[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Those darn off weeks ...

Grits and Shins

Drafting right now in Hannibals ... 12 team standard performance league with a mandatory 3 keeper rule. Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 Flex (RB/WR/TE), 1 TE, 1 DF

This year I kept

Dominick Davis

Kevin Jones

Darrell Jackson

I debated trading picks to upgrade from Darrell Jackson to Stephen Jackson, Javon Walker, or maybe Joe Horn. But with the 4th pick overall I decided to take a chance with one of the rookie RBs.

1.01 - Stephen Jackson

1.02 - Carnell Williams

1.03 - Javon Walker

That means I had my choice of Ronnie Brown, Cedric Benson or J.J. Arrington as I had already decided I was taking one of (or the last) rookie RB in this slot. I decided to go this route, instead of a top WR, so that I would have three keeper RBs next year. A couple weeks ago I would happily have taken Cedric Benson ... but with his hold out lingering and with the loss of Grossman I decided NOT to take Benson. That left Ronnie Brown vs J.J. Arrington. Personally I think Miami is in shambles and has a horrible O-Line ... so I chose J.J. Arrington.

1.04 - J.J.Arrington

So when my next pick comes around the best WR left on the board is Anquan Boldin. I don't really want to double up on Arizona players but he is the best WR left on the board in my opinion ... so I take him. There are a whole host of players I would have preferred in this spot that were taken before my pick ... which wasn't really unexpected.

2.09 - Anquan Boldin

So now here is my squad going into pick 3.04:

PLAYER           OFF--------------   ---D.Davis           3K.Jones           3J.J.Arrington     6D.Jackson         8A.Boldin          6

At this point I either need a RB to cover my week 3 bye or another WR. Each week I will be starting FIVE of these players. Players on the board that I am considering ... Driver, Barlow, Fred Taylor. Driver and Barlow are both off in .... arrgg ... week 6. Fred Taylor is off week 7. So bye week wise Fred Taylor is the best fit ... and I really want to believe and take him here. But he is coming off a PCL and MCL injury to the same knee and has yet to see any action (although he is supposed to start Thursday).

So as much as it pains me to do it ... I take Kevan Barlow ... no my squad looks like:

PLAYER           OFF--------------   ---D.Davis           3K.Jones           3J.J.Arrington     6K.Barlow          6D.Jackson         8A.Boldin          6

Week 6 is going to be a girlie but at least it won't be too back week 3 when I play Steel Bunz (get REZ week 6).

Edited by Grits and Shins

From everything I've read, be it here, or mags, or other online sources, and people who've won the fftoc, none seem to worry about the bye weeks. I always fall into the same quandary, but this guys off here, and this one here, but almost everytime, these "experts" say to draft the best talent and disregard the bye weeks. MY understanding is, dominate 16 weeks witht the best team, and suffer 1 week. Who knows , a lil luck, maybe the backups perform.

Id almost rather have all my stud players off the same week because then you have one week without them as opposed to Week 3 without KJ, then Week 4 (for example) without Dom Davis. Id rather lose one week and then have all my big guns together the rest of the year. Not saying I draft to get everyone the same bye week though...

Edited by Primetime9287