[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

New York Jets

DawgTalk

With the addition of Vinny, an old old man, but in good physical shape may help to improve the lacking Jets offense. Im not saying look for the playoffs, but i think the value of cumar, coles, mccariens, and baker have to all improved in a fantasy prospective.

Would you think of trading for these guys now while they are not on the radar? Or are the Jets O still the Jets O....

These aren't Vinny's Jets in any sense of the word.  New playbook, new OC, and he isn't even starting this week.  I'd say you've got a week or so for all Jets' skill players to remain well off the radar.

1025728[/snapback]

Agreed.

With the addition of Vinny, an old old man, but in good physical shape may help to improve the lacking Jets offense.  Im not saying look for the playoffs, but i think the value of cumar, coles, mccariens, and baker have to all improved in a fantasy prospective.

Would you think of trading for these guys now while they are not on the radar?  Or are the Jets O still the Jets O....

1025715[/snapback]

their value cant get lower. truthfully, bollinger isnt awful in the sense that he probably has a stronger arm than pennington. Bollinger isnt a rookie and has been with the team for 3 years and has worked with McCareins extensively this year and last. I wouldnt be shocked if McCareins suddenly sees an uptick in production (lets not get crazy though, he is barely a blip on the radar right now).

Im going to hold on to him and drop Colbert. I dont think I will regret losing either of them, but McCareins actually seems to have a little upside here.

Call me crazy, but as a lifelong Jets fan, one thing i know is they usually underperform when expectations are high and perform suprisingly well when they are written off. Dont be shocked to see them win some games and finish around 8-8.

If Testaverde plays, McCareins also would be the beneficiary as Vinny can certainly get the ball down the field. They wont win games because, well, hes Vinny!! Interceptaverde is what he is. But darn, he always threw a pretty ball so someone will catch a few of them.

Get McCareins as a throw in if you can stash him on the bench. Im not advocating that these guys are going to go on and have monster seasons, just that they have potentially more value than perceived right now.

Fantasy wise, well, let's just say I'm glad I don't have any Jets players on my team.

In the real world, though, I would say that Vinny is not that far of a dropoff from Pennington. Let's face it, Chad was having about the worst start of a season any qb has ever had. Vinny can't be worse, can he?

Pennington's career is effectively over. It sounds harsh, but the Jets should cut him, take the salary cap hits, and move on. Unfortunately, the finances might put them out of the running for, let's say, Drew Brees to come there next year.

Edit: I actually think Pennington would LOVE to get the hell out of New York. He's been fighting an uphill battle against the fans and media his whole career.

Edited by Skilly

Pennington was really hurt. They should never have tried to bring him back. A real mistake that other teams will probably learn from in the future. This is the NFL and your shoulder can't just be okay - it has to be to the point where you could go pitch 9 innings for the NY Yankees if you needed to.

Getting Fiedler in the offseason was a decent move, and they should have had him starting from the word go - brought Pennington back maybe in the second half of the season.

Are they better off with BB and Vinny T versus having a banged up Chad out there? Probably a bit.

I was watching that game, and Pennington was all over the place before he got hurt. One pass to Coles was so high over the middle, it could have killed him right there. Really scary.

Buy low and sell high. I'm not getting rid of Coles at all right now.

Pennington was really hurt.  They should never have tried to bring him back.  A real mistake that other teams will probably learn from in the future.  This is the NFL and your shoulder can't just be okay - it has to be to the point where you could go pitch 9 innings for the NY Yankees if you needed to.

Getting Fiedler in the offseason was a decent move, and they should have had him starting from the word go - brought Pennington back maybe in the second half of the season.

Are they better off with BB and Vinny T versus having a banged up Chad out there?  Probably a bit. 

I was watching that game, and Pennington was all over the place before he got hurt.  One pass to Coles was so high over the middle, it could have killed him right there.  Really scary. 

Buy low and sell high.  I'm not getting rid of Coles at all right now.

1026351[/snapback]

Well, as a huge JETS fan, let me say that the fans were immeidately smitten with Pennington. He created his own problems with the media. The fans still wanted to love him. And still do.

Unfortunately, its going to be a huge uphill battle for him to come back from 2 major shoulder surgeries. The JETS have no prospects at QB right now, so the team has built a potentially great defense, has a very solid Offensive Line that isnt getting any younger really and a 32 year old future hall of famer at RB that has another good year left (maybe).

But the defense is very very young still. The secondary (Rhodes, Coleman, Street) is young and Ty Law can be a great mentor to them. Vilma is a total stud, perennial all pro and solid citizen. With Pennington history, you lock up Abraham and Ellis and build the team around the defense. Draft a young QB this year with a good draft pick, pick up a veteran for next season and hope for the best.

the offense will take a few years to rebuild and by then, if they can keep the defense together contractually, the JETS will get back to contending. But this is a huge setback. Pennington was the QB of the future. The sobering reality is that there is NO QB and NO RB of the future there. A bit bleak.