[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Benson to start week 1

Randall

You sure about that?  I've heard he's playing in Week 1, but I have a hard time believing that a guy who's only been on the team for a week is suddenly starting.

968463[/snapback]

True stuff. Bears forums are devoid of any suggestion that Benson will start ...

You sure about that?  I've heard he's playing in Week 1, but I have a hard time believing that a guy who's only been on the team for a week is suddenly starting.

968463[/snapback]

They could be wrong but that is what Adam Schien said on Afternoon Blitz. He said he was starting. I was surprised. They said the Tribune gave them the verification.

They said it twice, but you can call them at 877 NFL KICK if you'd like to check.

Edited by Randall

From the Tribune today:

That will not happen again. With only a few days of practice, Benson will play Sunday at Washington in the opener against the Redskins.

After an outstanding preseason, Thomas Jones remains the starter. But the Bears signed Benson to a five-year contract worth $30 million to do more than give Jones an occasional down or series off, and competition for the starting running back's job begins in earnest this week.

From the Tribune today:

968600[/snapback]

Since they said it twice on a show and then on sports news another release may come out from the Tribune later. We shall see. I hope they wouldn't get reports wrong twice.

It would be pretty amazing if he did start....and the offense would have to be pretty vanilla for him.

I am going with what I've heard locally and what I read locally, that TJ is the starter against the Skins. I could be wrong.

969199[/snapback]

Looks like they were wrong. The Trib today did say he will play but not start.

"That will not happen again. With only a few days of practice, Benson will play Sunday at Washington in the opener against the Redskins.

After an outstanding preseason, Thomas Jones remains the starter. But the Bears signed Benson to a five-year contract worth $30 million to do more than give Jones an occasional down or series off, and competition for the starting running back's job begins in earnest this week.

"

When and in what situations he plays will be anyone's guess, but I'll take a stab. I see CB with as many as 6-8 carries, and will be dictated by the game condition. As long as TJ is getting positive yardage and they're in the game, Peterson will spell him. If the game is out of hand, I'm sure we'll see Benson get a bit of game action.

If anyone asks "should I start Benson this week", they either have no clue, or have fubar'd their draft so bad, their options stink.