money league also. :D

Edited by dfv87

I haven't heard much, other than stuff about RB's and 2nd WR from Panther country. Does Smith look like he did prior to the injury? I am banking on him being a stud this year in my buddy league, and am thinking about taking him in a money league also. :D

942498[/snapback]

I watched him play against the Giants last Saturday and he looked good. Quick and fast. One catch he didn't grab with his hands was taken from him by the Giants. He should've caught it clean, but other than that, I thought he looked really good. I'm bumping him up a little on my draft board. In one half he had 8 catches.

Steve Smith is looking great, and should have a great year. He even has his punt return job back as well.

942648[/snapback]

That's awsome. I get points for ind. return efforts in my local. We draft this sunday and there is a very strong chance that I'll be able to get Smith as my #2 WR at 4.2. Though, I drafted Smith very high last year (in two leagues) and spent the the next few weeks trying to scrounge up servicable WRs after Smith got his leg all busted. Hopefully he stays in once piece this year.

Edited by yo mama

Steve Smith is looking great, and should have a great year. He even has his punt return job back as well.

942648[/snapback]

This is the main reason I don't like drafting him. I traded him away in a dynasty league last year, and I could get him again this year, but at 5'9" I seriously worry about this guys durability. The fact they put him at punt returner worries me even more.

Edited by CaptainHook

This is the main reason I don't like drafting him.  I traded him away in a dynasty league last year, and I could get him again this year, but at 5'9" I seriously worry about this guys durability.  The fact they put him at punt returner worries me even more.

942777[/snapback]

I share your concern, but I like to tell myself John Fox has a smidge more invested in keeping Smith healthy than I might.

I share your concern, but I like to tell myself John Fox has a smidge more invested in keeping Smith healthy than I might.

942787[/snapback]

Seriously though, can they not find someone else to handle punt returns besides their #1 WR? I would be having a heart attack on every punt if the Colts decided to use Marvin Harrison.

Seriously though, can they not find someone else to handle punt returns besides their #1 WR?  I would be having a heart attack on every punt if the Colts decided to use Marvin Harrison.

942790[/snapback]

...as would I if Javon Walker were back there; though I suppose if you think about it, small guys like Darrell Green, Eric Metcalf, and (larger) Derrick Mason have held down starting jobs while returning kicks and I don't recall too many injuries happening to them. Full-time returners like Mel Gray and Desmond Howard lasted quite a while in the league as well.

I have a hunch everyone remembers the Jason Sehorn thing, but without doing any research, that may have been the exception, not the rule. I'd bet a player is more likely to be hurt as a blocker or gunner on kick units than as a returner.

Doesn't mean we have to like it, though...

This is the main reason I don't like drafting him.  I traded him away in a dynasty league last year, and I could get him again this year, but at 5'9" I seriously worry about this guys durability.  The fact they put him at punt returner worries me even more.

942777[/snapback]

All very valid points, but I say he's durable, as the tackle that busted the leg, it was a fluke tackle from behind. I think he'll be fine, but as a Panther fan, I do wish he would not return punts-then again that was why the Panthers drafted him in the first place. They just got a good WR to boot. Peace PD.

...as would I if Javon Walker were back there; though I suppose if you think about it, small guys like Darrell Green, Eric Metcalf, and (larger) Derrick Mason have held down starting jobs while returning kicks and I don't recall too many injuries happening to them. Full-time returners like Mel Gray and Desmond Howard lasted quite a while in the league as well.

I have a hunch everyone remembers the Jason Sehorn thing, but without doing any research, that may have been the exception, not the rule. I'd bet a player is more likely to be hurt as a blocker or gunner on kick units than as a returner.

Doesn't mean we have to like it, though...

942820[/snapback]

I remember Tim Brown breakining his leg on a punt return too.

I remember Tim Brown breakining his leg on a punt return too.

942962[/snapback]

Oh that's COMPLETELY incorrect.

He actually blew out his knee. :doah:

Still, my point is that injuries on football fields happen. Recall '98, when Jamal Anderson went down without being touched and Terrell Davis got his knee blown by his QB tackling a DB returning an int. Like I said, I didn't look into it, but rifling through my memory, I can't recall too awful many career-damaging injuries to PRs - I admit I could be completely wrong and they happen with alarming constancy; but it's only another 50-60 touches, which still leaves a PR/WR far short of the beating that even a 2nd string RB takes.