[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

New ERA in the NFL

Portland

Peyton Manning & Co. took full advantage of the new no contact rule. OCs have had an additional year to scheme, plan and implement. I know the RB is king for a succesfull fantasy team, but are QBs & WRs becoming more and more valuable these days (ala run & shoot in the early 90's)?

QBs yes, WRs no.

QBs numbers should go up, but the WRs they throw to are many. Value based drafting or whatever you want to call it still shows that RBs are the most valuable FF commodity. (Well, unless you have some sort of odd scoring system.)

971968[/snapback]

Good call, Cap'n.

QBs yes, WRs no.

QBs numbers should go up, but the WRs they throw to are many. Value based drafting or whatever you want to call it still shows that RBs are the most valuable FF commodity. (Well, unless you have some sort of odd scoring system.)

971968[/snapback]

Agreed. Tight ends have staged a comeback too, further diluting the points to be gained from receivers.

Agreed.  Tight ends have staged a comeback too, further diluting the points to be gained from receivers.

971981[/snapback]

I beg to differ here.

The new rules have brought the TE numbers up.

It was said here that QBs stats rose after the new rules, and WRs numbers not just because there are many guys to throw to. Well, that would not make sense, since there have always been many people to throw to, so their numbers would have to go up too, just by a lesser margin.

But (you knew that was coming :D )

my take on that is that due to that new rules and calling more often single-back formations are called, TEs take away much of the additional stats (cover 2 --> seam routes + mismatches created by the TEs that are impossible to overcome by LBs or SSs with physical play, because of said rules).

Combine all this information and you get why the "peyton manning draft strategy" has gained much value, epsecially in scoring systems where all TDs count the same.

At the same time though, there is a counter-movement in progress i think.

Because of the need to improve cover-schemes and quality in the defensive backfields less long TDs will be thrown in the future. Because of that more and more goal-line situations will materialize, making RBs (especially powerbacks) more valueable again. And this will in the end lower QB stats again (at least the all-so-important TD points in fantasy leagues).

If those power-backs are more valueable though, more money will be spent on them, leaving less for WRs or DBs, again working for or against the improved QB numbers, jdepending on which side of the ball teams decide to keep spending (normally offense, so work for QB numbers again).

what we get is a always spinning wheel of development.

thats a VERY good thing, else the NFL would stagnate.

Edited by Zia

Peyton Manning & Co. took full advantage of the new no contact rule.  OCs have had an additional year to scheme, plan and implement.    I know the RB is king for a succesfull fantasy team, but are QBs & WRs becoming more and more valuable these days (ala run & shoot in the early 90's)?

971960[/snapback]

depends on what you mean - wide receivers as a position - yes

as individual players? no

2004 was the first time in 5 years that there were no 100 catch WR.

I beg to differ here.

The new rules have brought the TE numbers up.

It was said here that QBs stats rose after the new rules, and WRs numbers not just because there are many guys to throw to. Well, that would not make sense, since there have always been many people to throw to, so their numbers would have to go up too, just by a lesser margin.

But (you knew that was coming  :D )

my take on that is that due to that new rules and calling more often single-back formations are called, TEs take away much of the additional stats (cover 2 --> seam routes + mismatches created by the TEs that are impossible to overcome by LBs or SSs with physical play, because of said rules).

Combine all this information and you get why the "peyton manning draft strategy" has gained much value, epsecially in scoring systems where all TDs count the same.

At the same time though, there is a counter-movement in progress i think.

Because of the need to improve cover-schemes and quality in the defensive backfields less long TDs will be thrown in the future. Because of that more and more goal-line situations will materialize, making RBs (especially powerbacks) more valueable again. And this will in the end lower QB stats again (at least the all-so-important TD points in fantasy leagues).

If those power-backs are more valueable though, more money will be spent on them, leaving less for WRs or DBs, again working for or against the improved QB numbers, jdepending on which side of the ball teams decide to keep spending (normally offense, so work for QB numbers again).

what we get is a always spinning wheel of development.

thats a VERY good thing, else the NFL would stagnate.

972047[/snapback]

Very well put. I will definantly keep an eye on the goal line TDs. Just when I'm thinking quick shifty pass catching backs are comming to the forefront of fantasy stratagy, you argue that the thick backs with speed and power are on the rise....

depends on what you mean - wide receivers as a position - yes

as individual players? no

2004 was the first time in 5 years that there were no 100 catch WR.

972050[/snapback]

Marvin Harrison had what - a 144 catch season in 2002? Hello Brandon Stokely!